PSIO

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Is anyone aware of this? It essentially looks like a PS1 flashcart. It will be available again in February.

http://ps-io.com/

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Seemed kinda pricey for what it was, and you still need to solder parts on. Modchip seems cheaper and easier in the long run. Cool idea though.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Seemed kinda pricey for what it was, and you still need to solder parts on. Modchip seems cheaper and easier in the long run. Cool idea though.

Price is in line with what other people sell similar items for (GDEMU/Rhea/flash carts/etc.). However, I'm definitely gonna wait until they work out the bugs and/or someone else comes out with a similar item that's less of a hassle. Lot of amazing PS1 games I'd like to replay without having spindles of discs lying around.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I had written it off as vaporware considering how long it was "85% done", was pleasantly surprised when it actually came out. Will eventually pick one up, though I'm still hoping they eventually make a USB version.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Is anyone aware of this? It essentially looks like a PS1 flashcart. It will be available again in February.

http://ps-io.com/

been watching it for years it feels like. checking in every few months or so.

plan to get one when they go back in stock or maybe when the price goes down a bit.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I've got one. It works pretty well. The only bummer is that currently there are no options to speed up data access. I've ripped my library of about 90 games and haven't had too many issues yet that weren't already known in regards to game compatibility.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
It would be much cooler if you didn't have to solder just as many wires as a PIC based mod chip.
You can still go down to any thrift store in the world and trip over 5 PS1s with $5 price tags on them.
You can also buy a shitty USB PIC programmer and pic12F508 on Ebay for $10 total, and make your own mod chip, and spend $25 on a big spindle of 100 CD-Rs.

It's still neat from a technical standpoint, and I appreciate the skill involved to design it.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Not having to mess with a laser anymore is a nice bonus. This is the one that runs off the EXT port right?

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
yeah it runs off the EXT

I think some of the people in this thread don't really get the idea of a flashcart or ODE lol

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
yeah it runs off the EXT

I think some of the people in this thread don't really get the idea of a flashcart or ODE lol

Exactly, because that stack of CD-R's isn't going to help you when your laser dies. I've been waiting for the PSIO for years, and now I forgot about it and missed the first batch. :(

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I forgot this thing even existed. Nice it came out, bummer that it isn't just plug and play. Doesn't seem like too much trouble to fit the mod but not as seamless as some people would like. I wonder how much the price of PS1's with EXT ports has gone up since the release?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Exactly, because that stack of CD-R's isn't going to help you when your laser dies. I've been waiting for the PSIO for years, and now I forgot about it and missed the first batch. :(

Laser assemblies for PS1 are $10-$15 on ebay, and don't require soldering experience.

Not saying it's worthless, just very niche and expensive for that niche need.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Laser assemblies for PS1 are $10-$15 on ebay, and don't require soldering experience.

Not saying it's worthless, just very niche and expensive for that niche need.

How long will they be available?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
How long will this hobbyist made item still be available for?
The KSS440 laser assembly is plentiful and easy to find. They still make new ones today.

You can buy them from china by the hundreds.

I think this is a neat item, but it's hardly practical considering how easy it is to get replacement parts and install them for your average person.

I'll probably buy one at some point.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I bought one more for the fact that I worry less about finding a laser for the PS1, and more of the discs holding up in another 20 years. I definitely have a few that are developing strange defects on their layers.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Man it's crazy that it's been over two years since we saw videos of the prototype running.

Time sure flies. I'll be interested to see how well the compatibility fares once it's officially released.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

yeah i've got a couple of ps1s with bad lasers. plus i'm tired of dicking around with CDRs, especially since the ISOs i use are very finicky about working/burning properly.

I really hate burning ps1 games. Never have any problems with Saturn Dreamcast or PS2.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
It's been weird though. One has an odd defect on the black coating that looks like evenly spaced tree rings, though it didn't seem to have an issue ripping luckily. Another one seemed oxidized on an outer portion. Had a few others where the disc seemed fine, but would refuse to dump certain sectors but looked perfect when held to a light source. Usually I don't buy much into bit rot, and in fairness I only really had issues with 4 of 90 games.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I've had extremely bad luck with ps1 lasers over the years, even ones that have never played a burned game. So yeah I can totally appreciate projects like this. I'll have to pay more attention.

jugu

New Challenger
I'm waiting to hear what they have available for the smaller PSOne as it doesn't have the EXT port. I too fear and hate dealing with the death of moving mechanisms and lasers.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I completely forgot about this and am glad it's finally done. I was under the impression that with OG PS systems this was plug and play and wires needed to be soldered for the PSOne.