Anyone know if ebay seller kleric13 is okay?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
And then only open it if it seems like it's not a match?

Pretty much. After buying MVS carts for over 10 years I've only ever scored a bootleg once, from YJA, and it was my own impatient fault. Basically, if it doesn't seem right or something looks off, there is a good chance your instincts are correct. Just be diligent. You don't have to open every cart, but you want to be 100% sure when buying any of teh rarez.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
When you see someone selling multiple copies of the same game, like here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEO-GEO-MVS-KING-OF-FIGHTERS-2000-AUTHENTIC-SNK-/262206464965

What does that mean? Did they clean out an old arcade or something? Does this make it more likely they're legitimate copies or not?

It may mean that he/she had an arcade and is cleaning out. Very likely, since kof2000 is a common game, however be careful because games with fake labels (see the 3 carts with the same serial 002314) are sometimes boots. And kof2000 has its fair share of boots. For reference, the cart in the first pic, with the clear shell looks legit.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
It may mean that he/she had an arcade and is cleaning out. Very likely, since kof2000 is a common game, however be careful because games with fake labels (see the 3 carts with the same serial 002314) are sometimes boots. And kof2000 has its fair share of boots. For reference, the cart in the first pic, with the clear shell looks legit.

Thanks aha2940, that is really useful information.

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
I was in very much the same situation as you Rumble. I had decided cd was my way into the cheaper route of NeoGeo, then my local package deal fell through and I started looking at other options. I ended up ordering an Omega CMVS and picked up a couple of cheap carts.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
$1000?

Buy a consolized MVS system and a multicart. Use the leftover cash to buy whatever legit games you want after messing with the multicart. If you have a 161 in 1 and a 120 in 1 multicart you will be able to play 90% of the library on real hardware. By comparison, you could get a home cart system, Nam, Samurai Shodown 1 and 2, Magician Lord, and then the shitty common early games that nobody really plays but everyone has because they are cheap.

You totally just described my fledgling AES collection

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
What about my "mixed collection" idea I mentioned in the post straight above? Is it crazy?

A mixed collection only made sense if you got into the Neo scene pre-2012 before all hell started to break loose. Going 100% AES or mixed-model now is financial suicide. Stay with MVS.