Does the 360 have good non-bullet-hell shooters (Retail)?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Everywhere I've looked in terms of 360 shooters is all about the Cave style Bullet-Hell shooters.

I got a few of those (Might even get Bug Princess), but for the sake of variety wanted to know if I missed any Gradius style non-bullet hell shooters, so far I can only think of:

Otomedius (supposedly craptastic clone of Gradius with moe girls)
Project Sylpheed

Is there anything I missed?

Thanks.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Everywhere I've looked in terms of 360 shooters is all about the Cave style Bullet-Hell shooters.

I got a few of those (Might even get Bug Princess), but for the sake of variety wanted to know if I missed any Gradius style non-bullet hell shooters, so far I can only think of:

Project Sylpheed

Thanks.

Project Sylpheed isn't a shmup. R Type Dimensions and Omega Five are both horizontal shmups that are not bullethell style, but neither are for sale on disc.

Last edited:

Kiken

Camel Slug

Project Sylpheed

Thanks.

Raiden IV
Raiden Fighters Aces
Caladrius
Geesen Love Plus Pengo
Shooting Love 200X
Shooting Love 10 Annivesary: XIIZeal & DeltaZeal
Eschatos
Ginga Force
Under Defeat HD
Otomedius Excellent
Otomedius Gorgeous

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
For sidescollers there's also Strike Witches but honestly it isn't for everyone. Watch some vids first and decide if it suits your style.

If you just want something not bullet hell, Raiden Fighters Aces is a whole package of awesome. It's easily good enough to stand on equal footing with the best CAVE releases, both in content and quality.

Redguard

New Challenger
For sidescollers there's also Strike Witches but honestly it isn't for everyone. Watch some vids first and decide if it suits your style.

If you just want something not bullet hell, Raiden Fighters Aces is a whole package of awesome. It's easily good enough to stand on equal footing with the best CAVE releases, both in content and quality.

I agree 100%.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
What about "Mamoru-kun"? I'd say ir aualifies, and it's quite awesome if a little different.
Oh, and both "Senko no Ronde" titles maybe.

FWIW, "Otomedius" is anything but craptastic in my opinion. I like it a lot.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighters Aces
Caladrius
Geesen Love Plus Pengo
Shooting Love 200X
Shooting Love 10 Annivesary: XIIZeal & DeltaZeal
Eschatos
Ginga Force
Under Defeat HD
Otomedius Excellent
Otomedius Gorgeous

Besides the Raidens and Otomedius, Are the rest of these region free?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Out of that list

Region free: Shooting Love 10th Anniversary, Eschatos, Ginga Force.

Not region free, but released outside Japan: Raiden IV, Raiden Fighters Aces (not in Europe though), Otomedius Excellent.

Not region free, and not released outside Japan on 360: Caladrius, Pengo, Shooting Love 200X, Under Defeat HD, Otomedius G. Note that you can get Caladrius and Under Defeat HD on PS3 to get around the region lock, and they have free extras that were DLC on 360.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Out of that list

Not region free, but released outside Japan: Raiden IV, Raiden Fighters Aces (not in Europe though), Otomedius Excellent.

Not region free, and not released outside Japan on 360: Caladrius, Pengo, Shooting Love 200X, Under Defeat HD, Otomedius G. Note that you can get Caladrius and Under Defeat HD on PS3 to get around the region lock, and they have free extras that were DLC on 360.

Thanks for the info that was exactly what I was looking for.

Been looking for new shooters but I recently realized I may not be a cave person after picking up Dodonpachi Resurrection. Looked fun, but a bit much to me and my gf. (I dunno, Maybe single player cuts down the epilepsy and wtf am I shooting at factor? )

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Out of that list

200x is out in the US in digital form only.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Out of that list

Caladrius is also digital only, US release.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
There is also Deathsmiles but I think it qualify as bullet hell.

By CAVE standards, Deathsmiles is probably the most accessible of their shooters in terms of difficulty. The game only gets hard when you intentionally turn suicide bullets on. If you don't do that, then only the final boss is really bullet hell crazy. I'd definitely say give Deathsmiles a shot. If you're lucky, you should still be able to find it dirt cheap.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member

Otomedius Gorgeous is very good when playing Original Mode.
Otomedius Excellent is indeed craptastic though.

Sadly, the former never got released outside of Japan.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Out of that list

Under Defeat HD was released as digital-only (game on demand) on the NA XBL market place (it got a physical disc release in PAL territories).

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Sorry about that everyone. I haven't been paying attention to the digital download releases. :loco:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Thanks. So I ended up ordering Otomedius Excellent since... it was $6, and I do really like Gradius-style games. I also got the Ginga Force / Eschatos double-pack. (I'll post pics in the recent purchases soon).