whats a good shooter to start out with

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i know i said aero fighters 2 in a previous post, but the sequel has to be my favourite shooter on the neo. love the visuals,sound track and variety of aero fighters 3.

Redguard

New Challenger
Aero Fighters 2 and 3. And also Blazing star. They are all great pick up and play games and not insanely difficult.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Another vote for Blazing Star its got a great soundtrack and is real thrill to play. I prefer it to Pulstar which is handy as its a pricey cart to get. Twinkle Star Sprites is a great original (vs) shooter, but also expensive to pick up.

Viewpoint is superb, it is really tough and fairly expensive too. It is simultaneous 2 player, but users a strange screen scrolling during play which often traps you when trying to dodge bullets, depending on where the other player is moving.

Missile

Another Striker
Agree with Blazing Star. It can be played for progression (lower skill) or for points (high skill). The perfect game

Also agree with wataru330 about ZedBlade: Under-rated, imaginative bosses, great music (suits the game) and it's refreshingly simple.

Viewpoint is superb, it is really tough and fairly expensive too. It is simultaneous 2 player, but users a strange screen scrolling during play which often traps you when trying to dodge bullets, depending on where the other player is moving.

Thumbs-up to that too. Love Viewpoint myself.

Last edited:

hermosaguy

Geese's Thug
I think Mushi is a good one, but just hear me out. Had a buddy watching me play and he had a go at it. I think the whole bullet hell thing struck him as new so he was into it. Took a bit to explain mechanics and such but was definitely having fun. I think a good bullet hell is a gateway drug to other games like ikaruga or garegga that have different types of technica systems. Even though Mushi does have its own, the colors and patterns can definitely draw people in!

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary
Thumbs-up to that too. Love Viewpoint myself.

Viewpoint is great, but I am not sure it fits the whole "starting point"-thingy. The game can be brutal.

On the Neo I would recommend AF2 and PI2 as starting points. Both great looking and sounding games that start out fairly easy...

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Blazing Star is what introduced me to MVS shooters, so I'll always vote for it as a good starting point. Graduate to Pulstar when you're ready, as it's a different game all together.