Naomi to Jamma sound amp options?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm assuming you want to run a NAOMI in a JAMMA cabinet... in that case, the Capcom IO will amp the audio for you.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm assuming you want to run a NAOMI in a JAMMA cabinet... in that case, the Capcom IO will amp the audio for you.

Actually, I have a Capcom I/O and two different Sega I/Os and that works perfectly for anything I want to play that's 15khz or via my supergun.

What I'm trying to do is actually a bit stranger...
I'm trying to run Naomi 31khz games through an Ultracade uVC, which is converting them so they can display on a 15khz monitor. Video and controls work... I just haven't figured out how to get audio through the Jamma harness to my Sega Astro City's mono speakers.

I've tried using the Capcom I/O to route just the audio and controls, but have found that plugging the audio cables from the Naomi into the Capcom I/O causing the uVC's picture to roll. Unplug them and the uVC's picture is stable.

While I'm not even sure if running some type of input audio converter between the Naomi and jamma harness will clear this up, it's the last thing I haven't tried.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That is really fucking weird. Have you tried flipping the sync switch inside the IO? Also out of curiosity are there games on the NAOMI that won't work with the 15khz dip on?

Edit; I'm not horribly familiar with the uVC but I could speculate a ground loop somewhere perhaps depending on how everything is powered.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
That is really fucking weird. Have you tried flipping the sync switch inside the IO? Also out of curiosity are there games on the NAOMI that won't work with the 15khz dip on?

Crazy Taxi and Jambo! Safari run in 15khz/31khz, but all of the other racing games will only work in 31khz mode. So they won't even load on a 15khz monitor...and if they do, they're split screened due to the resolution.

Edit; I'm not horribly familiar with the uVC but I could speculate a ground loop somewhere perhaps depending on how everything is powered.

I was getting noise when I was powering the uVC through the Jamma harness, so I isolated that and am powering the uVC by it's own separate power supply. I'm feeding the R/G/B/Sync/Video Ground wires from the uVC into a Jamma harness connector I made. And I made it in such a way that it doesn't feed into the Capcom I/O's video signal lines at all. I know that's hard to explain, so here are some of my crazy hand made adapters...

I made this connector to hook consoles and vga devices to an arcade machine. It has a db25 for controls, video connector, unfinished audio wires, and power harness.
MGziTbu.jpg

Top is my Taito F3/Taito G-Net adapter. It allows them to be powered by a separate power supply and has a Spinner connector.
Bottom is my Atomiswave connector (it fixes a color problem), but it has the video and audio plugs like the console connector in the other picture.
eD0gf8m.jpg

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
What signal is 32khz?

Heh!
Sorry. Yes, I meant to say 31khz.

At any rate, I dug around in my PC junk drawer and found some powered computer speakers... so I took them apart and wired that to the Jamma harness (I'd done something similar before with a JPAC). Add a RCA to 3.5mm Stereo plug to the mix, and it's perfect. Naomi's sounds goes right through the Jamma harness to the speakers.

PyNYDYr.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Heh!
Sorry. Yes, I meant to say 31khz.

Ah I see, that's what I thought you meant. I'm still learning new things everyday so I thought it might be something uncommon like brazilian NTSC.