Oculus Rift Backers

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
SudoShinji,

I just got an email from HTC letting me know to make sure my credit card is in order before they charge it. How long after this email did they ship your Vive?

Much appreciated,

stell

Was it the email that said "we are preparing your order"? If so I got that around 5 days before shipping notification but shipping has really ramoed up since then so that may not apply to you.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Was it the email that said "we are preparing your order"? If so I got that around 5 days before shipping notification but shipping has really ramoed up since then so that may not apply to you.

Well update...my card was just charged. Things are finally moving along... :)

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Well update...my card was just charged. Things are finally moving along... :)

Is it the hold or charge? Mine had a hold that disappeared after a few days, sign up for FedEx delivery manager and they will update you as soon as they get a shipping notification. A lot of people got their vives sent to them before they even got a notification from HTC/digital river and weren't home to sign for it.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Is it the hold or charge? Mine had a hold that disappeared after a few days, sign up for FedEx delivery manager and they will update you as soon as they get a shipping notification. A lot of people got their vives sent to them before they even got a notification from HTC/digital river and weren't home to sign for it.

Charge shows as pending, however all my charges show as pending. Anyway, the Vive is being shipped to my business...so it shouldn't be a problem for it to be signed.

/heavy breathing...excitement..dazzle...suspense

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Charge shows as pending, however all my charges show as pending. Anyway, the Vive is being shipped to my business...so it shouldn't be a problem for it to be signed.

/heavy breathing...excitement..dazzle...suspense

I'm excited for you man, you're gonna love it.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Shipping confirmation for Tuesday!

I found some interesting mods for the Vive...

One being a sleep mask mod (essentially allows the lenses to be closer, thus providing larger FOV/sweetspot) http://imgur.com/a/4u1Ia

^ I did buy a couple of these masks just to see how much "better" it'll be.

Also, I'm hoping a retail solution comes out for a modified "hard" head strap. I like the idea with the Oculus having the hard sides and rear to better help distribute the weight of the headset. From my understanding the Vive is comfortable, but not like the Oculus.

I've seen some mods, but they look a bit too jank for me to attempt atm.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/ynDqj

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
my Camera tripod that i inherited from my dad is the perfect Cable boom.
It can extend up to 7 feet high, and it holds the cable off the floor very well.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Shipping confirmation for Tuesday!

I found some interesting mods for the Vive...

One being a sleep mask mod (essentially allows the lenses to be closer, thus providing larger FOV/sweetspot) http://imgur.com/a/4u1Ia

^ I did buy a couple of these masks just to see how much "better" it'll be.

Also, I'm hoping a retail solution comes out for a modified "hard" head strap. I like the idea with the Oculus having the hard sides and rear to better help distribute the weight of the headset. From my understanding the Vive is comfortable, but not like the Oculus.

I've seen some mods, but they look a bit too jank for me to attempt atm.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/ynDqj

My gasket mod is on the front page of r/vive right now . Works really well but there are plenty of options.

If you wear your vive right you won't notice a difference between it and rift. I can use either for extended periods of time with no fatigue at all. Just make sure you put the straps to the bottom of your skull so weight is distributed correctly. A mod is not needed.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
not good for eyes. they do have to work more with these headsets.
there's a lot of stuff that makes your eyes converge and focus. Your brain will likely handle it, but your eyes themselves will get tired.

You'd want to do something that has you focusing on medium spaced objects that are in the center of the screen. HUDS at the bottom of the screen really make your eyes cross(converge) inside the headset.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Finally got to play skyrim in vorpx today now that vive is supported. Holy hell does this thing take a lot of tweaking and fiddling to get working right. This was the app I was looking forward to most and now it feels kind of meh, anyone else have experience with if?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Finally got to play skyrim in vorpx today now that vive is supported. Holy hell does this thing take a lot of tweaking and fiddling to get working right. This was the app I was looking forward to most and now it feels kind of meh, anyone else have experience with if?

yeah, it's one of the better tools out there. It's still worth purchasing, but you quickly find out that there's more to VR optimization.

There are skyrim mods to move things to a more centralized HUD. Bigger text etc. Every game will need some tweaking, but it's mostly interface stuff once you get used to it.
I walked around in Guild Wars 2. MMO cities take on a whole new perspective.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
yeah, it's one of the better tools out there. It's still worth purchasing, but you quickly find out that there's more to VR optimization.

There are skyrim mods to move things to a more centralized HUD. Bigger text etc. Every game will need some tweaking, but it's mostly interface stuff once you get used to it.
I walked around in Guild Wars 2. MMO cities take on a whole new perspective.

Yeh I've realized real fast that it takes quitea lit of fiddling to get working. I'm still trying to figure things out, any suggestions on games that worked well for you?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
not good for eyes. they do have to work more with these headsets.
there's a lot of stuff that makes your eyes converge and focus. Your brain will likely handle it, but your eyes themselves will get tired.

You'd want to do something that has you focusing on medium spaced objects that are in the center of the screen. HUDS at the bottom of the screen really make your eyes cross(converge) inside the headset.

They should install a camera inside a headset to monitor eye movement. I bet everyone looks like a bunch of dipshits this way (even more than from the outside).

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yeh I've realized real fast that it takes quitea lit of fiddling to get working. I'm still trying to figure things out, any suggestions on games that worked well for you?

i mainly used it for walking MMO cities and Skyrim. That was quite a while ago though. There was good guides for each game to make them tolerable.

Some of these games can induce VR sickness as well. Headless games like Skyrim work well, but you sometimes have to Mod the hands or guns. Guns can take up a lot of screen in VR.
I'd probably browse vorpx subreddit and forums to get mod packs and settings. People have usually done all the work by now. It's been around a long time with Oculus DK1 and DK2.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Has anyone made a Lawnmower man or ExistenZ game yet?

I've been all excited & anxiously awaited VR ever since I saw the original Lawnmower Man in the theater.
They certainly took their damn time.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've been all excited & anxiously awaited VR ever since I saw the original Lawnmower Man in the theater.
They certainly took their damn time.

I'd buy a rift if it offered a first person version of the Dire Straights video "Money for Nothing"

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Vive Initial Impression - I thought I understood what the experience would be like. I wasn't even close. It's so much more intense than you imagine. I'm almost at a loss of words to describe the experience. It truly is mind-blowing. Watching videos online just doesn't do room-scale VR any justice.

When I was in Job Simulator...it was like I was there. Scary stuff...but amazing.

I am still feeling at odds with true reality after the experience. Much like the "tetris effect", you will see a grid-wall when you close your eyes.

It will fuck with you.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Vive Initial Impression - I thought I understood what the experience would be like. I wasn't even close. It's so much more intense than you imagine. I'm almost at a loss of words to describe the experience. It truly is mind-blowing. Watching videos online just doesn't do room-scale VR any justice.

When I was in Job Simulator...it was like I was there. Scary stuff...but amazing.

I am still feeling at odds with true reality after the experience. Much like the "tetris effect", you will see a grid-wall when you close your eyes.

It will fuck with you.

Yeh I was seeing my work monitor as 3d for the first week and it was really bizarre but it wears off. PLAY BUDGET CUTS!

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Yeh I was seeing my work monitor as 3d for the first week and it was really bizarre but it wears off. PLAY BUDGET CUTS!

Dude, I played it the other night. There is a real sense of presence in that game. It tripped me out pretty bad. I'm really looking forward to playing Raw Data.