NIOH PS4 - Looks like Dark Souls + Onimusha - Team Ninja.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I am having the most luck with the Axe so far. Just time your attacks well. The weapon you use against someone else using the same weapon seems to run in their favor it seems. I like the fight against another players build with NPCs, adds a new way to practice it. The lock-on with attacks going elsewhere is a problem for me though. Only played it for 2 hours tonight.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I am having the most luck with the Axe so far. Just time your attacks well. The weapon you use against someone else using the same weapon seems to run in their favor it seems. I like the fight against another players build with NPCs, adds a new way to practice it. The lock-on with attacks going elsewhere is a problem for me though. Only played it for 2 hours tonight.

Yeah, the axe looks strong, but I didn't find one till I had pumped all my samurai points in katana.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Working on the second boss. This game is really damn good!!! Team Ninja redeemed themselves with this game. The high, mid and low stance adds so damn much to this genre!!! Ninja Gaiden, Onimusha, and D Souls done right!!!

Electricgrave, get in on some of this!

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
This game has one steep as fuck learning curve. I've made it to some mandatory two sets of enemies and keep getting pwnd...

Marek

Banned
So I finally got to the second shrine save point. This game is seriously good shit. I like it way more than the souls as far as combat and mood/art value.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I beat the first stage as well. I'm not liking it as much as souls yet though. We are still in alpha, so hopefully some things are tweaked. For one, I like a variety of items, but hate unnecessary Doubles of items with similar stats. The items feel like Diablo items. So many, and I never know which is best. I also hate that armor, and weapons have to constantly be repaired. I also dislike that you can travel between shrines, and once you enter a stage it's impossible to leave. I beast stage one, and decided to go back to look some more, now I'm stick and can't leave. Hopefully that is just in the demo. I also think the combat feels kind of clunky. It just doesn't have that fluid feel.

Still liking the game though. I would buy in it's current state for the price, and imagine it will be even better upon release. Just hoping the stages have a very diverse feel, and don't all involve a maze like village, and some woods.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Finished the second area's boss last night. It took me like 30 tries for 2 days. You have to keep moving when those lightning attacks come from the sky and mostly stick 'n move with the sword. The second area is more of big open map with bridges, logs, buildings and shallow water. I like it a lot more than the first area village and forest. Whetstones become more common, but if you grind on certain enemies too much, you will find yourself almost out of them and worn weapon. BTW, those bombs will fuck up anything just about by catching them on fire... save them for the giants. Overall, I have to say this is a great game and what an amazing demo that lets you play a lot of the game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sancho!!!! Gonna play the game today when I get home, it's gonna be great!

Ninja Gaiden Black is a fucking masterpiece. Any other Ninja Gaiden made after 1995 is fucking terrible.

You're right about NGB, but you are way off for thinking NG2 and NG3RE are terrible, just shows how much you know.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I really enjoyed the game. I didn't get really far due to playing lots of DS3 and SFV right now, also, the learning curve is pretty steep, which is a good thing. the Stance system is going to be really cool once you figure it out completely. Looking forward to this one

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The demo is no longer accessible, even if you downloaded it earlier.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Well that sucks. I only beat stage 1 and got the extra download. Was there an extra download for completing level two?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The demo is no longer accessible, even if you downloaded it earlier.

Balls. I never quite figured much of it out. Like what is the purpose of different stances besides speed vs damage. I did enjoy the game more once I found the "action" mode that lowers visuals for smoother fps.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Well that sucks. I only beat stage 1 and got the extra download. Was there an extra download for completing level two?

Nope. Just missed a nice small (but more open) map swarming with big fucking monsters.

Like what is the purpose of different stances besides speed vs damage.

High stance - more damage, less combos, less speed
Low stance - less damage, more combos, more speed

I think the range differs too, but I haven't tested much. I went through the entire demo using Spear - high stance only.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I probably would have got my ass kicked in stage two anyway. I was only level 18 in stage one and getting murdered by the boss till i got co op help. I pumped every single point in strength, and chipping the bosses life is an overstatement, even buffed he was impossible. I would have had to hit him probably 80 times, and would be lucky if i took two or three hits. He was ridiculous.

Low stance also lets you stamina regen on strafes as well. Thats super important.

Also mid stance is good for blocking.

One thing i hated was that you had to let go of block to swing. That killed me so many times.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
honestly, the biggest problem I had was the lock on.
the fact that you still turned around on backing up got me assassinated so many times.

As is, I probably wouldn't buy the game; but it's an alpha.
I'll keep an eye on it, but I still need to spend some time on DkSIII.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
With all the time I've been putting into DSIII, the lack of a button mapping option for the demo was irritating. So many deaths just because the button scheme was different and felt awkward. Something about the flow of battles felt off to me as well. It almost felt like there were frames of animation missing when getting attacked by one of those spirit enemies or when they'd backstep from a slash; their movements came unnaturally fast to the point of battles feeling unfair. At least wit DS, I never feel cheated when I get my ass handed to me, but Nioh a number of "you've got to be kidding me" moments.
I'll still give the game another look, but I hope there will be another demo with more polish down the line before I commit to a purchase.