Sega Genesis cart playing music too slowly

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I have a peculiar problem. My Hellfire cart plays music at the wrong speed. It definitely worked properly in the past. Effects and such are played correctly, and the gameplay speed itself is correct. The really interesting part is when I go into the sound test menu, the only tracks that are affected are 00-09. 10-29 (the continue track and some SFX) all sound normal. Is there an addressing problem here or something? I don't know much about the internals of Genesis carts. If I had to guess the music is around half speed or slower. No other games are affected by this issue on this console.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
IIRC, Hellfire music only plays at the correct speed on Genesis model 1s. My Genny 2 and 3 play at the slower speed you describe. Maybe it is dependent on the presence of a YM2612 sound chip but it's definitely hardware related.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
This is on a Model 2. Hm. I figured the SFX would be affected too. I'll try it on a Model 1 soon.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah i was gonna ask what model genny you got. I tend to notice more sound related issues on my cdx vs my model 1.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
IIRC, Hellfire music only plays at the correct speed on Genesis model 1s. My Genny 2 and 3 play at the slower speed you describe. Maybe it is dependent on the presence of a YM2612 sound chip but it's definitely hardware related.

That is rather interesting. It does make a lot of sense as they went through a lot of audio revisions across the machines. Would be interesting to see how they interface with the sound chip differently from other games to see whether it's an audio driver issue that would impact other games using the same/similar driver.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I'd be interested to know if it's patchable.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I had the same problem with Hellfire too, but I can't recall if I had a Model 1 or 2 Genesis at the time (I used to have both, but I only have 2 now). That slow music always perplexed me as well.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My younger brother really loved Hellfire, and he was way better at it than me. I think I only made it as far as the third or fourth boss, but he was able to complete the entire thing, and even on the higher difficulties to boot too if I'm remembering correctly. Anyway, back then, when I first noticed that the music wasn't playing as fast as it used to, I was suspicious that he had done something to my cart and didn't want to fess up about what he had done.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Good info in that linked thread, looks like it could potentially be easily patchable. I'll add it to the list of things I'll never get to.