Anyone know if ebay seller kleric13 is okay?

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Anyone know if ebay seller kleric13 is okay?

I'm just starting to build a collection and wondered if any of you have experience with him?

Also, would welcome any basic dos and donts for someone at the beginning of aes.

Thanks!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
just dont.
theres a few recent threads discussing why,overinflated prices and the saturation of non authentic goods in whats available are a couple reasons.

kleric13? never heard of him. I suppose cuz I'm not aes at all. ebay never heard of that spelling either listed, sold or completed.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
df20e4ddeca2169637a7f558a4194279.jpg

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
So, don't do AES at all?

If that's the case, if someone had an initial budget of £500 / US$1000 to start, how would you suggest they approach neo geo gaming?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
just dont.
theres a few recent threads discussing why,overinflated prices and the saturation of non authentic goods in whats available are a couple reasons.

kleric13? never heard of him. I suppose cuz I'm not aes at all. ebay never heard of that spelling either listed, sold or completed.

No, let him, he should buy all he AES he wants. It's a great thing to collect for. Spend all of your money on the sub standard games that are affordable. That leaves all the other games for other people to buy. Have fun going broke.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
I really don't understand. On ebay I can buy an AES system for about £250 / $500 with a game and controller. A second controller for about £65 / $130. Leaving me £185 / $370 for another game.

So, surely for buying a system and the first couple of games, it's enough, isn't it?

Or am I missing something here? I did say initial budget.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I really don't understand. On ebay I can buy an AES system for about £250 / $500 with a game and controller. A second controller for about £65 / $130. Leaving me £185 / $370 for another game.

So, surely for buying a system and the first couple of games, it's enough, isn't it?

Or am I missing something here? I did say initial budget.

I don't know why, but I'm feeling nice today...

You're going to get trolled here man. roll with it. Anyway, AES collecting stopped being a good idea for most people many years ago. That ship has sailed. Yes, you can get a console and some of the common games for a reasonable budget, but anything really rare or sought after just isn't worth it. Too many bootlegs. AES is pretty much to the point where if you don't personally know the seller you better be prepared to get fucked over.

MVS is a somewhat viable option (either consolized, or get a converter to play the carts on an AES). Even some of those games are getting expensive but still nowhere near the AES prices.

My advice is fire up MAME, play some games, see what you like, and then worry about sinking money into it. Don't buy games you don't like, and be patient or you'll end up wasting a lot of money.

So, you're saying that for £500 / $1000 I can't even buy myself a system?

I sold my AES years ago. As a completionist it was just not a viable option for me. I also always considered Neo to be more of an arcade format anyway, so I got the full experience just buying a cab. Of course you don't need to buy an entire cab if its not the right option for you. As others have said there are consolized MVS systems or converter adapters for the AES. There are also a few more games for MVS.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
$1000?

Buy a consolized MVS system and a multicart. Use the leftover cash to buy whatever legit games you want after messing with the multicart. If you have a 161 in 1 and a 120 in 1 multicart you will be able to play 90% of the library on real hardware. By comparison, you could get a home cart system, Nam, Samurai Shodown 1 and 2, Magician Lord, and then the shitty common early games that nobody really plays but everyone has because they are cheap.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Listen to the guys talking about MVS and multi carts here.

Here is what you want.

If you want to only ever play neo geo games, get an Omega CMVS.

If you want to play other arcade stuff in the future. Like mvs AND other stuff like taito f3, cps1, cps2, etc... Then ask around if Xian Xi still makes super guns, and if he sells to new users, then while he's making that for you, get a 1, 2, or 4 slot Neo Geo MVS motherboard, with a socketed bios chip, and a controller. You can either buy an official neo geo controller, or check out places like focusattack.com and build a pimp custom stick, which is what I would recommend.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Don't waste your money on AES.

You'll be collecting PCE eventually and will be wondering why you wasted all your money on a system you can't even afford the best games for.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If you have some electronics/soldering skills, then get yourself a 2-slot MVS, consolize it and get the games you want for decent prices. Unless you want Samurai Shodown V Special or Ganryu, that is. If you have no skills at all, then ask and learn. Or buy an Omega, which is an excellent product. Anyway, do not get an AES. I made that mistake when I started. Still have it and use it, but have only 4 common games for it. The rest I play there are MVS carts played through a converter.

Regards and welcome to a great but money-pit hobby :)

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
skate323k137, DarkLordPsycho, GohanX, greedostick, F4U57 and aha2940, thanks so much for this advice. This is just what I needed. Without it I'm pretty much running around in the dark.

The reason I only want to spend £500 / $1000 initially is that I think for anything new someone's getting into it's best to take your time a bit at the beginning to get your bearings. The advice you've all given me is gonna make that a much easier process.

Thank you all again and I hope once I get going I can make some sort of contribution to the forum.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
The Omega CMVS does look very nice, I have to admit.

Regarding converters, which seems to be the other route possible, do they work well? Do they cause any game issues? Are there any you'd recommend and any you'd suggest avoiding?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The Omega CMVS does look very nice, I have to admit.

Regarding converters, which seems to be the other route possible, do they work well? Do they cause any game issues? Are there any you'd recommend and any you'd suggest avoiding?

There used to be converter issues years ago, but I think they're all worked out now. Problem is you're spending a couple hundred on the converter so unless you already own an AES, it doesn't make sense. Buy something like the Omega and forget about AES entirely as most others have mentioned.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
There used to be converter issues years ago, but I think they're all worked out now. Problem is you're spending a couple hundred on the converter so unless you already own an AES, it doesn't make sense. Buy something like the Omega and forget about AES entirely as most others have mentioned.

This to these guys I did AES a over decade ago and it was the pricey system then, Don't even start a collection you won't be able to play the games you want, I have an MVS arcade Cab and that was much cheaper investment but I bought one I had to fix.

Can you point me to where I can get that exchange rate?
Also this, do you live in 1986?

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
£500 / $1000 is about where the Australian dollar is at right now.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
I take your points anyway regarding the cost of converters etc. I think what appealed to me about that idea was that I could still get some AES if I wanted to but then I read a review on the super mvs converter 2 that said it caused scaling problems. Just wondered if there were any that didn't have that kind of problem, though maybe they're more expensive.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Actually, now I looked into this I'm even more confused:

Omega = $500, plus $70 for 1 controller, plus $30 for 1 game = $670 total.
AES (including 1 controller and game) = $370 + $250 for converter = $620 total.

So, with the AES purchase, don't I get a machine that can play both MVS and AES and for less money? I realise I may well be missing something...

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
S-Video, and Component out w/ stereo sound
- Unibios 3.0

I guess the aes might have those?

I guess component doesn't matter much to scart folk. unibios is fun though