Nintendo NX: What you all thinking so far? Possible fail, or Nintendo's game changer?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I don't think the dock idea would work that well, if they took that route; its basically an exit from the console market completely. (Docks in general have not sold well) I think NX is a platform in the same way Android, Windows and iOS are platforms. If they sell a handheld without the docking station, they can use that money to make it more powerful. Then if they make a console that uses the same physical media and software, and sell it with a normal controller, they can make it still affordable and powerful with a low enough price.

The only risk is the handheld competing with the console variant, but since they would run the same software its not a big deal; since most profit comes from software sales.

The thing is they already supposedly have a large surplus of "units" being built as we speak if rumors are to be believed. I wouldn't see the dock costing much as the actual hardware is in the handheld itself, where the dock is nothing more than a charging base with HDMI passthrough/out. The controller could simply be a rebranded pro controller as i doubt they will stick with the WiiU controller tablet.
It was too costly, underutilized by most developers, and came with a pretty low tech screen. IF they do decide to release zelda on it, the only thing it might have as an advantage is the fact that they might actually leverage the wiiU tablet controller in ways it hasn't been done so far. That might even be genius enough to tempt fans to buy it on both platforms.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Any complaints from people holding the sins of the Wii over the WiiU have not played the WiiU. The software is some of the best they've released in a long time. Controller complaints again are by people who haven't put any serious time on the WiiU. The tablet controller despite its size is actually quite comfortable. If you must still find a reason to bitch. The pro controller is perfect. Your only argument and not complaint is that the sticks are parallel and not offset if that's a preference by some.

Coming off the Wii going into the WiiU. I wasn't interested in what Nintendo was selling. Coming off the WiiU. I'm definitely interested in what Nintendo is selling.

At this stage releasing an APU stronger than the PS4 is simple. The only thing they need to work on is the online infrastructure. Single user account, one shop, friends list, etc. A small dev team could put that together in years time. Nintendo has already said they are moving that direction with the underlying OS being the same on the next handheld and console release.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Gotta be a reason why the wiiu has only sold 10 million units, for all the fighting talk it's going to be the big N's worse home console seller (cube shifted 22 million units) even a zelda game won't save it, couple this with an average handheld seller in the 3ds and ninty ain't doing that great
BTW guiltygear a new metroid game would be very cool.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Well considering their last 2 consoles were a real dissapointment IMO I have 0 expectations for the NX

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
As far as complaints about the WiiU go, I guess I'm not any form of the typical audience for video games anymore. I know I'm no longer even close to being the target audience. I can say though, that I've only seen one game on the WiiU that I thought looked like it could be fun to play. As to the controller, well I don't want to hold it. I don't want to use some touch screen crap. I hate touch screens. If I wanted to hold a loaf of bread with thumb sticks I would get an original xbox controller and sit around with that. I know there is the pro controller, but sadly the system doesn't come with one and you're still paying for the big shit monster controller.

So maybe if it was set up where it came with a pro controller and not stupid screen controller I would have more interest. My daughter wanted one and she played it for a very short while before deciding she didn't care for it. She plays her Wii more than the WiiU still. I thought I would give it a go as she wasn't using it and I couldn't stand it.

I've not liked a Nintendo console since SNES. I can't say that I care about their new one. I think most of their properties are quite tired by this point. I've not cared about any zelda game after the one on SNES and not given a shit about a Mario anything since the one with the babies crying, and I turned it off once that shit started.

While I'm at it, I also hate motion controls. I bought a ps3 when the first came out, it was one of the 20gb ones. Anyhow, the game I got was some shooter. Well for some reason, I think maybe the character got set on fire and you had to shake the controller. I said fuck that and quit then sold the system. Years later when the price came down I picked up one of the slim ones with no hdd and put in an old drive I had and have been playing some games on it that looked interesting.

If a game or system isn't going to offer me an experience that I'm really going to enjoy then I've far better things to do than sit and play video games. I'm not interested in average, or decent, games or games to play just to be playing a game. I can use that time painting, or working on some project or another. Also, I've given up on any paying for download content, season pass crap, or anything that I'm not getting a physical do what I want with it copy. The next generation of gaming to me looks very disgusting.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
The thing is they already supposedly have a large surplus of "units" being built as we speak if rumors are to be believed. I wouldn't see the dock costing much as the actual hardware is in the handheld itself, where the dock is nothing more than a charging base with HDMI passthrough/out. The controller could simply be a rebranded pro controller as i doubt they will stick with the WiiU controller tablet.
It was too costly, underutilized by most developers, and came with a pretty low tech screen. IF they do decide to release zelda on it, the only thing it might have as an advantage is the fact that they might actually leverage the wiiU tablet controller in ways it hasn't been done so far. That might even be genius enough to tempt fans to buy it on both platforms.

Nah its cost.

A handheld you can make it scale and look good on lower power due to the small screen. But it will look like shit on a large screen. A docking station either means they must put a 1080p APU more powerful than PS4 in the handheld, or a weaker APU so it will not look good enough on a TV to justify really using the docking station.

Having a handheld and a console unit as separate but same platform means the console can have a larger screen support, and discrete controller because there is no screen.

The handheld can use a smaller screen, hence a weaker APU.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I know that when I was a kid, I would have killed for a controller that could play NES games while mom's was watching TV.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I know that when I was a kid, I would have killed for a controller that could play NES games while mom's was watching TV.

:up: This! But also, I can't tell you how refreshing the lack of voice chat is when playing Nintendo games online. No bullshit headset. No screaming, touretts syndrome. You just play the damn game.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
:up: This! But also, I can't tell you how refreshing the lack of voice chat is when playing Nintendo games online. No bullshit headset. No screaming, touretts syndrome. You just play the damn game.

For those of us with friends who don't waste time trying to interact with the throng of screaming children, this is not a positive.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

How can you play online without being called a N---- F---- at least a few times a night

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
For those of us with friends who don't waste time trying to interact with the throng of screaming children, this is not a positive.

Are you insinuating, mr_b doesn't have friends???

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Be careful with that - games get released buggy as hell and need patches to fix them. Yeah, its great that the entry price point is so low, but once online support goes away for them, a lot of those games may become useless.

Thanks for the warning. The funny thing it's I'm feeling like if I got edf and the kof game, I'd be set. But I get the sentiment, I think that's the nature of things due to physical games being reliant on patches and sooner or later no longer really being available as physical games. I had a conversation about the very thing with a game store employee while picking up a genesis game. Boy I feel old.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Also wanted to add to the vr speculation/talk.
I'm all for it, but two detractors.
First, how does Nintendo preserve a multi player experience with a single player vr experience.
Second, it's personal, but how would you facilitate folks with glasses.
I love the idea of a well done vr Nintendo next gen console.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Nintendo won't do VR. Too costly and doesn't fit the "family appeal" Nintendo strives for.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Agreed, they wont do VR. They would be better off partnering with Oculus or Steam for this tech. That's exactly what M$ did with Oculus. Morpheus is going to drain Sony's finances even further while M$ just makes drivers for streaming to Oculus. VR is also a major strain on GPU. You need to render two screens at 75fps for a seamless VR experience. If it drops you get screen jutter that accelerates VR sickness. The consoles are not powerful enough to do this with their standard games.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I will always buy a Nintendo Console. Usually within 12-24 months of launch.

THen I Might buy either (but not both) a 'Station or 'xbox within the next year (there is no reason important reason for me to own both).

Then get the third system when it hits $100.00.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
At this point in the current-gen of consoles I'm pretty much cemented to Sony, the PS4 and the Vita.

I'm not sure what it'll take for to buy an NX.

I don't think a new Mario or Zelda would do it for me.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Are you insinuating, mr_b doesn't have friends???

Not at all. Saying that not having a functional friend system or any form of group chat is not a secret boon. It's fucking stupid in 2015. Just don't play with random 12-year-olds.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I think one thing Nintendo demonstrated this year is that they struggle to support 2 systems at once. When the 3DS was hitting on all cylinders...the Wii U was abysmal. And when the Wii U finally hit its stride, games for the 3DS totally dried up.

If the NX is a single platform where Nintendo can devote all its resources to consistently making good games, albeit for a single system, then I am all for it.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
And the NX better have amiibo support. Just sayin'....

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Its backwards compatibility will go way back to Big N's Hanafuda. Can't wait to test the... Love Tester. Again, after so many years.

Spoiler:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think some dumbed down headset device from Nintendo makes a ton of sense, it could reach out way beyond what the Occulus can/will/would. I concede that it is unlikely and there are quite a few shortcomings associated with such a direction. but then Nintendo have always made their mark, when they have actually made it, by taking risks, going left-field. I can see it happening, though it probably won't with this iteration of a gaming console.
But I am evermore convinced that headset tech is to a great degree, the future of gaming.