King of Dragons CPS1 issues

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
I recently purchased a King of Dragons CPS1 board, it came without an A board so I tested it on a known working one from SF II WW. It did nothing. I checked the voltage on the C board battery and it was dead.

So I removed the battery and did the fix from the Dead Battery Society http://www.arcadecollecting.com/dead/ reburnt the 4 roms (30,31,37,38) using the ETC 910805 (I used this set as the rom names matched the labels on the board) and still nothing.

I noticed that the capacitor at CCX2 on the C board is missing. Would that prevent it from working? What type of capacitor are these? Is it ceramic? The capacitors at the other CCX positions have 10 10 A+ printed on them, what is a replacement for it?

Then I tested the C board on my known working SF II HF A & B board and it didn't boot. Either something is wrong with the fix, or there is something else wrong with C board. I double checked that pins 45 & 46 no longer have any continuity to ground, and that they have continuity to the diode where the wire is connected to.

35natxx.jpg

The C board on SF II HF is the same B-21, so I put that on the King of Dragons. It boots up and plays, however lots of sprites are missing. Can you not just do a straight swap on these C boards? Would the SF II HF C board need to be modified to work on King of Dragons? I don't really want to do that.

2kk1zd.jpg

15y64vt.jpg

2dhe8ao.jpg

I burnt the rooms again using a mixture of ST27C1001-12F1 & 15F, as 3 of the four roms were rated at 20F and still the sprites are missing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Board pic with SF II' C board:
6jg8e9.jpg

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
C boards are part of the copy protection of cps1 games, therefore they are not 100% interchangeable between games.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
CCX2 is a decoupling capacitor, its absent should not be causing the board not to boot.

We have a lot of variable here. Are you absolutely sure you are using the correct program set because KOD should have booted correctly when you used your know good working SF2 C board. If you have missing graphics at this stage you have a bad program/phoenix set, bad mask rom(s) or a faulty b board. You need to narrow this down by check summing your mask roms and verifying your program roms.

As for the original KOD C board, I am scared when you said it did not boot with your street fighter board did you maybe notice that your 5 volt rail dropped to zero volts because that is what will happen if you don't cut those two traces on those pins, your are creating a dead short.

Do you have a multimeter, if so set it to continuity and probe pins 10 and 20 of IC5 and tell us if you hear a beep or not.

Last edited:

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
CCX2 is a decoupling capacitor, its absent should not be causing the board not to boot.

We have a lot of variable here. Are you absolutely sure you are using the correct program set because KOD should have booted correctly when you used your know good working SF2 C board. If you have missing graphics at this stage you have a bad program/phoenix set, bad mask rom(s) or a faulty b board. You need to narrow this down by check summing your mask roms and verifying your program roms.

As for the original KOD C board, I am scared when you said it did not boot with your street fighter board did you maybe notice that your 5 volt rail dropped to zero volts because that is what will happen if you don't cut those two traces on those pins, your are creating a dead short.

Do you have a multimeter, if so set it to continuity and probe pins 10 and 20 of IC5 and tell us if you hear a beep or not.

Thanks mate, when I get a chance I'll check everything out. I bought a replacement cap today as well.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Had some similar problems with my dead KOD board not long ago. Take a look the the latest post of this thread I created about the issue: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Reviving-the-CPS1-borad-questions&highlight=

Long story short, only the 32Mbit fixed eeprom from set ETC 910711 worked for me.

Be aware though that the fix doesn't work 100% correctly, as it seems the set hasn't been completely decrypted. The game will run fine, but there are (mainly) minor graphic glitches here and there.

Good luck!

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Had some similar problems with my dead KOD board not long ago. Take a look the the latest post of this thread I created about the issue: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Reviving-the-CPS1-borad-questions&highlight=

Long story short, only the 32Mbit fixed eeprom from set ETC 910711 worked for me.

Be aware though that the fix doesn't work 100% correctly, as it seems the set hasn't been completely decrypted. The game will run fine, but there are (mainly) minor graphic glitches here and there.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I just burnt that version and put in slot 34 and all seems to working great. This is with the SFII HF C board.

I haven't really had a chance to mess around with the original c board any further. But there is no continuity from pin 10 to 20 on IC5. So have I fried IC5? Or was it already stuffed?

Last edited: