Oculus Rift Backers

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
pre orders start tomorrow for nonbackers. I still have my original Oculus Case.
Keep in mind minimum specs are I5 4590 | GTX 970 or AMD 290. That is minimum. It is GPU heavy, and surprisingly AMD actually has an edge for VR.

This is not the same as the GearVR or google cardboard.

Gonna be goooooood. Oculus DK2 was such an amazing experience.

I have a computer I made almost 4 years ago. I like to 3d game on it.
Specs are roughly 3ghz dual core 8gb ram and 1gb graphics card.
I'm thinking about finding a dk2 for it.
I don't really want to upgrade/make another pc and will probably get a Ps Vr when it comes out for my next gen gaming.
I like playing that Ps3 360 gen on it. The pc is hacked because I use the Ps 3d display and it's not a "approved" Nvidia display.
PITA to keep it from not upgrading the Nvidia drivers and then rolling it back when it does.
Is the DK2 the model I'm looking for and will it be ok for 3d gaming? Not so much a VR experience?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
quad core cpu and amd 290x or gtx 970 are the min specs for the new consumer oculus

the new display lenses are higher resolution than the older dev kit models

I will try to get it running with sli 780 ti kpe's though

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I know quite well what I'm talking about. Been a VR user for many years, and I've made some demo's in Unity.
The lighthouses are far from perfect. Open windows, lights, mirrors and other IR sources really throw them off. Also, full room experiences are the 1% of gameplay experiences I referenced. You still have a giant cord tethered to your computer, and I haven never played a game where i thought standing up would make it better. Many people are overhyped about the full room lighthouse, but in reality it doesn't add much to the end user. That, and the lighthouses need an optimized room.

The passthrough camera is nice, but it's delayed and can make you feel quite sick. Gear VR has the same thing. I only used it to see the keyboard, and looking down my nose worked much better.

SteamVR is a mess. Oculus SDK is years ahead in sound plus Unity/ Unreal integration. Not to mention 3rd party integration like VorpX. You can also use Oculus with SteamVR.

Lastly, HTC could collapse and leave Valve looking for a new partner. http://arstechnica.com/business/201...-companies-and-tech-whose-time-may-have-come/

This is all still early days of VR. Even this commercial version of the Rift is going need some tinkering to get it to work right. The final specs for the CV Rift are out there, so it's in HTC's hands to try and one-up them. The most important aspect of this would be resolution, and Oculus has a strong partner with Samsung. $600 is $100 more than I was expecting, but it's not unreasonable. The clowns crying about the price as the same people that don't have a VR ready computer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_VR#Acquisition

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have a computer I made almost 4 years ago. I like to 3d game on it.
Specs are roughly 3ghz dual core 8gb ram and 1gb graphics card.
I'm thinking about finding a dk2 for it.
I don't really want to upgrade/make another pc and will probably get a Ps Vr when it comes out for my next gen gaming.
I like playing that Ps3 360 gen on it. The pc is hacked because I use the Ps 3d display and it's not a "approved" Nvidia display.
PITA to keep it from not upgrading the Nvidia drivers and then rolling it back when it does.
Is the DK2 the model I'm looking for and will it be ok for 3d gaming? Not so much a VR experience?

DK2 is not really going to be that great for a modern VR experience. It's already a few years old, and support will likely wain as the consumer version replaces it. The resolution per eye makes it a strain to see game text at 1080p. A My I7 4770k with GTX 760 needed everything turned down to low for something like Alien Isolation on DK2. I'm not sure what you have as a 1GB card, but I'm going to bet it's pretty old.

Keep in mind the Playstation VR is going to be pretty primitive games and textures because you really need 75fps per eye or you get jutter(screen lag). PS4 barely does 60FPS on a single 1080 display.
I think PS-VR will have some good games, but it's not going to offer you an opportunity to jump into any PS4 game in 3D.

Oculus Rift CV1 has 75hz and 90hz modes depending on your computer. They have also partnered with Microsoft to offer Xbone streaming to Oculus with Windows 10. Probably not a launch feature, but that is one reason there is an included Xbone controller. People seem to forget that partnership when they question why an Xbone controller is included. Most DK2 games and demo's were built around Xbone control as well. Blaze Rush g'damn amazing on DK2 and a controller.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The Microsoft partnership sounds interesting, but we'll see how much really comes from it.

Other than myself having to spend more money on the Rift because it comes with an Xbone controller and wireless adapter... Both of which I already have multiples of.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Has anybody demo'd the CV1? How does it hold up against the dk2?

Resolution is a little low and motion sickness is an issue. Not sure if that's because of the refresh rate or the positional tracker or what, but it's manageable if you lower the field of view.

Pretty impressive though it would really benefit from ultra high resolution displays, down the line

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Has anybody demo'd the CV1? How does it hold up against the dk2?

Resolution is a little low and motion sickness is an issue. Not sure if that's because of the refresh rate or the positional tracker or what, but it's manageable if you lower the field of view.

Pretty impressive though it would really benefit from ultra high resolution displays, down the line

CV1 and crescent bay were a major improvements to the screen resolution. it's only about 25% increase in pixel density, but it's better density and screen fill.
It was a bit of a struggle to see chat text with DK2, but i was able to read small text while testing CB1.

better headtracking, lighter weight, screen can run at 90hz which can reduce VR sickness.

In reality, most people will get a lil dizzy while first experiencing VR in any headset. Poor computer performance also doesn't help.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I'm not sure what you have as a 1GB card, but I'm going to bet it's pretty old.
Looked right now it's a GeForce gt 430.
Yeah I understand it's 4 years old and the the dk2 is old as well.
I'll probably play it in 720 3d mostly.
They are both about the same age and I thought they'd go together pretty well.
I'm going to upgrade the drive to a ssd right now.
Wish me luck the last few batches I installed on my computer didn't come with any cloning software and I had to do fresh installs, hopefully this goes smoother.
Going to keep this one of windows 7.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I've already played a fair amount of these in DK2 and they are amazing. I'm getting pretty hyped for the release that is now less than 2 weeks away.
Upgraded to 980ti, so i'll be posting my 760 for sale soon.

A fair amount of these will not be possible with PSVR, and some will likely end up on both.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Canceled my rift preorder and kept my vive active. Unfortunately ran into some personal issues and couldn't get both. Cannot wait, after gdc I'm super hyped.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
shipping confirmed. I'm hoping to be posting my opinions this week.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
ohh im jealous, if these are available to buy after I see some impressions I might cave in the near future.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Speaking of Oculus, a friend of mine bought himself a new Samsung phone and got one of those virtual reality headsets with it. He brought it with him last Friday and we fooled around with it for an hour or so. There's "Oculus" written on the side so it should be the same manufacturer, right?

Anyway, it's kinda... well, not too bad anyway! Picture could be a bit sharper, though. I was expecting some gimmicky crap and well, it is to some extend but there also are some interesting features, like "walking around" in Google Earth or watching some National Geographics stuff. We also played some games like a fishing game and a space shooter where you have to focus on enemy ships to shoot them.

It's a bit weird at first I must say. I instinctively tried to use my hands to manipulate things, would be cool if that would be an option as well with some sort of gloves.

What can I say, I prolly won't buy such a device but it's better than I thought.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Speaking of Oculus, a friend of mine bought himself a new Samsung phone and got one of those virtual reality headsets with it. He brought it with him last Friday and we fooled around with it for an hour or so. There's "Oculus" written on the side so it should be the same manufacturer, right?

Anyway, it's kinda... well, not too bad anyway! Picture could be a bit sharper, though. I was expecting some gimmicky crap and well, it is to some extend but there also are some interesting features, like "walking around" in Google Earth or watching some National Geographics stuff. We also played some games like a fishing game and a space shooter where you have to focus on enemy ships to shoot them.

It's a bit weird at first I must say. I instinctively tried to use my hands to manipulate things, would be cool if that would be an option as well with some sort of gloves.

What can I say, I prolly won't buy such a device but it's better than I thought.

yeah, there's a fair bit of confusion from consumers on what is Oculus vs Oculus Gear VR.

Gear VR is just a headset for phones.
Oculus is the high resolution VR headset that requires VR ready PC.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
yeah, there's a fair bit of confusion from consumers on what is Oculus vs Oculus Gear VR.

Gear VR is just a headset for phones.
Oculus is the high resolution VR headset that requires VR ready PC.

Ah, okay, so the phone headset is the casual stuff and the high-def VR headset the pro variant?

I can see how this thing could be awesome with higher resolution. I liked what I've seen with the phone version but found it a bit too blurry for my taste.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
proton pulse on my google cardboard was pretty comparable to the awesome DK2 demo, but depth is pretty irrelevant in that game, yeah VR with the full head tracking is quite a bit more effective, I can only imagine how much better the CV1 is.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
the motion sickness is still an issue, it seems

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
the motion sickness is still an issue, it seems

This varies per person, and will never go away with any technology. It's not so much tech related as it is brain related. Your body doesnt like it when it thinks it's moving, but your motor controls say otherwise.

Framerate can also cause this if you have poor PC specs. Low framerate causes choppy vision which leads to more things your brain doesn't like.

It's best to ease into VR to see how your body responds. I could only do 5-15min chunks when I was first testing Oculus DK2. After a week, I could spend all day in Elite Dangerous with the headset. No eye or neck strain.

Some people have no VR sickness, and my brother in law couldnt go more than a minute. I only got close to actually getting sick once. I was flying a speeder bike over Tatooine, and it flipped upside down. I kept flying despite a holographic Yoda telling me it could make me sick. I was probably 10-30seconds away from losing it, but I took it off before that. I should have listened to Yoda.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I couldnt play elite on the DK2 for more than 30 seconds without getting vertigo & completely disoriented

could be I'm prone to that sort of thing, but I think the screen resolution & frame rate of the display didn't help.

(6700k z170 64gb ram dual EVGA 980 ti classified SLI [cpu/gpu oc'd])

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I'd like to demo the Vive with the controllers when it comes out

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Occulus is getting put through the ringer this week. Lower fov, lower brightness, constant connection to Facebook servers even when not in use from the runtime. Hoping they get this shit worked out.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
wow

canceled a week ago, something didn't smell right

Probably a good call unfortunately. All those predictions from when Facebook got involved years ago seem to be coming true now which is a real bummer. I still appreciate what Palmer has done but man has the vision changed.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
at the very least they've pushed the race for the killer commercial hmd

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Hoping to get my Oculus some time this month. I went ahead and ordered the Vive as well since I am more interested in room-scale and it fits better into my eco-system.

I considered cancelling my Oculus, but I know I can still get money back on eBay if I end up choosing the Vive experience.

I really want to experience survival horror. Gimme some Resident Evil action! I wanna kill Zombies...