OG xbox plz halp!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I got an OG xbox with a broken hard drive. Doing some research, I know a couple things about it:

1. It's a version 1.3 xbox
2. The hard drive is broken beyond any repair
3. DVD seems to work
4. It's unmodded (maybe soft-modded).
5. No, I do not have a backup of EEPROM.BIN

So, any idea what can I do to fix this? I am planning on getting and installing an xecutor2.6 modchip, but what about the hard drive? can I get any hard drive or should it be a specific one?

Thanks for any pointers on this.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Hi

I got an OG xbox with a broken hard drive. Doing some research, I know a couple things about it:

1. It's a version 1.3 xbox
2. The hard drive is broken beyond any repair
3. DVD seems to work
4. It's unmodded (maybe soft-modded).
5. No, I do not have a backup of EEPROM.BIN

So, any idea what can I do to fix this? I am planning on getting and installing an xecutor2.6 modchip, but what about the hard drive? can I get any hard drive or should it be a specific one?

Thanks for any pointers on this.

If you install a mod chip you will be able to drop in any hard drive and then boot slayers from a disc and use it to format the hard drive. That's pretty much your only option as you would need the key off the hard drive for all the soft mods.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Your only way for that one is modchip. The moment you restore the xbox again do a tsop and unistall the chip you're not going to need it again. The hdd is a little problem if you are going the sata way because the converters are a pain to work with the xbox, just a few work fine and you have to deep search for them. So find an IDE drive restore the xbox and do tsop then work with the sata ones to find a working one. With tsop is the same as having a chip installed but better.

Saludos

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Your only way for that one is modchip. The moment you restore the xbox again do a tsop and unistall the chip you're not going to need it again. The hdd is a little problem if you are going the sata way because the converters are a pain to work with the xbox, just a few work fine and you have to deep search for them. So find an IDE drive restore the xbox and do tsop then work with the sata ones to find a working one. With tsop is the same as having a chip installed but better.

Saludos

The following SATA adapter works perfectly fine; I picked one up for $6 at Fry's:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-SATA-Bridge-Board-ADP-06/dp/B002SZDOM6

Just wait until you get the modchip and don't bother with finding a IDE hard drive. Any non-green SATA drive should do.

As said before, if your hard drive is dead and you don't have your EEPROM.bin, a modchip is the only way you are going to be able to restore the Xbox to a functional state.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks for the help guys, I'll get the modchip and see how this goes. Any recommendations on where to get the modchip? is modchipcentral.com a trustworthy source for it?

Just wait until you get the modchip and don't bother with finding a IDE hard drive. Any non-green SATA drive should do.

What's a non-green drive?

Edit: Nevermind, I checked what's a green drive: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649&p=5605

Thanks!

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys, I'll get the modchip and see how this goes. Any recommendations on where to get the modchip? is modchipcentral.com a trustworthy source for it?

Thanks!

Check the sales forum on Assembler Games. That will be your best bet.