Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gunlord & Last Hope: Pink Bullets MVS reprints ON SALE NOW!

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
    I think one problem with the DC releases was how easily they were pirated. They needed to add something for protection like Sturmwind did.
    Sturmwind was pirated.

Camel Slug

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    Sturmwind was pirated.
    Yeah but it took like 2 years, more than enough time to sell the game to the people who really want to play it.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Yeah but it took like 2 years, more than enough time to sell the game to the people who really want to play it.
    ~1 year, Giant is the first to give the backup method.

- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

yeah he did that

So if you preorder the game do you have to pay upfront? I don't understand why it takes them 6+ months to deliver and I wouldn't be happy with my moneytied up that long. Having said that, I think it would be cool to get a copy of Razion.
    NEO GEO AES serial#338685
    NEO GEO CDZ serial#24611

HATERS GONNA HATE

Rugal's Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by jbeedham View Post
    So if you preorder the game do you have to pay upfront? I don't understand why it takes them 6+ months to deliver and I wouldn't be happy with my moneytied up that long. Having said that, I think it would be cool to get a copy of Razion.
    Yup, 100% up front. You're lucky if it's anywhere close to 6 months btw.
    NG: DEV SCOREBOARD <<<< CLOSED DUE TO EXCESSIVELY HIGH VOLUME OF PARTICIPATION

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprit View Post
    I'm with you. Whatever they do with their upcoming hardware, a cheaper medium is an absolute must. Additionally, I hope they will allow for the possibility of other devs to produce and release games on the hardware. It would be a shame if the hardware turned out to be something similar to Cave's CV1000 pcbs. If that turns out to be the case, we will be back at square one.
    Yeah that's what I'm curious about myself. I know I posted on their Facebook page about how they plant to please their AES and MVS fans, and they said their new hardware would mimic that of the Neo Geo, therefore allowing people to enjoy these new games in arcade cabs or via their home entertainment system. So that's an interesting quote because this mean it will be an all-in-one solution, or have multiple hardware options, etc.

Neo*Geomancer

I'm with you. Whatever they do with their upcoming hardware, a cheaper medium is an absolute must. Additionally, I hope they will allow for the possibility of other devs to produce and release games on the hardware. It would be a shame if the hardware turned out to be something similar to Cave's CV1000 pcbs. If that turns out to be the case, we will be back at square one.
    Moving away from Neo could be a mistake. Hardcore Neo completists will have no incentive to buy. OTOH, they will gain some sales from non-Neo people. But will these new potential customers have deep enough pockets to support the product?

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by wyo_vr4 View Post
    Moving away from Neo could be a mistake. Hardcore Neo completists will have no incentive to buy. OTOH, they will gain some sales from non-Neo people. But will these new potential customers have deep enough pockets to support the product?
    That's a good point. Though if they targeted PC as a platform there would be a much larger pool of potential buyers. Then they could also have a PC based JAMMA solution to satisfy arcade gamers.

Over Top Auto Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    and they said their new hardware would mimic that of the Neo Geo, therefore allowing people to enjoy these new games in arcade cabs or via their home entertainment system.
    Sounds like they're planning something along the lines of a Pandora's Box, or at least a dedicated PCB a la the PGM-based CAVE boards. Basically, something with a Jamma edge, but also a VGA connector and/or RCA jacks.

NEST Puppet

There's definitely a market gap to fill with the half crappy Chinese XXX-in-1 and pulling the hours of configuring a mame machine.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by kuze View Post
    Though if they targeted PC as a platform there would be a much larger pool of potential buyers.
    But are their games good enough to stand out among the sheer sea of competitors?

Rugal's Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    But are their games good enough to stand out among the sheer sea of competitors?
    That's exactly it. They couldn't possibly survive making games for current hardware. Outside of the dead console market, I doubt there would be much interest in their games. Their appeal is largely based on the fact that they are producing games on a 25 year old system. They're not doing anything groundbreaking otherwise.
    NG: DEV SCOREBOARD <<<< CLOSED DUE TO EXCESSIVELY HIGH VOLUME OF PARTICIPATION

Neo*Geomancer

My money for this ended up being spent elsewhere. Probably for the best really. Anyway, Gunlord is now at 399, LHPB is still 299. Kraut Buster MVS still available at 399. Kraut Buster AES has vanished from their store.

Ukyo's Doctor

Yea, I saved my dime, I tried my other ngdev games and its not the same as older neo geo games, so I didn't spend any.

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    That's exactly it. They couldn't possibly survive making games for current hardware. Outside of the dead console market, I doubt there would be much interest in their games. Their appeal is largely based on the fact that they are producing games on a 25 year old system. They're not doing anything groundbreaking otherwise.
    This.

Chang's Grocer

Ahh, the DEVs... ambitious and misunderstood! Like their country. But do they really have the pure strength of will?

Ukyo's Doctor

I think one problem with the DC releases was how easily they were pirated. They needed to add something for protection like Sturmwind did.
    This is actually not logical right now.

If they make reprints and keep selling the DC versions, then a player who has no neo geo but has dreamcast and wants to play those games has a choice: buy the game from the developer, buy from ebay or pirate the game. one of those choices results in money going to ngdev team. only the most hardcore would buy a neo geo system for these games. (which I did for Gunlord)

If they do not make reprints and they stop selling the dc versions, then the player has only choices of buying from ebay or pirating, no chance of money going to ngdev.

I'm still debating on if I should place an order for any of these games, including Kraut Buster. I've never played an NG.Dev game so I've been trying to find lots of reviews to help make my decision.

It's bizarre that both on this forum and the shmups forum you can easily find large threads discussing NG.Dev's games before release. Yet upon release, those same threads basically fizzle out. It's the same thing on Youtube, there are more unboxing videos of NG.Dev's games than there are reviews or gameplay footage (the lack of playthroughs is a real surprise).

I know were talking about a niche of a niche product, but it seems like interest for these games disappear the moment customers get their copy. And if the Razion Neo-Geo thread is anything to go by, owners seem to be more interested in the quality of the packaging than the game itself.

So I guess my question is, are these games worth the price?
    Well, for what itīs worth I played a lot of gunlord and you can find my speedruns of it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NP...3KeZVn&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...kUty5kj-JGb7xv

And I will talk about the games all the way through these too so if you havenīt seen them, do take a looksee
    Last edited by Mendel; 01-03-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wyo_vr4 View Post
    My money for this ended up being spent elsewhere. Probably for the best really. Anyway, Gunlord is now at 399, LHPB is still 299. Kraut Buster MVS still available at 399. Kraut Buster AES has vanished from their store.
    I had the same experience with this that I did with several games from the Steam Winter Sale. I stared at the sale prices until the deals expired, which tells me I didn't really want any of them that badly.

Neo*Geomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I had the same experience with this that I did with several games from the Steam Winter Sale. I stared at the sale prices until the deals expired, which tells me I didn't really want any of them that badly.
    Just to confirm, has the LHPB price (currently 299) remained the same as it was in December? I know Gunlord went from 349 to 399.

Bashful Neophyte

Well, for what itï―īs worth I played a lot of gunlord and you can find my speedruns of it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NP...3KeZVn&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...kUty5kj-JGb7xv

And I will talk about the games all the way through these too so if you havenï―īt seen them, do take a looksee
    Thanks for posting those videos, they were really exciting to watch, especially towards the end being both short on lives and time.

I ended up foregoing pre-ordering any of the reprints, including Kraut Buster. I was just too conflicted which usually means that I can live without them. I think if I already had a curated Neo-Geo collection, which I'm slowly working towards, I would be much more open to new games for the platform. But I'm in a position where most Neo-Geo games are new to me so that desire for something new just isn't there. Yet.

(no need to shout)
    Because Rot is Watching YOU!

I'll have to order Gunlord....its springboarded me back into the Neo again!!
    Last edited by Neo Gold; 01-23-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    I live for this moment here...

Previous NGH installments!!!.
    Latest NGH additions!!.
    Back in Black....

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

I'm glad I pre ordered a copy Gunlord MVS. I can't wait to get it.

(no need to shout)
    Because Rot is Watching YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Redguard View Post
    I'm glad I pre ordered a copy Gunlord MVS. I can't wait to get it.
    Nice one, six months wait though!?...
    I live for this moment here...

Previous NGH installments!!!.
    Latest NGH additions!!.
    Back in Black....

Camel Slug

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Gold View Post
    Hell if we are lucky, it said 6+ , I am guessing it will be way on the + side haha

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Gold View Post
    I'm patient when it comes to quality homebrew.

Thread Information