TV made weird noise, screen went black, but working now?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I was doing some homework earlier, and something weird happened. I heard what I think was a slight pop sound, and it was followed be a sound that sounded like a release of pressure.

I have an LCD tv, it's at least 5 years old.

Anyway, my screen went black. I thought my tv died, but I noticed I heard sound still. So I turned it off, and back on. It's working fine now.

It has me a little worried. Not sure what happened, and if it could maybe start a fire, or maybe my tv is dying, or maybe if this is normal in rare cases from time to time.

My tv is grounded, with a decent surge protector. It's not a super nice one or anything, but I didn't get a cheap one.

Anyone have any ideas here?

I think it was my tv, I guess it could have been my pc, or one of the other numerous things plugged in. But since the tv did go black, that is what I am thinking.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Sounds like your TV's power supply blew a capacitor or two, I'd take a look inside and replace all the caps on the power supply board if you can. It seems to be a very common problem with some modern TVs and monitors.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Sounds like your TV's power supply blew a capacitor or two, I'd take a look inside and replace all the caps on the power supply board if you can. It seems to be a very common problem with some modern TVs and monitors.

This guy nailed it, most power supply's will have a few 1000uf or 1500uf caps on the power supply. Even with a bad one you can sometimes still fire it up, but be advised to go ahead and change them all (probably only about 3 or so). You can try changing the one bad one but odds are some 6 months later you will be pulling it apart again to fix another. If your unfamiliar with any of this just take the back of your TV off and look at where the power plug goes in. That first board with the big capacitors is the one you want to check first. Good luck with it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This guy nailed it, most power supply's will have a few 1000uf or 1500uf caps on the power supply. Even with a bad one you can sometimes still fire it up, but be advised to go ahead and change them all (probably only about 3 or so). You can try changing the one bad one but odds are some 6 months later you will be pulling it apart again to fix another. If your unfamiliar with any of this just take the back of your TV off and look at where the power plug goes in. That first board with the big capacitors is the one you want to check first. Good luck with it.

Hopefully it makes it till after my semester ends Wednesday. I've never done this, but have slight soldering skills I will pull it apart, and take some pics next week.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Most TVs are very modular. It might be less trouble find a spare power supply on eBay.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Same issue happened to me, definitely open it to double check. Be safe though. Some PSUs have similar product numbers, so be careful when buying.