Berserk Lost Children Arc Anime Coming

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
IN CASE YA DIDN'T KNOW:

The second season of the anime started last week.

They aired two episodes two Fridays ago and a third one this last week.

Essentially...

New OP and ED

Same series.

If you didn't ike the 2016 anime, this won't change your mind. Even the same OST.

Honestly, this feels like it was originally supposed to be part of a full season last year but they pulled back and had a 'half coeur' because of the divisive fan reaction last year and now they're running out the produced content.

The new OP isn't as good as last season's, which itself wasn't all that great. The ED is much better than last seasons. Both songs are performed by the same groups that did last year's.

So far, I am enjoying the new season because I liked the last season.

That is all for now.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
IN CASE YA DIDN'T KNOW:

Essentially...

New OP and ED

Same series.

If you didn't ike the 2016 anime, this won't change your mind. Even the same OST.

Honestly, this feels like it was originally supposed to be part of a full season last year but they pulled back and had a 'half coeur' because of the divisive fan reaction last year and now they're running out the produced content.

The new OP isn't as good as last season's, which itself wasn't all that great. The ED is much better than last seasons. Both songs are performed by the same groups that did last year's.

That is all for now.

I dug out the thread to spread the good word a couple weeks ago when I didn't see you, but it's good to see you back Taiso!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
IN CASE YA DIDN'T KNOW:

Essentially...

New OP and ED

Same series.

That is all for now.

This season has been fantastic so far. Makes me glad I'm not dead yet.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I've been digging it too.

I kind of hope it just keeps going and going after this.

If nothing else, the salt from all the Berserk fans that think they understand what this animated series 'should' be will continue to entertain and amuse.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I dug out the thread to spread the good word a couple weeks ago when I didn't see you, but it's good to see you back Taiso!

I'm not dead yet, mang.

I'm hard at work on creating my own online presence. Learning how to use Sony Vegas Pro, writing scripts for my own online content, working with a video capture card, etc.

I'm doing infrastructure for my own brand, more or less.

Even teaching myself Japanese because I want to get into my own scanlation projects. Not Berserk, which has some really good scanlators out there, but Gundam stuff, which is my other anime passion.

Also been building a lot of Gunpla. I mean...a LOT of Gunpla lol

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I just finished the Berserk game on PS4 recently and will definitely be watching the 2017 season of the anime starting this weekend. Luckily it looks like I will have 3 episodes in the hole when I do start watching :)

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm back on Crunchyroll for season 2. I'm 3 episodes in and really enjoying it so far. I know it's odd, but I have been a Berserk fan for about 17 years, yet I have never got this far in the story. I have seen the original series multiple times, and got to the end of the band of the hawk arc in the manga, but then I had trouble finding a few volumes and forgot about it. It's great to see a bit further, and it's made me go back to the Manga, so I'll make sure I get it all this time. It seems all the volumes have had a reprint since I last looked.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I'm back on Crunchyroll for season 2. I'm 3 episodes in and really enjoying it so far. I know it's odd, but I have been a Berserk fan for about 17 years, yet I have never got this far in the story. I have seen the original series multiple times, and got to the end of the band of the hawk arc in the manga, but then I had trouble finding a few volumes and forgot about it. It's great to see a bit further, and it's made me go back to the Manga, so I'll make sure I get it all this time. It seems all the volumes have had a reprint since I last looked.

If you have a smart phone I use an app called Manga Browser. Works great and has alooooooooooot of mangas in it. They also update it regularly with new issues.

It is a lot easier then searching the web and getting frustrated.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
If you have a smart phone I use an app called Manga Browser. Works great and has alooooooooooot of mangas in it. They also update it regularly with new issues.

It is a lot easier then searching the web and getting frustrated.

Thanks, I will have a look if I get stuck. I'm still a bit old fashioned when it comes to Manga. I'm happy to use my Kindle for books, but I like to have the pages in front of me when it comes to graphic novels. I have up to volume 12, so I will flick through them to remind myself where I am and then pick up a few more volumes. After all this time I really should get caught up with the whole story (so far).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Yeah you gotta read the manga.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
These reprints are setting off my OCD...

20170508_175050.jpg

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Physical books? Wow. The scanslations are free.

For some reason I just don't like reading Manga on a screen. Like I said above, all my books are now digital on my kindle, but for Manga I always like the physical pages in front of me.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
The Battle Angel Alita manga has the same issue. But the difference in size between the first and second printings is nuts, they shrunk the reprint by like 30%

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This season has drawn the ire of a lot of people on reddit. Lots of complaints about the animation quality, pacing, and cut storylines. I was enjoying it a lot until i read the berserk subreddit.

As much as i would love to see a return to the handdrawn 97 anime style, i dont think anyone is willing to foot the costs that would incur. I am happy with the efforts so far. If people want it to be better, maybe we should think about funding it.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
This season has drawn the ire of a lot of people on reddit. Lots of complaints about the animation quality, pacing, and cut storylines. I was enjoying it a lot until i read the berserk subreddit.

As much as i would love to see a return to the handdrawn 97 anime style, i dont think anyone is willing to foot the costs that would incur. I am happy with the efforts so far. If people want it to be better, maybe we should think about funding it.

Most of the cut storylines involve violence against children, I'm not saying they shouldn't have adapted those parts, but I understand why they didn't when they're still having to censor certain gore scenes

even the original 97 series cut out most of Gut's childhood including him being raped, and as far as animation quality goes, it's not like the 97 series was super well animated or anything, the whole thing basically oozes cost cutting measures and stilted animation

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Most of the cut storylines involve violence against children, I'm not saying they shouldn't have adapted those parts, but I understand why they didn't when they're still having to censor certain gore scenes

even the original 97 series cut out most of Gut's childhood including him being raped, and as far as animation quality goes, it's not like the 97 series was super well animated or anything, the whole thing basically oozes cost cutting measures and stilted animation

The last episode omitted moonlight boy, so there's talk that moonlight is this series victim, just as skull knight and puck were before.

I don't think the Rosine chapter was necessary to cut, but completely understand why it was. It encompassed a lot of child abuse.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
People who bitch about the animation don't understand anything about the animation industry, cost, and markets. In the case of Berserk, it's the difference of the show we are getting vs. no show at all. As is most often the case, the vocal minority make a lot of noise in their small corners of the internet thinking that their views and likes represent the majority of anime fandom, when in fact, a show like Berserk is incredibly niche, incredibly violent (with a time slot and warning that reflect the themes within), and is lucky to be on air at all, especially in an age and market where lolicon and slice-of-life anime are what's in demand whose brands are easily built (figures, dolls, pillow covers, OSTs, etc.).

Some might argue that they'd rather have no show at all if the effort we're being given means as many cuts as there have been, while others will enjoy it for what it is and the fact that at least there is Berserk on screen. Purists will always have the manga and shouldn't complain, and the rest of us enjoy both for what they are.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
As long as the series' animation remains consistent, I can handle what they're giving us. It's not ideal, but in my opinion it's better than the haters are grousing about.

That said, their complaints aren't entirely invalid in some respects.

Episode 21's animation was subpar and noticeably so. There are a couple of points where it felt almost like flash animation. Take a good look at episode 21 again and you'll see that it's pretty substandard.

21.5 was a terrible digest episode. The director of that episode had absolutely no awareness of the sound design. He just cut the episode from previous existing footage, sound bed and all. I heard the first 30 seconds of 'Hai Yo' 87259048725 times during that 22 minutes. That song is my ring tone so that should indicate how much I love it. However, even *I* was laughing at how often i heard it by the end of that episode. I know digest episodes are 'breathers' for the animators, but the lack of effort was palpable.

I also felt that the pacing for the Berserker armor's introduction was too understated. Guts getting that armor is one of the pivotal events of the entire series and it had weight in the manga. It felt like Chuthulu waking up or something. In the anime, it just felt like another event they covered to get through it. I felt they should have slowed it down and given it the epic debut it deserved.

The Kushan alligators are hideous. Their textures are just godawful and look like they didn't go through QC. I mean, they're bad.

Guts' hand cannon appearing out of the palm of his hand while wearing the Berserker armor was weird and looked unpolished. Its momentary, but my eye is so trained to pick these things up with Berserk that every little flaw just sticks out all the more to me.

That said, I am still enjoying the series despite its missteps. And I felt episode 23 sort of brought it back to where it was before 21 threatened to derail the whole thing for me. Even though I was laughing about 'Hai Yo' being so overbearing in the digest episode, I thought that its use at the end of episode 23 was its best application yet. It's this grand heroic song and the characters were all presented doing momentous things. The OST and the visuals were paired extremely well in it. At the end, when Guts was losing control to the Beast, I thought for a second that it would end with him threatening the rest of the group and it would be a 'haha see you next season' moment.

I have a strange feeling we'll be getting a third season of the anime. Not sure why that is. It's just what my gut is telling me.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I just started catching back up with it, and yes there are flaws, but i am still being entertained, and still enjoy it. I will keep watching