Anyone know if ebay seller kleric13 is okay?

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
Like everybody wrote already...

stick to MVS since you'll most likely want to play the games and not just collect them.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
PC + usb controller ($40) + romz (free no charge) = $40
Fuck AES & MVS
You have $960 left in your pocket

Do the math right

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Assume that if you don't personally know the seller and his rep, your more than likely to take a bath and get screwed.

I haven't bought anything AES of high value in the last few years unless I knew who I was buying from. I love AES, and still collect for it, but you have to get used to the idea of having to wait forever for everything to align and for something you want to be for sale by someone you know and trust.

I've been collecting for Neo for almost a decade. You missed the good years where prices were semi reasonable and people weren't out to turn a dishonest buck by screwing other people over

Collecting for AES makes no sense. Yes I do it...but it still doesn't make sense. Too damn risk

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It sounds like you're looking at cost of entry into the neo world. The Omega is made by shadowkn here on the boards, made with quality and he can help you out if you have issues.

Your cost analysis is basic, but once you're done playing fatal fury and SamSho, you're going to want to play some llatformers, shooters, the slugs and etc. These are 1) highly desired, 2) stupid expensive and 3) most likely to be bootlegs if bought on eBay. There's where it gets insanely expensive, not the hardware but the cost of legit games.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
S-Video, and Component out w/ stereo sound
- Unibios 3.0

I guess the aes might have those?

I guess component doesn't matter much to scart folk. unibios is fun though

That's a good point. There's unlikely to be Unibios...

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Assume that if you don't personally know the seller and his rep, your more than likely to take a bath and get screwed.

I haven't bought anything AES of high value in the last few years unless I knew who I was buying from. I love AES, and still collect for it, but you have to get used to the idea of having to wait forever for everything to align and for something you want to be for sale by someone you know and trust.

I've been collecting for Neo for almost a decade. You missed the good years where prices were semi reasonable and people weren't out to turn a dishonest buck by screwing other people over

Collecting for AES makes no sense. Yes I do it...but it still doesn't make sense. Too damn risk

I take your point on this. It makes a lot of sense. But if I have an AES and a converter, doesn't that allow me to go MVS on the expensive games and AES on the cheaper ones? So, I can kind of collect both. Most of the cheaper AES games are fairly safe in terms of boots, aren't they? Please do let me know if I'm wrong in this regard.

I mean, would it be safe, for instance, to buy the all Metal Slug series on MVS but, for example, buy all the King of Fighters as AES? So, to kind of have a mixed collection. Could that be safe and affordable-ish?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
MVS has all the titles outside of a select few that are CD only. Buy MVS man, I know you want to have an AES and it looks cool. You won't be playing Metal Slug X MVS on an AES with a Magic Key converter either. Game won't boot. Plus, 120 in 1 doesn't work with a converter. MVS man, stop chasing dragons.

heroin_hero_de.jpg

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^This.

You'll never catch them all. You're just setting yourself up for disappoint.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Collecting for AES is probably similar to looking for legit vagina in the Philippines.
It looks legit on the outside but if you go in, you're gonna get dicked either by the price or the boot, and then you will just keep that dirty secret to yourself all the way to the grave.

Spoiler:
You're taking a risk
Spoiler:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Collecting for AES is probably similar to looking for legit vagina in the Philippines.
It looks legit on the outside but if you go in, you're gonna get dicked either by the price or the boot, and then you will just keep that dirty secret to yourself all the way to the grave.

Spoiler:
You're taking a risk
Spoiler:

I think I'd feel dirtier after getting a bootleg cart than a surprise dick

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
as everybody here already pointed out: go with MVS. I also started AES, got some of the cheaper games but soon switched to MVS, I rarely ever use the AES anymore...
If you don't have a CRT or don't want to buy one: plan to get an XRGB mini, which is not that cheap either (around 300 bucks, if I remember correctly)...

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Okay, you've all convinced me. I will go MVS. After all, I don't want to wake up with a surprise Philippine-Boot-Vagina-Dick stuck in me each morning.

You have definitely convinced me though. I will go the MVS route. I can see the sense in it.

Then again, those shiny AES boxes and the AES console I dreamt about my entire childhood...

No, no, MVS.

I think.

Probably.

Just out of interest, why doesn't Metal Slug X work with a Magic key converter?

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Okay, you've all convinced me. I will go MVS. After all, I don't want to wake up with a surprise Philippine-Boot-Vagina-Dick stuck in me each morning.

You have definitely convinced me though. I will go the MVS route. I can see the sense in it.

Then again, those shiny AES boxes and the AES console I dreamt about my entire childhood...

No, no, MVS.

I think.

Probably.

If you are a super patient, and have money, you can go AES. Collecting AES is the "long game".

But if you want to play some awesome a fun neo games and can skip the box and manual, mvs is the way to go

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
You won't be playing Metal Slug X MVS on an AES with a Magic Key converter either. Game won't boot.

Some older converters had issues with it, but MSX works perfectly on my AES using the Magic Key converter and an original cart, just like the 161in1 (does not return to menu keeping pressed Start, though). However, NGDevTeam releases do not work using this combo (tested only Razion and Gunlord).

Last edited:

AESGuy

New Challenger
Listen to those guys here and ask yourself a simple question, which amount would you spend for a single game? Even the "cheap" games like Magican Lord, Nam75 and Sengoku 1 had a price shift within the last year. You can also get nice shockboxes with inserts for MVS games. So at the end listen to your brain and your wallet, not your heart;)

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Yeah, I know you guys are right.

If it just wasn't for how seductive and shiny they are, the art on the boxes, the way they have aged... The pictures of them, they are Palpatine calling "you want this, don't you..."

Still, without any doubt you have all steered me away from pure AES. There is now no chance I will ever do it. I will either go MVS or MVS + some AES.

Whichever of these two paths I take, however, I'm going to do it slowly and patiently.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yeah, I know you guys are right.

If it just wasn't for how seductive and shiny they are, the art on the boxes, the way they have aged... The pictures of them, they are Palpatine calling "you want this, don't you..."

Still, without any doubt you have all steered me away from pure AES. There is now no chance I will ever do it. I will either go MVS or MVS + some AES.

Whichever of these two paths I take, however, I'm going to do it slowly and patiently.

you-chose-mentors-online-wisely.jpg

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Hi guys,

Having chosen wisely and decided upon the MVS route, I'm now left with the question of where to buy the games. It's a simple question but what is the best way to go about this?

I'm keeping an eye on what's selling on the forum but I think I will also need to buy elsewhere as well.

Everyone said that buying AES on ebay was too dangerous but can I risk it with MVS? For instance, if the seller provides images of the opened cart and I check with forum members, would that be safe enough?

Your guidance has been invaluable so far and stopped me making a big and unaffordable mistake regarding taking the AES path. Hopefully I can now start making my first purchases.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
you don't need to do all of that. http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page has the board scans. you don't need to verify before buying, if they say original and thats not what you get you're covered with paypal? just be careful not to crease the labels.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
you don't need to do all of that. http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page has the board scans. you don't need to verify before buying, if they say original and thats not what you get you're covered with paypal? just be careful not to crease the labels.

You're right, that is simpler, thanks.

Yeah, I had heard that you can end up accidentally creasing the label when you open up the carts. Is there a guide anywhere regarding how to do it properly or is simply a matter of doing it very carefully and slowly?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I don't think theres a guide since its so 'simple'
only open so far as necessary i.m.o. its not easy to perfect because of the gap in the middle.

if you at least consider it you won't trash anything, probably.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A flash light through the slots on a cart will be good enough 99% of the time.