Steel Empire 3DS is on sale for $15.99, normally $30

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Is it significantly different than the Genesis game?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The biggest point of criticism that the MD version earned was for it's massive slowdowns. This is fixed in the 3DS version, though it would have been nice to have a sprite limitation option on board to simulate that effect, if only for the nostalgia. Furthermore, you have the opportunity to record your superplay. Of course, now you have a wider screen, too. All in all, nothing you could call significant. As for the rest...

original.jpg

The Graphics are are nicely upgraded, with only the backgrounds looking a bit washed out and poor in contrast in comparison to the Genny and you still have that choppy-like scrolling of the original. Tho the music doesn't sound as good, as through the original Yamaha YM2612, it certainly remains its strength due to accurate adopted compositions. The cutscenes were changed a bit, but not necessarily for the worse and the silent movie feel stays intact. Top scores here overall.

large.jpg

Considering all the occasions, on which they could have ruin this port (just look at this thrash for comparison's sake), it became excellent, even a small masterpiece.

Here's some good footage:

Spoiler:

Edit: I forgot to mention, that the difficulty level has been toned down significantly. The default settings of the Mega Drive original are now found on the "Hard" difficulty on the 3DS version. Other than that, thanks God it isn't different than the Genesis game ;).

Last edited:

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I like the game a lot. I never played the original Genesis title. I bought it so I could get some SHMUP love when away from home. I really enjoyed the 3D in the game. Too cool. I just got the game a couple days ago because it was on sale (along with Ducktales Remastered and Shovel Knight for the Wii U). I played it for the first time tonight on easy to have some casual play and to get a feel for the game. I was able to beat it with 4 deaths and 3 lives remaining with no continues. It was easy, but I definitely can see myself needing to 1CC it on all difficulty levels. At $15.99, it is totally worth the buy.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up, this one caught my attention when it was released.

Any other suggestions for shmups on the 3DS?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Kokuga & Recca, and if you dig the rail ones, Space Harrier & Galaxy Force II of course.