Whats the best Metal Slug games in order

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I pretty much rank the metal slug series exactly as they were released, 1 being my favorite

metal slug
metal slug 2
metal slug x
metal slug 3 (to be honest 2/3/x are pretty interchangeable to me, I love them all slightly less than 1.)
metal slug whatever after.... there are some playable, even fun games later.... but I wouldn't put any of them anywhere near my top 50 favorite games of all time.... and all of the original 4 would make that list easily.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
MS1 below MS5? Ban plz.

lol that list is in order of my personal preference. in terms of quality,i would put them in this order:

metal slug 3
metal slug x
metal slug 1
metal slug 2
metal slug 5
metal slug 4

cyber lip > metal slug 4

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I pretty much rank the metal slug series exactly as they were released, 1 being my favorite.

Best ranking so far & all the same for me, except 1&2 being my favorite. The latter because of the slowdown -- against all rational thinking, I'm a big fan of it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Best ranking so far & all the same for me, except 1&2 being my favorite. The latter because of the slowdown -- against all rational thinking, I'm a big fan of it.

same here.metal slug 2 is my second favourite in the entire franchise despite the slowdown. msx is the better game but has lost a charm that ms2 had.and i find that the slowdown in ms2 isn't that bad on emulation. playing it on the actual hardware seems to be where the slowdown is most noticeable.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Top tier: Geostorm
High tier: 1, 2, X, 3
Don't bother: the rest

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
X
Shock Troopers

Never played the other slugs.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Top tier: Geostorm
High tier: 1, 2, X, 3
Don't bother: the rest

X
Shock Troopers

Never played the other slugs.

I've said it before in the what are you playing thread, but MS5 really deserves a chance. I initially wrote it off when I had it years ago, but after picking it up again there is some fun to be had. Yeah, there are some bugs and it does feel a little bit unfinished, but it's still worth picking up. As good as 1 and X? No. As good as Shock Troopers? Certainly not. But, still a fun game and a worthwhile addition to a Neo collection.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Of course it's good, it's a Noise Factory game. The Fiat 500 scene alone is worth the trouble. If you want to reinvent the wheel, then go and try to sell 3's last level.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
3 was one hell of a swan song for SNK and I get why they did it that way, but playing it today is wicked tedious.

This. I feel like I NEED to save some time to play this. 1 for me is the best because it's fun, straightforward and I can pick up and play easily.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This. I feel like I NEED to save some time to play this. 1 for me is the best because it's fun, straightforward and I can pick up and play easily.

MS3 is definitely worth a play through, for sure. If it weren't for the last stage I would rank it much higher as the rest of the game is great. I would agree MS1 is the most straight forward, I like MSX because of the additional hidden items over 1 and 2. Every time I play 2 I'm shooting the same areas looking for the hidden items to appear, but MS1 does have plenty of background stuff to destroy as well. I even like the little details like shooting the meat off the fish. Other than MS4, I feel you can't really go wrong with the original Neo Geo Slug lineup.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
2, 1, 3, 5, X, 4

1 is def. the easiest to pick up and play for me 2 might be the most fun and when I really want to get into it it's either 3 or 5

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Funny you should say that since Slug originally wasn't an SNK property.