Whats the best Metal Slug games in order

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug

I don't really like 4 and 5 so I don't know how to rank them. Also, with the slowdown reduction patch, I'd put 2 above X.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Been playing some MS6 lately. It's legit.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It is, I enjoy playing with Ralph and Clark a lot. Leona is on XX, I should give that a go too...

madman

I started writing up a mini review, but I defend MS6 like I have MS5. Yeah the secrets and little details aren't in there, but MS6 is still a good time and the zooming out is a welcome change to the game. Also, Donkey Slug!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I started writing up a mini review, but I defend MS6 like I have MS5. Yeah the secrets and little details aren't in there, but MS6 is still a good time and the zooming out is a welcome change to the game. Also, Donkey Slug!

and the fact that ralf jones is a playable character makes ms6 a highly acceptable game in the series.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Overclocked MS2 > MS Turbo > MS2

If MS2 turbo would play overclocked there would be no slowdown.

Anyways,

MS2
MS
MS3
MSX

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary
MS2, MS1 >>>> MS3, MSX >>>>>>>>> the Rest... I am pretty much only playing the original and its sequel

madman

Overclocked MS2 > MS Turbo > MS2

If MS2 turbo would play overclocked there would be no slowdown.
It's amazing how far MS2 defenders will go. MS2 Turbo running on an emulator on a 4Ghz i7 with a graphics card coming out next year hooked up to a monitor only available to NASA > MSX.

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary
It's amazing how far MS2 defenders will go. MS2 Turbo running on an emulator on a 4Ghz i7 with a graphics card coming out next year hooked up to a monitor only available to NASA > MSX.

...and I even prefer the vanilla, slowdown-ridden original MS2 over MSX or any other slug...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
2>X 4 lyfe ninjas!

Never got around to playing 4 and I saw 6 in an arcade once.

MS5 has the coolest music and MS3 is the most fun to credit-feed and play co-op.

MS1 for 1CC.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder

Not really defending it, Ive played MS2 Turbo on an actual OC'd AES and there was no slowdown, but it crashes very often, thats just the facts.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I'm mainly familiar with 1, 2 and X, so tell me, what puts 4 so far down most people's lists for the MVS/AES platform or in general?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I'm mainly familiar with 1, 2 and X, so tell me, what puts 4 so far down most people's lists for the MVS/AES platform or in general?

bad level design and just all round boring compared to the other slugs. ms4 is just one of those games where i can't wait till it's over once i'm half way through the game. not a bad game, but certainly doesn't live up to the metal slug name.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
4 feels like a bad romhack, not a real Slug game created by a competent video game studio.

The series lost something after 3, but 5, 6, and even 7 were still pretty good games.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
To me its always X first followed by 1. However I really have a soft spot in my heart for 4 because it goes back to shorter ages and less alien crap. 3 feels awesome the first time you play it then after that you realize it just drags on and on forever. Series could of easily stopped on the neo imho tho. I got 6 for my atomiswave when I first had one but, I always thought dolphin blue was way more fun.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
i love metal slug 5 and 6. ms5 had great level design and a great sound track. and the fact that ralf and clark are playable characters in ms6 makes the game very likeable.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
3 feels awesome the first time you play it then after that you realize it just drags on and on forever. Series could of easily stopped on the neo imho tho.

Yup. I still love 3, but I prefer to play it via Emulation or on the PS4 now so I don't play the whole game at once.

I got 6 for my atomiswave when I first had one but, I always thought dolphin blue was way more fun.

Absolutely, Dolphin Blue is a blast, and easily better than 6. It's the main reason I still have a AW.

JoeAwesome

bad level design and just all round boring compared to the other slugs. ms4 is just one of those games where i can't wait till it's over once i'm half way through the game. not a bad game, but certainly doesn't live up to the metal slug name.

4 feels like a bad romhack, not a real Slug game created by a competent video game studio.

The series lost something after 3, but 5, 6, and even 7 were still pretty good games.

Thanks on the MS4 opinions. Having recently played it on my 161, I tend to believe there's something off about the level designs.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Slug 4 belongs in the garbage bin. :p

This is like one of those times somebody is making fun of a retarded kid and I gotta step in... Slug 4 belongs in a museum, albeit a shitty free museum but come on its still decent :-) pay no attention to the fact a NOS mvs kit is only 55 bucks plus shipping.... Ok go ahead and bash it I can't defend the little window licker.

JoeAwesome

Well, I decided to buy 4 for about $20 shipped (cart only, no serials). I get it's not anywhere near good as 1, 2 or X, but it's not all bad.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
If the other Slugs didn't exist, 4 and 5 would be considered masterpieces. But 1,2,X,3 do exist, and the rest just aren't on the same level, not even close.

The original series was going to end at 3, the later games are superfluous (albeit pretty good) fan-fiction by different developers.

My order would be:
3,X,1,2,5,6,4

Haven't played any of the handheld stuff.