Jvc X'eye repair

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
It's been a few months since I used my X'eye. Tried to play it yesterday and it won't boot up carts. CD games play fine, but carts won't load and if they do load there is no sound. Is this fixable by anyone on here? I would rather have it fixed than buy a new one with the price of these things.

leonk

Marked Wolf
WOW. It's typically the other way around (CD's don't load but carts do).

What PSU are you using? Have you tried cleaning the carts first? Sounds like potential pin issue. The X'Eye works exactly like Sega Genesis. If it doesn't detect a cart, it boots the CD BIOS which then starts the CD. The CD BIOS can be considered to be a game soldered inside! There's nothing different between CD's and carts except for the slot.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I'm using a replacement psu that outputs the proper 9.5v. I've tried the carts on my jgen and they work fine except for Battletoads (I've learned now that cart took a shit.). The carts go to that sega licensing screen and then don't load. I did a full playthrough of Robo Aleste and Final fight cd with no problem. It's really odd.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This is really strange, sound works fine on the CD side? I wouldn't think it's a cart slot issue as the sound data doesn't use its own bus like on the Neo Geo. I couldn't easily find a scan of the X'Eye service manual or a schematic so I'm not sure what logic chips might be causing the issue.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
This is really strange, sound works fine on the CD side? I wouldn't think it's a cart slot issue as the sound data doesn't use its own bus like on the Neo Geo. I couldn't easily find a scan of the X'Eye service manual or a schematic so I'm not sure what logic chips might be causing the issue.

Yeah, CD works fine. Im gonna try a new psu and hopefully its just the one I have going to shit.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
New psu, same problems. Opened it up to look for possible bad traces, but I couldn't get a good look with the mods in the way. Kinda thinking this thing may be fubar.

Ghudda

New Challenger
New psu, same problems. Opened it up to look for possible bad traces, but I couldn't get a good look with the mods in the way. Kinda thinking this thing may be fubar.

What all modifications have been done to the console? One of the mods could be causing issues?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
S-video and region switch. I'll open up the case again after work and get some pics.

leonk

Marked Wolf
My only suggestion is to undo everything and restore it. Why anyone will do an S-Video mod on any Sega compatible console is beyond me. The system is able to output pure RGB. Use an external box to convert from RGB to whatever video format you want. My personal X'Eye was unable to boot any CD. It turned out to be a dead BIOS. I ended burning a new BIOS (region free) and soldering it in place. No need for switch.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I can't really see an s-video mod preventing carts from booting, but that's just IMO.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I ended up selling it and getting a Mega Drive and a Sega CD model 1. Now its a matter of getting a region switch and a region free bios. Hate that I had to sell it but it covered most of the cost.

Redguard

New Challenger
My only suggestion is to undo everything and restore it. Why anyone will do an S-Video mod on any Sega compatible console is beyond me. The system is able to output pure RGB. Use an external box to convert from RGB to whatever video format you want. My personal X'Eye was unable to boot any CD. It turned out to be a dead BIOS. I ended burning a new BIOS (region free) and soldering it in place. No need for switch.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

aaluis

n00b

Dear leonk,

I know this is two yers old, but Im trying to fix my X'eye and information on the internet is very little and limmited on the issue, same as your X-Eye, mine wont boot CD's, It is freezed in the X logo, no music nor insert disc banner and the laser pick up and cd motor dont even spin or move a bit, how did you knew you had a bad Bios? I tried loading the CD Bios (Several different Bios from CD2 to Wonder Mega) through an Everdrive cartidge with same results, same freeze.

I hope you can throw me a bone in this, Thanks in advance for your help.!

Best Regards.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Usually a freeze on the BIOS screen indicates that the console is trying to communicate with the CD drive, but is unable to do so. A few suggestions:

1) Disconnect and reconnect the CD board internally to ensure a good connection to the main board.

2) Try a different power supply.

3) Replace all capacitors - including inside the power supply.

4) Confirm continuity on all BIOS traces.

aaluis

n00b
Usually a freeze on the BIOS screen indicates that the console is trying to communicate with the CD drive, but is unable to do so. A few suggestions:

1) Disconnect and reconnect the CD board internally to ensure a good connection to the main board.

2) Try a different power supply.

3) Replace all capacitors - including inside the power supply.

4) Confirm continuity on all BIOS traces.

Thank you very much for your reply!

I have done 1 and 2, when I got the console a few weeks ago, I noted previous owner replaced all caps, but I am tempted to change them all again, what I urgently need to do is to check all Bios traces from start to end (Great Idea).

As soon as I check that I will post the results.

Best Regards.

Last edited: