whats a good shooter to start out with

I have an mini mvs and a couple of games and wanted to get some opinions of a couple of great shooters you would recommend.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
strikers 1945:
for some psikyo goodness on the neo.

aero fighters 2:
may look like a simple shooter at first glance,but put some time in to this and you would see why many prefer it over strikers.

I have Last Resort and aero fighters 2 which I really like and have been thinking of strikers 1945/strikers 1945 plus, Blazing Star, and Captain Tomaday. I looked at the pricing guides on this site but they do not seem to be the prices that folks are selling for on ebay. What do you guys think are fair prices for the cart with marquee?

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The price guides are extremely out of date. There is an ebay auction for a stirkers 1945 going on right now that you can try your luck on. The price of it has been holding steady in the $100ish range for the last few years. Great game unless you're talking to Yodd.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Last Resort
Strikers 1945+
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Prehistoric Isle 2
Aero Fighters 2
Andro Dunos

There's more but those are prolly the ones I like best. You can't go wrong with any really, even Ghost Pilots has its moments. The only game I don't recommend 'cause it's difficult to get into is ASOII Alpha Mission II, great premise and that star soldier feel but it's just fucking crazy with the armor/weapon system, it's gonna leave you in a WTF state...

...as for other type of shooters, well...NAM '75, get it now and welcome to hell in advance...

...also the Metal Slugs and Shock Troopers of course...

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Prehistoric Isle 2 is probably the easiest to get into with it's self-exlanatory gameplay.

Otherwise, this is a tricky question... meaning, it depends on how your mindset is towards credit feeding. If it does not bother you, then Blazing Star would be best suited to begin with. One can always limit the credits to, let's say 10 per session, and work it down from there. Similar goes for Andro Dunos. Use auto fire on both, it makes things a lot easier. If it does bother you though, then Last Resort is a nice start, it's the easiest out of the respawn point shmups on the Neo but it still takes time to get into its complex satellite mechanics. If you don't want to deal with complexity, then take Viewpoint and use the afore mentioned auto fire.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'd say Aero Fighters 2 as well, not the best shmup on the system, but overall good fun and it can still be had at a reasonable price.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
AF2 is the starting point.

If you like horis go with Andro Dunos and work your way up to Blazing Star.

GET IT MORE!

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
AF2 is the starting point.

If you like horis go with Andro Dunos and work your way up to Blazing Star.

GET IT MORE!

Agreed.
I really wouldn't start with "Blazing Star" as it is pretty much (one of) the highlight(s) and you can go only downhill from there,
If you can, proceed chronologically. That's what I do. I'd even start with "Alpha Mission II" but if you don't want that, skip to "Ghost Pilots", which is quite awesome.
Then "Andro Dunos" and "Last Resort". And so on.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Prehistoric Isle 2 is very cool, and also very beginner friendly.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Pulstar all the way. It's easy until it becomes difficult, and then the whole memorization of patterns and patience aspects come into play. To me it's the most rewarding outside of bullet hell games.

atty101

n00b
Pulstar all the way. It's easy until it becomes difficult, and then the whole memorization of patterns and patience aspects come into play. To me it's the most rewarding outside of bullet hell games.
So is it generally understood that Pulstar is a better game than Blazing Star?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So is it generally understood that Pulstar is a better game than Blazing Star?

No. There's no such consensus whatsoever. Also...

Empty slogan. Blooming truism, and then the whole motherhood statements come into play. It ends with the most rewarding misinterpretation outside of all the flatness your post had to offer about the game in question.

Why couldn't it be as vivid as that documentary idea? At the risk of being charged for cynicism, I liked what's hidden under that link of yours. Maybe I just streched the principle of censure here, but it sounds, as if you never really played that game.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Can't think of any good ones.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Zed Blade has some fun music. And, because NMK.

zed blade could get very addictive. i also thought the game had amazing visuals once. looking back at it now, i can't see why i thought that lol. but yeah, the sound track is a highlight for the game.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Blazing star, very fun and two player co-op is very fun. We play just to see who can get the furthest on one credit

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Very subjective question, but i'd go with blazing star or prehistoric isle 2. If you want some real diamonds to play in the shooter genre though you really need to get a saturn or xbox 360 IMO.