The Big Day

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
For those who are curious, I only paid 35k for the place because the guy who owned is a friend of my Dad. A guy who owns a lot of rental houses in that area already offered up 45k for it as it sits if I want to dump it. The houses around there that are half decent sell from 50k to 70k. Even if I spend another 20 on it I stand to be able to make some cash.

Also, the thought of bed bugs really bothers me. Fuck those things.

On a side note they jammed up all the drains before they left.

So I figure I'm not in a bad place really on the house. Its a shit mess now though to be sure.

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Just shocking that people can live in that...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Just shocking that people can live in that...

Seriously.

My girlfriend has 2 cats, and I freak out over the litter box. I won't put anything in my mouth, without washing my hands twice in a row. I could not imagine living in that place, as is.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Seriously though man, look for bedbugs. You do not want to track those fuckers in your current home. It is highly likely they have them. Get a shit pair of shoes, and never wear them in your current home, and when you get home, immediately strip down, and throw your shit in the dryer for a long time, on high heat.

So, will they just die if no one lives there? Do they need people to live off of?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So, will they just die if no one lives there? Do they need people to live off of?

They do need a host to live off of. But they are incredibly tough. They can live 6 months, to a year, or even more without a feeding on a human.

They love shoes, and that is how they are normally transmitted from house to house. Bags are also a place they like to crawl into to travel, especially things like backpacks.

There are 2 ways to kill them, chemicals, or heat, or a combination of each. They are incredibly slow. That's why they say at the movie theater, where they tend to end up, if you put a plastic bag on your seat they can not get around it in time. Don't know how true that is though.

They tend to surface at night, around 2 or 3 am to feed on hosts, and can be found by pulling up a mattress and checking underneath. You really have to look hard, they can be pretty small. It's hard to explain, but if you pull up your mattress, and look along the under edge, where there is a small piece of fabric where it sewn together and forms a flap over the actual mattress, they can be found there because they are flat, and like dark places. Couches are also another big hiding area, along with anything with a foam or cotton type soft bedding.

but back to the killing. Chemicals are good and all, but the heat kills them best, that's why I mentioned the dryer. The heaters you can buy, look like the fans that blow out air through a rectangular path directly across the floor, at floor level. If that makes sense. You have to get a strong one though. I think the recommended temperature to kill them is 160 degrees, and even then, they spread out to hide and survive. They can hide in places like the rough spots on brick walls to escape a heating, if that gives you an idea how small they can be sometimes. But normally, they are easily visible by the human eye. It normally requires a few heatings to fully get rid of them, and you can see by the temperature needed, this means throwing out all your shit. Like your couch, bed, pc, electronics, dvd cases, etc...

Anyway, I don't mean to worry you, just educate you a little on how serious it could be. At the hospital I work in, where we see bed bug cases almost daily, we are required to be educated on bedbugs. Plastic bags on you feet, tied up around your ankles would be a good idea, until you are sure you are safe. I'm not sure in your state how bad it is, but in Ohio bed bugs are BAD. So just throw out those mattresses, couches, etc.. first, check them outside, cut them open if you have to. And scan the house at night, after they come out. I personally would suggest going late just to check, and pitching that crap at like 3am just to be sure.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Reminds me of the living condition my uncle's ex wife used to keep their house in.

Fucking half eaten meals left on plates with flies buzzing around it type shit.

It was fucking hell having to go over there.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Can you just tent the place up and fumigate that shit?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Yeah I've heard horror stories of Bed bugs. This one person on TNL bought a Play item for his kid at TRU, Got home opened the box and found a Bed Bug in it, Instantly closed the box, sealed it in plastic, dragged it outside and then proceeded to spray his whole home and then called TRU and bitched them out royally for it.

It takes more then that. Bed Bugs are one of the worst vermin to remove. It's exspensive and costly if you try to get professionals to remove them. I recently had a minor black ant problem in my restroom of all places and I went out that same day and bombed the shit out of my bathroom. Hadn't seen the fuckers since but I still spray every other day because I don't want to see them anymore.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
For those who are curious, I only paid 35k for the place because the guy who owned is a friend of my Dad. A guy who owns a lot of rental houses in that area already offered up 45k for it as it sits if I want to dump it. The houses around there that are half decent sell from 50k to 70k. Even if I spend another 20 on it I stand to be able to make some cash.
I'd take the $10k now and be done with it. If you start to rehab it who knows what kind of shit you'll run into that'll cost you more than you expected with even less return on your investment. $10k on $35k is a hell of a nice ROI.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'd take the $10k now and be done with it. If you start to rehab it who knows what kind of shit you'll run into that'll cost you more than you expected with even less return on your investment. $10k on $35k is a hell of a nice ROI.

Agreed. A house like that only stands to have more issues due to neglect. I'd take the 10k and run.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Agreed. A house like that only stands to have more issues due to neglect. I'd take the 10k and run.

I agree take the 10k apply it to your othe down payment stash, but if not you get a discount at Home Depot for renovation stuff.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
White trash that think they are black LOVE writing quotes on walls. My sister in law lived just like this. Take out, empty bottles, dirty clothes, holes in the walls, and messages written all over the walls. I don't get it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
God this place is atrocious.

I'm thinking of buying a Detroit fix-er upper, but I don't know if I have the patience to restore it. Good luck, duder!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

Thirded.

Please do this. The chance of bugs, coupled w/ allies of these people being neighbors, means:

Your life will be hell if you stay
or
The tenants you will be able to attract (and RETAIN) will very likely be of this ilk.

CBA, man. CBA.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Thirded.

Please do this. The chance of bugs, coupled w/ allies of these people being neighbors, means:

Your life will be hell if you stay
or
The tenants you will be able to attract (and RETAIN) will very likely be of this ilk.

CBA, man. CBA.

I'd be more worried about the drainage issue. If they poured something like concrete down the pipes to clog em, that's an easy 15-20k in repairs.

God this place is atrocious.

I'm thinking of buying a Detroit fix-er upper, but I don't know if I have the patience to restore it. Good luck, duder!

Just buy the house and bulldoze it. Sit on the lot and wait for housing boom in Detroit. That's how the old man made all his money.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
+1 for the flip, that whole neighborhood sounds like a scumpit, not even worth fucking with

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Flip it quick and get out of there. You'll spend a fortune just on exterminator fees. The pics are amazing.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Spent the morning over at the house. I've got more pictures of things that I took today and will post them later.

The people were in the house for several years. They are the only ones who were letting it run down, so before that it was well kept. I figure about 6 or so years of filth and neglect there. Originally the house had vaulted type ceilings. that drop down tile was added much later and I looked above it, and to my shock it is pretty nice up there.

If I were going to flip it, the plan was to just fix what was needed, clean it up and try to make some cash. I was going to change out the old fuse box, things like that. The lot with the garage on it like it is set up is worth pretty decent really. I think that just cleaned up and some basic repairs done I would have no trouble selling it. I spent some more time looking things over and I feel like the most of the issues are cosmetic.

The drains I don't think they did much more than just cram whatever they had handy down them at the list few moments from what I can tell. So I don't think anything went past the p-traps. It is all coming out. The kitchen sink is actually something that if I had it refinished would be worth about 700 to 1k on it's own. Those have gotten to be pretty sought after items around these parts for some reason.

I've got a guy lined up to haul the crap off and he can have whatever he wants out of there. He will either clean up the appliances or sell them for scrap. Once I've got it empty I'm going to deal with the bug problem, or at least start on it and see how that goes.

After, that then I will spend some time figuring some costs of repairs and what would be worth fixing that would help me profit.

There are about 3 neighbors that are scum from what I can tell. The one right next door, one kind of across the street, and one down the street a ways. The house behind it and the other two across from it have older people who are keeping their property up nice. I'm sure they are happy to see those crack heads move out. I plan on going to introduce myself to them in the near future, and ask them to please call the police if they see anything going on at nights over there.

If I were going to stay over there I would just gut the whole house. Take out some windows, move the door, build into the back as there is plenty of room. I could spend 30k or so and not have more in it than it would be worth. The question is do I want to live there.

At the moment, I've a few thoughts on that. I hope with that criminal element gone, things will improve. If the neighbors who are scum find out that their shit won't be tolerated and that I'm well armed, then maybe they will move on or leave me alone. Also I think those houses are just rented so there is that, good or bad.

I find that scum only buddies up when it is convenient. I don't think they really have any kind of actual friendships or normal human relations, so don't expect those fuckers to really come around for very long to visit their friends. They will move on and find other people to inter into a mutual using relationship with, new dope smoking buddies and such. I would think they couldn't get any place near where they were due to the way rental property is here. The agencies keep each other informed on who won't pay, so renting from a rental company is out for that kind of scum. The guy I think works part time for the scummiest rental agency in town and they won't rent to him. So their only shot is just an individual who doesn't really do a good background info check. Also, the people with rental property tend to know the others with rental property in the near them, so I would think this scum is going to need to be across town, where they aren't well known. I mean when you have a scum bag in your neighborhood, everyone knows who they are.

The house has a lot of potential. I just am not going to do too much to it until I have some time to see how things go over there. A part of me says just get the fuck out, while part of me says, that for the money I would spend that I could build something nicer out of the house than what I could buy with that amount of cash.

I just don't know yet, but later I'll post some pictures. Got into the garage, found out what the black things in the plastic container were, and you won't believe it. Looked in the lunch box.. and some other stuff.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, at least now that you have the house free and clear, you can use it as collateral to get a loan.

It normally requires a few heatings to fully get rid of them, and you can see by the temperature needed, this means throwing out all your shit. Like your couch, bed, pc, electronics, dvd cases, etc...

Unless your bed has an ornate or fabric head board, it makes no sense to throw it or the mattresses out.