Berserk Lost Children Arc Anime Coming

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
The animation is not that bad. And its shaping up to be a good anime. It does feel rushed like its progressing to quickly. It just may be the difference of watching compared to reading.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think you're on the money by noting the difference between reading and watching.

If you watch, for example, Dragonball Kai, you'll notice how the story just blazes by. Compare that with the manga or even the original Dragonball Z, which had a shit ton of padding, awkward pacing and filler arcs, and you begin to see the problem with older anime shows in general, especially when adapted from a source. Sometimes they take too long to tell their story when there's a better, more efficient way to do it without losing any of the emotional potency from the visuals or the narrative.

Berserk, on paper, is easy to absorb because there are so many details in each and every panel. Every single image in the manga is a work of art painstakingly crafted by Miura.

But the anime doesn't need to be that. The anime doesn't need to take long, ponderous shots on each and every scene. I think that when people ask for that sort of meandering, ponderous visual aesthetic because 'that's how the manga is', they're being art fags.

The TV show is detailed and visually complex in its own way. The problem is that so many Berserk fans are so effete about their vision of the source that there's no room for interpretation. It's a combination of a small group of people bitching and moaning about what they believe the spirit of the manga to be and everyone else is either being shamed into agreeing with them or they're just jumping on the bandwagon because anime fans are some of the worst hive mind haters on the internet.

Show is great. Looks good. Well paced and doing exactly what it needs to do.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I think the difference though is in the original series they really stretched the golden age arc but in a really good way. The scenes, the character development is what propelled the manga to its height.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
That is true, but Golden Age is a vastly different story than Conviction. It required a different approach to achieve that level of gravitas. It's why the movie trilogy, while a fun distraction, didn't deliver on its promise. The world post Eclipse is a different place, and telling that story the same way as Golden Age on the TV screen probably wouldn't work the same. There are characters, themes and plots that need a different type of time to decompress.

In Conviction, it's mostly Guts running to find Casca and meeting up with the people that will become his friends. Those stories are all being told separately right now. But I believe the decompression is correct for the story right now. The scene with Luca and her girls wasn't too fast-it was the right amount of length exactly.

The entire second episode of the series is largely Guts being existential through his own internal examinations and the reflections of those around him.

This isn't the Golden Age. That is over, RIP and I never want to see it animated again. Unless, of course, they decide to do a 'FMA: Brotherhood" treatment to Berserk. But I'm not going to bitch and moan that it isn't happening. This show is fine.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I totally agree with you on this. The story has been told the characters set. Its time to continue the story. And again, I like it.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Fuck yeah BERSERK THREAD! I've been stalling on reading the manga (due to the hiatus, need to start up again) but reading the most recent pages here, it seems like most everything that can be said (good and bad) about the current season has been discussed here. Outside the sub-ps2 graphic presentation at times and Sagisu's mixed score (idk why he maimed his gorgeous blood and guts golden age arc track tbh, or added near dubstep drops in combat scenes) but I'm happy with the accuracy of the adaptation at least. Seem's like Miura's story can't be realized with cripplingly low production values, but its always been that way.

I run an anime podcast on my site where we recently did an episode all about Berserk (mainly the golden age arc films) if anyone's interested in hearing a bunch of weeb's rambling for two hours. It's a labor of love. Let me know if any of you listen.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
watched up to ep. 5 and i agree with you Taiso. The show is good, and it delivers on what it should. If people want more in depth stuff there is always the manga to read, and many of the scenes don't really need the level of depth that they had in the manga. reading and watching are 2 different mediums, and shouldn't be approached in the same way. Also, the art style reminds me of valkyria chronicles. There have been some scene that I think had a lazyish approach like after Guts is tortured by Lady Farneze, and he walks out of the tent. But most scenes are just fine. I'm looking forward to more

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The sixth episode was a little all over the place in terms of its stories. I am not saying this as a criticism, necessarily. It's just that these events played out with a bit more deliberate of a pacing in the manga so it was a little weird to see it all happen so fast. This is typical set up stuff but because Berserk's story is so strong, every last second of it is compelling.

Mozgus is perfectly realized in this. I am so happy with how they are handling him. It's better than I ever could have hoped for in terms of his unsettling fanaticism.

The CGI is fine with me. I love the animation, the texture, the movement of the characters. I disagree with the criticisms that the camera doesn't know what to do. The visual style is growing on me big time as I go with this show. It's not even that it's getting better or anything. It's that I realized I don't want to watch more typical looking anime unless its production values are on the level of Sunrise's current Gundam output (RE:0096 and Gundam: The Origin, for example). I like this show's look and animation because it's just so different.

And better than its critics believe.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
They really did jump all over the place in this episode. They kinda jumped around and skipped a bunch during the heretic scene. You did not really get sense of what transpired their.

Just my opinion but the new characters there adding seem weak. I think the biggest factor that made the anime and manga is character development. So far it seems the writers are just out to push the story.

We the watchers need the sense that things are not going to be ok. That complete feeling of despair is lacking.

To me thats what is making attack on titan an equally exciting show.

Im not saying this rendition of Berserk is bad, just feels rushed.

And again the CG looks great.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think the characters will all become the characters we like gradually. Trying to force them on the audience all at once wouldn't feel organic. It would feel like they were broadcasting 'HEY LOOK AT THESE CHARACERS WE'RE GOING TO TELL YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM TO MAKE THEM COOL!'

Nah.

By the time the arc is done, you'll see how the gradual reveal of the characters' motivations and histories will end up being healthier for the narrative. And more organic.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
They really did jump all over the place in this episode. They kinda jumped around and skipped a bunch during the heretic scene. You did not really get sense of what transpired their.

Just my opinion but the new characters there adding seem weak. I think the biggest factor that made the anime and manga is character development. So far it seems the writers are just out to push the story.

We the watchers need the sense that things are not going to be ok. That complete feeling of despair is lacking.

To me thats what is making attack on titan an equally exciting show.

Im not saying this rendition of Berserk is bad, just feels rushed.

And again the CG looks great.

agree 100% with everything you say you definitely dont get that dark feeling of despair that was there in the camp around the tower

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
i'm up to episode 5 and still not a fan of the CGI. it's pretty stiff and non-expressive IMO most the time - although in some of the action scenes the movement is pretty solid.
I feel like Japan is in the PS1 days of computer animation, in terms of fluidity and making it feel natural. I know CG is more cost-effective and that's probably how things will be in the future, but I dunno, I just rly prefer the hand drawn moments (like when Guts is pissed and they show his face drawn all close up) even if it's a still slow pan...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
i'm up to episode 5 and still not a fan of the CGI. it's pretty stiff and non-expressive IMO most the time - although in some of the action scenes the movement is pretty solid.
I feel like Japan is in the PS1 days of computer animation, in terms of fluidity and making it feel natural. I know CG is more cost-effective and that's probably how things will be in the future, but I dunno, I just rly prefer the hand drawn moments (like when Guts is pissed and they show his face drawn all close up) even if it's a still slow pan...

How old are you?

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
old enough to have tried 3D animation on an SGI computer back in the day, lol. the CG isn't a deal breaker, but I think it could've been done better is all

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Wrong thread. Don't post here again.

Well technically we where posting about the game earlier in this thread. Partly my fault saying we needed a new game and I was quickly corrected that there was a new game in the works.

Ps new gameplay demo looks good!

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, I suppose I should have elaborated a bit more in that post but I was excited when I saw the gameplay vid so I was pretty brief when I posted it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well technically we where posting about the game earlier in this thread. Partly my fault saying we needed a new game and I was quickly corrected that there was a new game in the works.

Ps new gameplay demo looks good!

Let's keep this about the anime version of the lost children arc.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Might be more appropriate if this thread was called Berserk 2016 anime. Can't find where to change it, tho...

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Could just chamge it too Berserk and all related badassery. Imo.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Personally I think the threads should be separated. Berserk is cool enough to warrant it.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Idk guys i think I'm gonna finish reading the manga and wait till this gets a dub. And maybe some blu ray release touch-ups if possible. I usually watch subs exclusively but for Berserk I genuinely love the trio of Marc Diraison (Guts, Carrie Keranen (Casca, super nice person! Got to meet her actually at Fanime in San Jose I think or it was Kraken con, dont recall rn), and Kevin T. Collins (griffith). Also they produced this masterpiece.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Idk guys i think I'm gonna finish reading the manga and wait till this gets a dub. And maybe some blu ray release touch-ups if possible. I usually watch subs exclusively but for Berserk I genuinely love the trio of Marc Diraison (Guts, Carrie Keranen (Casca, super nice person! Got to meet her actually at Fanime in San Jose I think or it was Kraken con, dont recall rn), and Kevin T. Collins (griffith). Also they produced this masterpiece.

Thats actually really cool! I would recomend at least giving it a chance. It really is good even subbed.