Nintendo NX: What you all thinking so far? Possible fail, or Nintendo's game changer?

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Patents can be far from reality. Don't get too focused on those.

I am also hoping for a Vita style handheld that act as controller.

Yep I was going to say - patents and their illustrations are meant to get the concept across but to still hide the beauty of the product design.

Prime example:

steve_jobs_patent_with_figure.jpg

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I didn't know Steve Jobs was involved with the design of the Wii U gamepad :eek:

Man, that guy was amazing :buttrock:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I really don't understand what is so difficult...

0. Get the dev kits to developers at least a year in advance. None of this 2 months shit that happened with the Dolphin kits. Design a powerful console so modern games (CoD, GTA, whatever) can run on the system. It doesn't have to be the best. It just has to be the PS2 of the bunch.

1. Get your launch games as solid as possible: Drop a new Mario game with the system, then every 2 or 3 months release a Zelda game, a Metroid game, a Wario game, a Starfox game, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, Rhythm Heaven, Kirby - we're already well into the second year of the console's life and everyone's on board, from the OG Nintendo fans to the kids.

2. Two controllers: a Wii U style controller and a standard gaming controller. Each game should be compatible with both while the tablet pad can add some extra content.

3. Get every first party game from NES to N64 and GB to DS up on Virtual Console. Take some inspiration from the good Sega Ages releases in terms of options and including all versions with each release. It should be a digital Nintendo museum. Release first party wireless NES, SNES, etc. controllers at $50 or $60 each.

4. Create some sort of ecosystem and cross functionality with the corresponding portable system. Exploit the shit out of this for Pokemon. Release Pokemon on the portable and create some must-have supplementary content on the home console.

5. Get online straightened out. Just copy Xbox. Done.

I'd pay for that. Right?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Their new console better have some sort of achievement/trophy system.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
"While Nintendo's new platform remains shrouded in mystery, company president and CEO Tatsumi Kimishima has made it clear it won't be "the next version of Wii or Wii U."

fingers crossed.
You're taking that the wrong way. What he meant is that it won't be primarily based on a gimmick like the Wii or Wii U, not that it won't be the next home console.

My opinion for a long time is that this is going to unify Nintendo's platforms... finally.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You're taking that the wrong way. What he meant is that it won't be primarily based on a gimmick like the Wii or Wii U, not that it won't be the next home console.

My opinion for a long time is that this is going to unify Nintendo's platforms... finally.

Agree. But it's going to be how they unify them that makes the difference. A sweet handheld, and a separate normal controller will be key. Give me a 3ds xl, that docks on the console, and let's me play handheld games on the TV also, but make powerful console games too. I don't feel the handheld should be directly linked to every single game, it should have its own library, but add benefits to console games too, like certain franchises together.

If this is indeed what they do, I think it's a smart move. The ds is the handheld king next to mobile, and Nintendo knows this. Forcing people to buy a new home console, by buying a handheld, will make certain people own both consoles, therefore pushing software sales for both.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Agree. But it's going to be how they unify them that makes the difference. A sweet handheld, and a separate normal controller will be key. Give me a 3ds xl, that docks on the console, and let's me play handheld games on the TV also, but make powerful console games too. I don't feel the handheld should be directly linked to every single game, it should have its own library, but add benefits to console games too, like certain franchises together.

If this is indeed what they do, I think it's a smart move. The ds is the handheld king next to mobile, and Nintendo knows this. Forcing people to buy a new home console, by buying a handheld, will make certain people own both consoles, therefore pushing software sales for both.
I think it'll at least be a kin to iOS where you can develop games once and people can play them on the iPhone, iPad, iPod, AppleTV, etc. with varying quality levels based on the power of the specific device. That could allow for separate handheld and console hardware or potentially a dockable portable, as you are describing. I would have no issue with the suggestion others have made about a Vita-like portable/controller as long as the controller is of similar quality. In fact, I'm not even sure I'd be happy with the Vita analog sticks as the main control option.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Nintendo goes back to cartridge using flash memory. Prices per gig are more competitive than blu ray since you can use smaller size cartridge to accommodate indie developers producing more retail copies vs digital download only. Refine the Wii U game pad and will be portable with Cloud Shared rendering on the go. No need for backward compatibility since Nintendo remakes all its all games for there new platform anyway.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Nintendo recently changed Wii U Zelda from TBD back to 2016. This will be Multiplatform similar to Twilight Princess on Gamecube and Wii.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

I am hoping they just do what NEC did with PC-Engine, a home console and a portable that accept the same cart. I think they'd have the same problems they have now if they simply made them use similar architecture/API like PS Vita and PS3/PS4. Like you said, Nintendo needs to pump out a major franchise title every month. It might increase coding complexity, but scaling software to work on weak and strong hardware is a solved problem.

The console should just have a pro controller, and should be more powerful than PS4/XB1. The handheld can sacrifice power because the screen is smaller.

It also needs to be attractive, like $299.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Entirely possible since Nintendo's console and portable development teams have been consolidated.

It feels as though Nintendo is doubling down on NX software.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump

Possibly my favorite rumor going around at the moment is Nintendo opting to go with 128GB memory cards rather than Blu-ray for their games.

A youtuber I like to follow for NX news, Supermetaldave64, just had around half a dozen of his videos nuked.

Probably a cease and desist order from Big N.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqOilM38IoDQxxTEKV35xdwgrMudkcrGA

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm cautiously optimistic about this system. I think going with carts again is a mistake, but we'll see how third partys react to them.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well, that would make sense for a portable NX, I sure as hell don't want to carry around a bluray drive. I would be concerned about speed though, Vita load times are terrible considering how recent the tech is.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Well, that would make sense for a portable NX, I sure as hell don't want to carry around a bluray drive. I would be concerned about speed though, Vita load times are terrible considering how recent the tech is.

Agreed here. I should hope that in the three years it's been since the Vita dropped speeds have increased. I hope that the memory cards are not Vita sized, they should be larger and harder to lose. OG Gameboy cartridge sized memory cards would be phenomenal.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I don't like it.
pretty easy to blame for the delay of 'wiiu zelda'.

also don't care because I need a ps4 instead for reasons.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Even when the vita was released memory card speed was fine if you didn't cheap out, and Sony did. Meanwhile I can drop all kinds of games on a $10 32GB class 10 card and have no loading issues whatsoever on other devices.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Going with 128gb flash cards is a pretty great idea. A much smaller footprint, easier to take in and out, and more durable. It would also give it an extra air of modern feel over having to use optical media like the other consoles for physical releases.

Once could also assume that if it was necessary, they could support larger or smaller flash cards as the need arises. As things are now, 64gb modules would be more than sufficient as games are only now finally hitting the 50gb mark.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Agreed here. I should hope that in the three years it's been since the Vita dropped speeds have increased. I hope that the memory cards are not Vita sized, they should be larger and harder to lose. OG Gameboy cartridge sized memory cards would be phenomenal.

Hopefully with that larger physical size will come some more data access lines. Neo Geo style data access is almost certainly unrealistic in the NX's scenario, but extra lines should help.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What is the manufacturing cost difference between Blu Ray and - for the sake of comparison - an SD card?

Setsuna1982

World Her,
So, this source have a nice track record and those points sound really promising...

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-...ack-record-revealed-megatons-of-info-about-ni

- It has a wireless HDMI dongle that attaches flush to the back of the device. You can pull it out and insert it into any display with a normal sized HDMI output.
- The device uses an evolved version of the Wii U's streaming tech to display in HD on the TV screen.
- Analog controls for movement have small motors in them for full haptic feedback (e.g. if you control a character and hit a wall, the sticks move away from the wall to simulate hitting it)
- Bluetooth synch with tons of devices is supported, including smartphones and tablets.
- You can answer phone calls and display text messages from your phone onto NX screen(s).
- It is closest to the Xbox One in terms of power.
- All tech involved uses the exact same hardware layout as the PS4 and Xbox One
- Any game that can run on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One can easily run on the NX with almost no modifications required. This is even more true if the game runs on Android OS or Unreal Engine 4. One third-party developer said "it's the easiest device we've ever developed for. You just take your code, compile it and it works."
- We should look to Pokémon GO to get an idea of the type of social features that will be in NX.
- It will take multiplayer, AR, and the StreetPass concept to a whole new level.
- The strengths of the device are its usability and ease of use.
- Devs describe it visually and functionally as "as if Samsung and the Nintendo 2DS had a baby."
- It looks friendly, but unlike what most people believe a Nintendo device to typically look like.
- The operating system, named NintendOS, is very powerful and has many modern features of mobile operating systems.
- Nintendo is trying to be very careful in showing it off for fear that it would be mistaken as running Android.
- Very strong networking functions, as it ties into multiple devices and services. This allows for a very competent and pervasive eco-system designed to constantly involve the consumer's life.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
This just in: the NX will use Hucards