President Obama signed executive order curbing gun sales

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I like guns, but think our current laws are laughable. Why aren't the people with common sense talking about these issues. I'm not saying we ban them but we should do something.

Let's face it...this current topic has a ton to do with the San Bernardino attack, let's examine that chain of events.

-Person legally buys firearms (via tight California laws). Nothing, besides a full on ban, would have prevented this. The person bought the firearms in complete conformity to California law...and again, their firearm laws are not easy going.

-Person illegally sells them to another person "under the table". This breaks very strict laws already in place.

-Illegal person then illegally modifies those firearms. Again, more strict, existing laws broken.

-Illegally owned, illegally modified firearms are then used to commit mass-murder. Nuff said on that one.

Sure, you can make the penalties tougher...but I strongly doubt that would have changed their minds.

There are already a ton of laws on the books...most US citizens are completely ignorant as to what is already in place and how state vs federal government works.

So many keep crying out for a federal "database" knowing zip of how states do and do not work with federal.

In the end, the only thing that should change should be the complete banning of person to person sales...but even that will not stop it. The events in California were already completely illegal...yet they still happened.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The "There oughta be a law" statists keep thinking that more legislation will solve issues.

More laws, more criminalizing your average citizen, more of a pain in the ass for normals who don't want to commit mass murder to live their lives without inviting the government in for tea, more control.

People think they can use the state to control other people, to exert such tight legislative power over the citizenry as to eliminate crime entirely, it will simply never happen. If that worked then prohibition would have worked, the drug war wouldn't be a total clusterfuck, the war on poverty should have solved poor people 50 years ago, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would have eliminated racism.

The end result is instead the opposite, more legislation, more loopholes, more clamoring to fix loopholes, more legislation, more loopholes, and all along pitting yourself against the people you try to control, a surefire way that they'll never be able to see it from your viewpoint when you have made them your 'enemies'.

Until the ninnies get together and actually try to repeal the 2nd amendment, this is a stupid issue, Obama has made himself look more weak and pathetic than at any other point in his presidency. If this his attempt at securing a legacy, then at least his history book chapter can be short. Some fairly pointless executive actions. What a way to lead.

I think it is about time we just let them go ahead and try a complete prohibition on firearms. We've already had (at least) 4 consecutive terms of incompetent executives, we might as well let the nanny state have a go at it. Most of us will live while either organized crime takes over for street dealers or the government gets so full blown authoritarian that it might actually scare some people.

Of course they won't, because they would never get support because despite all the fear mongering, people are safer than they have ever been. They just need someone to blame, whenever one person dies there has to be a reason, a cause, a solution. We can't have tragedies anymore they would argue, a tragedy is just a failure of control. We could have stopped it, if only we had done more.

If they want someone to blame, they can start with the entertainment media. Charged statistics and a lack of context has made news broadcasts all but useless for gathering actual information, but you sure will get some camera time for the grieving loved ones.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Of course they won't, because they would never get support because despite all the fear mongering, people are safer than they have ever been.

+1

I don't understand why people are so hungry to find something appallingly wrong when it isn't.

All the awful, awful shit that happens in the world has been all but eradicated in the western world.

The walls are built, the roof is secure, you've got plumbing, electric and gas on constant flow and the fridge is stocked. All we're arguing about here is where the pictures go on the walls and what colour the carpet is going to be.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The "There oughta be a law" statists keep thinking that more legislation will solve issues.

More laws, more criminalizing your average citizen, more of a pain in the ass for normals who don't want to commit mass murder to live their lives without inviting the government in for tea, more control.

People think they can use the state to control other people, to exert such tight legislative power over the citizenry as to eliminate crime entirely, it will simply never happen. If that worked then prohibition would have worked, the drug war wouldn't be a total clusterfuck, the war on poverty should have solved poor people 50 years ago, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would have eliminated racism.

The end result is instead the opposite, more legislation, more loopholes, more clamoring to fix loopholes, more legislation, more loopholes, and all along pitting yourself against the people you try to control, a surefire way that they'll never be able to see it from your viewpoint when you have made them your 'enemies'.

Until the ninnies get together and actually try to repeal the 2nd amendment, this is a stupid issue, Obama has made himself look more weak and pathetic than at any other point in his presidency. If this his attempt at securing a legacy, then at least his history book chapter can be short. Some fairly pointless executive actions. What a way to lead.

I think it is about time we just let them go ahead and try a complete prohibition on firearms. We've already had (at least) 4 consecutive terms of incompetent executives, we might as well let the nanny state have a go at it. Most of us will live while either organized crime takes over for street dealers or the government gets so full blown authoritarian that it might actually scare some people.

Of course they won't, because they would never get support because despite all the fear mongering, people are safer than they have ever been. They just need someone to blame, whenever one person dies there has to be a reason, a cause, a solution. We can't have tragedies anymore they would argue, a tragedy is just a failure of control. We could have stopped it, if only we had done more.

If they want someone to blame, they can start with the entertainment media. Charged statistics and a lack of context has made news broadcasts all but useless for gathering actual information, but you sure will get some camera time for the grieving loved ones.

Entire post 10/10. A+ poster.

The current mentality of America is to over legislate things. Legislate assisted suicide. Legislate marijuana. Legislate mental health. Legislate the Internet. But when does it end? The secret is that it never ends. We have a SaaS model for everything, and we do that because it leads to unlimited work/money flow. And everyone seems to want to create a legacy instead of just leaving the world as they found it. This is a recipe for disaster.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
A gun is a must to own in the USA. You just don't take that away overnight. Drugs are also important. Let people live the way they want to, Barack Osama.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This will be a civil thread full of well reasoned discussion and mutual respect for everyone.

LOL

Obama is a fucking warmonger, seriously.

I see people everyday at work in my emergency room, constantly looking for weapons, because they are scared Obama is going to make them illegal.

That money won't even make a dent in the mental health issues. I spent today, in our 100 bed emergency room, watching psych patients. We had 16 of them, 2 were restrained, and one somehow got out of having to be restrained, after punching 3 holes in the wall in his room. And just to clarify, that is just the most psych patient we had at one time, that doesn't count discharges, admits, and then the others that rolled in. We got 3 patients in a row around 10pm. We probably had well over 20, in a 24 hour period.

The issue with mental health patients, is that if they are truly crazy, there is either 1. nothing that can be done, or 2. No way to keep them consistent on taking their meds.

The issue with REAL crazy people, and most depressed people, is that when they take their meds, they feel better, so they think they don't needs meds, and quit taking them, thus ending up in the ER for the 30th time in the year before June. It's a vicious cycle.

If they truly want to help the people who are not bat shit crazy, and just depressed and ready to kill something, they need to work on educating children at an early age, about how to be happy with themselves, inside. They need to teach them the importance of exercise, and eating healthy, so they are happy with themselves. Instead of woodshop, they need to have classes about dealing with stress, and anger. And they need to have programs set up in school for children who are not into sports, and poor, and whose parents don't give a fuck about them, to mentor them, and be a father figure.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LOL

Obama is a fucking warmonger, seriously.

I see people everyday at work in my emergency room, constantly looking for weapons, because they are scared Obama is going to make them illegal.

That money won't even make a dent in the mental health issues. I spent today, in our 100 bed emergency room, watching psych patients. We had 16 of them, 2 were restrained, and one somehow got out of having to be restrained, after punching 3 holes in the wall in his room. And just to clarify, that is just the most psych patient we had at one time, that doesn't count discharges, admits, and then the others that rolled in. We got 3 patients in a row around 10pm. We probably had well over 20, in a 24 hour period.

The issue with mental health patients, is that if they are truly crazy, there is either 1. nothing that can be done, or 2. No way to keep them consistent on taking their meds.

The issue with REAL crazy people, and most depressed people, is that when they take their meds, they feel better, so they think they don't needs meds, and quit taking them, thus ending up in the ER for the 30th time in the year before June. It's a vicious cycle.

If they truly want to help the people who are not bat shit crazy, and just depressed and ready to kill something, they need to work on educating children at an early age, about how to be happy with themselves, inside. They need to teach them the importance of exercise, and eating healthy, so they are happy with themselves. Instead of woodshop, they need to have classes about dealing with stress, and anger. And they need to have programs set up in school for children who are not into sports, and poor, and whose parents don't give a fuck about them, to mentor them, and be a father figure.

People go to the emergency room looking for weapons?

What kind of "emergency room" do you work for?!?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
People go to the emergency room looking for weapons?

What kind of "emergency room" do you work for?!?

I work with a lot of security, and off duty police officers who work security as a second job. Also, a lot of male nurses come from the military. I was speaking of my fellow employees. Nurses collect guns like no other, seriously, they just blow money on semi automatic weapons on a monthly basis. At least in my experience

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I work with a lot of security, and off duty police officers who work security as a second job. Also, a lot of male nurses come from the military. I was speaking of my fellow employees. Nurses collect guns like no other, seriously, they just blow money on semi automatic weapons on a monthly basis. At least in my experience

What is a "semi automatic weapon"?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
What is a "semi automatic weapon"?

I'm no gun expert. As far as I know guns that don't fire full auto, but in bursts. I don't own a gun, so my terminology may be off. Basically whatever they think is going to be banned they buy it, I guess the they look more like rifles, like the type of stuff that use to be military guns. The other day they were talking about the different versions of AK-47 they had. I think they were talking about Chinese and Russian variations. Again I'm no expert. I just know they buy large guns

lithy

20 Year Member
I'm no gun expert. As far as I know guns that don't fire full auto, but in bursts. I don't own a gun, so my terminology may be off. Basically whatever they think is going to be banned they buy it, I guess the they look more like rifles, like the type of stuff that use to be military guns. The other day they were talking about the different versions of AK-47 they had. I think they were talking about Chinese and Russian variations. Again I'm no expert. I just know they buy large guns

A semi-automatic firearm is anything that with a pull of the trigger will fire a round, eject a cartridge/shell casing and move the next round into position to fire on the next trigger pull.

A burst fire like you mention would be available only if the weapon was fully automatic likely with select-fire as far as I know.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
haha, those open carry fuckers were marching through Dallas the other day. This place is wacky, I mean why bother. Concealed is the only real way to go.

Why does that not surprise me? Glad i'm out of my state. I love Texas but I can't stand stupid ass Texans.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Meanwhile, the USA refuses to condemn Saudi Arabia for executing a shia cleric for protesting the third-class status of non-Sunni residents of the country.

Why doesn't the US just say to all the nutjobs with guns "We'll fly you out to Saudi Arabia and you can kill all the Wahabbists you want."? Solves all our problems.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I work with a lot of security, and off duty police officers who work security as a second job.

Why would a police officer require a second job? How shitty a wage are these people being paid?

No wonder everyone is miserable.

If I had to work two jobs I'd want a fucking gun too.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why would a police officer require a second job? How shitty a wage are these people being paid?

Some small towns have a police force of part timers. Usually, it is a town so small that it shouldn't have a police force in the first place.

lithy

20 Year Member

Many are just glorified meter maids. What sort of wage should they get?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Some small towns have a police force of part timers. Usually, it is a town so small that it shouldn't have a police force in the first place.

A lot of our security are off duty, or retired police force. Not sure why the active ones work an extra job. A lot are also young guys who are either finished with school, and waiting to get hired on, or ex military.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'm all for the 2nd amendment. But conceal carry is not the answer. All it takes is one person making the wrong decision to pull their weapon upon misinterpreting a situation at WalMart which the would lead to another person pulling their weapon and we got a gun fight at the Walmart corral. I don't want to die while grabbing odd and ends.

What needs to happen is a tough stance on the mentally ill and bringing back mental institutions and being able to lock those up who are unfit to take care of themselves. It's a cruel solution. There was a reason why we could leave our homes unlocked in the 50-60's and it wasn't because of wholesome TV programming.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm all for the 2nd amendment. But conceal carry is not the answer. All it takes is one person making the wrong decision to pull their weapon upon misinterpreting a situation at WalMart which the would lead to another person pulling their weapon and we got a gun fight at the Walmart corral. I don't want to die while grabbing odd and ends.

What needs to happen is a tough stance on the mentally ill and bringing back mental institutions and being able to lock those up who are unfit to take care of themselves. It's a cruel solution. There was a reason why we could leave our homes unlocked in the 50-60's and it wasn't because of wholesome TV programming.

No, concealed carry isn't an "answer" to a problem…but it isn't a problem either. The facts aren't in you favor on that one. The number of issues from concealed carriers is extremely low.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'm not even against conceal carry. I just think it muddies the water. I know the numbers aren't there to say its a problem. It's more of my thoughts when I hear people discuss gun laws at work, etc. They act like they are going to be their own savior if shit was to go down. Most of them aren't regular shooters and I fear them drawing their weapon and firing. If anything I'd propose that you should have to wear your weapon outside any clothing as to make it known you are carrying wild west style.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
go try to get your own concealed carry permit before you accuse 'them' of being whackadoo yahoos...if someone with ones getting their gun out you were already up the creek with 'em bro.

there was some kook who recently shot at the car of a fleeing shoplifter though. you probably have a much higher chance of getting stabbed or mugged whatever than ending up in this crossfire you imagine, so just stay home?

:mr_t: might be a little chest puffing talk too?

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
There was a reason why we could leave our homes unlocked in the 50-60's and it wasn't because of wholesome TV programming.

This statement is not based in fact.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This statement is not based in fact.

I was going to say, in the 50's they were too busy being terrified of Communist accusations or roasting in the atomic fire of WWIII...

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
A more responsible system in place for the sale of guns seems quite prudent, especially one that doesn't infringe on your ridiculous 'right to bear arms' hysteria too.

But what do I now, eh?