Nintendo NX: What you all thinking so far? Possible fail, or Nintendo's game changer?

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Nintendo is the only company in the gaming business (between Nintendo,Sony,Microsoft) That is strictly a video game company. That could be the reason why they aren't doing so hot right now. Games have evolved, along with the consoles to something well beyond what the NES and SNES were. I feel like Nintendo still has a mindset that as long as "they" make good games then consumers will be there. In a sense that is true. I loved the wii and i enjoy my Wii U more than my ps4. But for the general audience, they want more than just the standard Nintendo fair.

For anything to be successful it has to have a big casual user base, and also appeal to the hardcore audience. Nintendo isn't doing that right now. I hope the NX is able to change it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I was half joking at first, but Nintendo has a way. I didn't see the Wii-splosion happening and it did. I loved the GameCube and N64. What I'm trying to say is this, please make this new system affordable, I don't feel like paying 400 bucks for a Nintendo game playing machine.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I ain't been feeling much love for the big N since the n64 day's, got a cube and a wii but i've never been blown away by anything i've played on them. although i got a soft spot for HOTD overkill on wii.
Handheld gaming was they're last dominant stronghold but mobiles have taken a lot of that market from them, i wonder guy's if they could go the same way as sega, seems unthinkable, but it did for sega back in the megadrive day's.
They're next console release will have to be pretty mint and a good seller, if i was nintendo i'd keep well out of the VR scene, occulus is just one of a hatfull of VR devices close to market, i think that they've missed the boat with that one.

blakfishy

n00b
I have high hopes for it, wiiu is a great console but marketed poorly. Hopefully they will use this as foresight for how to market the nx.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nintendo is the only company in the gaming business (between Nintendo,Sony,Microsoft) That is strictly a video game company. That could be the reason why they aren't doing so hot right now. Games have evolved, along with the consoles to something well beyond what the NES and SNES were. I feel like Nintendo still has a mindset that as long as "they" make good games then consumers will be there. In a sense that is true. I loved the wii and i enjoy my Wii U more than my ps4. But for the general audience, they want more than just the standard Nintendo fair.

For anything to be successful it has to have a big casual user base, and also appeal to the hardcore audience. Nintendo isn't doing that right now. I hope the NX is able to change it.

I disagree with you almost completely.

Nintendo started playing by their own rules with the N64...and that's when things began to fall apart. The N64 had a goofy controller and even more importantly, was cart based. The PS1 creamed the thing in the market because of that.

With the GC/PS2/XBOX era...once again...goofy controller and a dumb mini-disc when everyone else was on to DVD. The really lost that round.

They happened to luck out with the Wii and their motion based control which happened to appeal to non-gaming people...but that wore thin and like non-gaming people, they all returned to not-gaming. The WiiU is a prime example of this. Few that went out to buy the flash-in-the-pan Wii have moved to the WiiU.

A vast majority of gamers want a straight forward, easy to use controller and games...not gimmicky games.

The PS1/2/3/4 were/are successful because of how much they are all like the NES, SNES and Genesis. Good controller, straight forward, traditional games.

I won't deny the add-on's like Blu Ray playback or the console being a media server haven't helped...but players still want games, not gimmicks.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I disagree with you almost completely.

Nintendo started playing by their own rules with the N64...and that's when things began to fall apart. The N64 had a goofy controller and even more importantly, was cart based. The PS1 creamed the thing in the market because of that.

With the GC/PS2/XBOX era...once again...goofy controller and a dumb mini-disc when everyone else was on to DVD. The really lost that round.

They happened to luck out with the Wii and their motion based control which happened to appeal to non-gaming people...but that wore thin and like non-gaming people, they all returned to not-gaming. The WiiU is a prime example of this. Few that went out to buy the flash-in-the-pan Wii have moved to the WiiU.

A vast majority of gamers want a straight forward, easy to use controller and games...not gimmicky games.

The PS1/2/3/4 were/are successful because of how much they are all like the NES, SNES and Genesis. Good controller, straight forward, traditional games.

I won't deny the add-on's like Blu Ray playback or the console being a media server haven't helped...but players still want games, not gimmicks.

I think you are confusing my statement of casual with non-gamer. I know the Wii appealed to a huge non-gamer demographic, but thats not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the difference between a person who buys a console for some sports titles, and what ever triple A title looks hot, and a person who buys a console and actually invest in the console with tons of games because they are good, not just because they are popular.

The Wii U has a ton of good games, it also has games that appeal to some non-gamers, but it doesn't have the casual crowd. It doesn't have the sports titles, and it doesn't have those triple A games (that are usually shit) that appeal to a casual gamer.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
No doubting the fact that the big N has released a few dodgy controllers in it's time also the last one to ditch cart's, so i see where smokehouse is coming from. I reckon if the wii had been a flop ninty would be in a spot of trouble now.
I can't comment on the wiiu as i've never played one, i very rarely see any kind of advertising for it and game release's appear to be few and far between, to me it seemed overpriced and underpowered from the start, but you are talking about a guy who lost interest in the newer consoles after the xbox 360.
For what it's worth i've no interest in the ps4 or the xbone either.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I can't even make it into my bedroom or office with the Wii U remote to play games remotely on it. If the NX is basically just a Wii U with better specs, but all of the guts are in the controller, like rumored, then I'm all for it. I'm totally fine with the pad being the main console and having a receiver at the TV for output. Of course, that also means physical media is likely done, or they're going to 3DS style carts for games (possible, but unlikely).

I'll probably buy one. Not at launch, but I love my Wii U. Only system that gets my time these days.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I can't even make it into my bedroom or office with the Wii U remote to play games remotely on it. If the NX is basically just a Wii U with better specs, but all of the guts are in the controller, like rumored, then I'm all for it. I'm totally fine with the pad being the main console and having a receiver at the TV for output. Of course, that also means physical media is likely done, or they're going to 3DS style carts for games (possible, but unlikely).

I'll probably buy one. Not at launch, but I love my Wii U. Only system that gets my time these days.

I wanna say that the drawing shows it without an optical drive but with a flash ram "cartridge" port....I may be remembering it wrong though.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
No more video game console for me...............tired of new generation gaming

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
You people disappoint me :(

They make ONE platform TWO systems. Similar to the TurboGraphix (this is why I am surprise nobody raised this idea).

CHALLENGES
  • Lack of First Party Capacity to develop HD games for two systems.
  • Japan/US have different tastes (Console vs handheld)
  • Packaging a hybrid would make for a high manufacture cost.

Hence one platform, two systems.

Furthermore, in addition I feel that they should and can make them as powerful if not more than PS4 and XB1.

And, with memory costs being low. They can use flash carts like the 3DS does. So a console system with low loading times, and no installation need.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Unless they market to a different audience, like they did with the Wii, it'll underperform.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I wanna say that the drawing shows it without an optical drive but with a flash ram "cartridge" port....I may be remembering it wrong though.

Just went back and checked it and I was incorrect. The port on the base unit is indeed just a memory card port. From taking a second look at it, it doesn't appear as though the "controller/handheld" has any type of onboard memory. Maybe it is just a glorified upgrade to the U after all. Guess we'll just have to wait till e3.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think it's going to be a true hybrid of their next portable / console. This is what I'm guessing based on what's they've said so far.

There will be a home console aspect for more processing power, but there will be definitely something you can throw in your bag and take on the go. I'm thinking something like an ipad mini with controls that plugs into a WiiU Tablet when you are at home. That way it acts as a mobile tablet/gaming device, and it's your home controller as well. This is what the Vita 3.0 should have been for Sony.

If they name it something with "Wii" in the name, then they are f'n crazy. WiiU was a disaster of a name.

They know they need a better APU to be on par with M$ and Sony. I just don't think it matters at this point. No one is going to play CoD on any Nintendo console even if it is 4k ready and 2x as powerful as PS4.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I don't own a wii U myself but I've always been a fan of Nintendo hardware, I just don't care about their 1st party rehashes that come with each console generation. Some of my all time favorite games are on Nintendo systems (Phoenix wright, puyo pop, castlevania, the sky crawlers, muramasa, final fantasy crystal chronicles, metal gear twin snakes) so I'd love to see more third party support, but they've proven with the wii-u they can basically keep afloat with their own in-house software.

So, since it's new hardware I'm indeed interested.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In case you are wondering how the WiiU is doing, it's sold out at most Targets for the Holiday season.
It's worth every penny right now too.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Didn't buy the Wii U, didn't buy the Wii. Pretty much done with Nintendo and modern gaming in general.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I've always maintained this console is going to be a handheld that docks at home. Let's face it, Nintendo games are what matters, they know this and most of their games don't need the horsepower of the ps4/bone.

Nintendo always has a boner for pushing interaction between their handheld devices and fitness too, I could see them using this as a reason to advertise taking this "console" anywhere in your pocket, while getting more streetpasses/steps/heart rate up etc. They know most amiibo collections are large and would rather people take their consoles out to friends houses rather than lugging around 20+ amiibos everywhere.

What I'm hoping for is that they actually get a decent online experience and interface at launch because they are way out of touch on this front. An all in one console that has parity between handheld and home console is what we need these days. Sony has hemmoraged money with the vita and pstv and Nintendo is poised to learn from that mistake all while ditching an unsucessful platform in the WiiU, and beefing up their DS legacy.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Be careful with that - games get released buggy as hell and need patches to fix them. Yeah, its great that the entry price point is so low, but once online support goes away for them, a lot of those games may become useless.

I used to think that too. Patches will be made and it'll be no different than downloading any other rom.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I've always maintained this console is going to be a handheld that docks at home. Let's face it, Nintendo games are what matters, they know this and most of their games don't need the horsepower of the ps4/bone.

Nintendo always has a boner for pushing interaction between their handheld devices and fitness too, I could see them using this as a reason to advertise taking this "console" anywhere in your pocket, while getting more streetpasses/steps/heart rate up etc. They know most amiibo collections are large and would rather people take their consoles out to friends houses rather than lugging around 20+ amiibos everywhere.

What I'm hoping for is that they actually get a decent online experience and interface at launch because they are way out of touch on this front. An all in one console that has parity between handheld and home console is what we need these days. Sony has hemmoraged money with the vita and pstv and Nintendo is poised to learn from that mistake all while ditching an unsucessful platform in the WiiU, and beefing up their DS legacy.

I don't think the dock idea would work that well, if they took that route; its basically an exit from the console market completely. (Docks in general have not sold well) I think NX is a platform in the same way Android, Windows and iOS are platforms. If they sell a handheld without the docking station, they can use that money to make it more powerful. Then if they make a console that uses the same physical media and software, and sell it with a normal controller, they can make it still affordable and powerful with a low enough price.

The only risk is the handheld competing with the console variant, but since they would run the same software its not a big deal; since most profit comes from software sales.

synbiosfan said:
I used to think that too. Patches will be made and it'll be no different than downloading any other rom.
I think at least in the US, if M$ or Sony shut down the actual servers needed for the patches, and even servers for online play. Legally fans can startup their own servers to get the games working. Not only that but I believe its a requirement now that if they shut down a store, they must release the DRM. (This is why when Sony shut down the reader store, they transferred their content to Kobo)

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
1. Nintendo dominates the handheld market (not counting phones), and they know this. I personally think Nintendo is going to use this to their advantage by ultimately forcing consumers who want their handheld, to buy the console at the same time. I feel they realize at this point that is how they are going to have to get console sales.

While that's great and all, combining your two revenue streams in to one ultimately means you have one less revenue stream. I imagine there are a lot of people out there who buy a 3DS/DS/whatever because it's significantly cheaper than buying their kid an iPad and if you force them to buy a $400 console (which it will have to be at a minimum to be remotely comparable to modern consoles) in order to get the next handheld, a lot of parents might just balk.

2. Zelda is obviously going to be released for the NX, in a Twilight Princess way. I'm not even sure if it will hit the Wii-U. Also, the next Dragon Quest is already announced, which hopefully means it will get some Square-Enix, and other support from JRPG developers.
Getting Dragon Quest games is way less important than it used to be. DQ X sold less than a million copies and was released on multiple systems. It being an MMO certainly didn't help but yeah... not as important as it used to be. Plus DQXI is already coming to PS4 soooo...

1. If it's not compatible with Wii-U games. People are going to be pretty pissed if this thing doesn't play disc based Wii-U games. They're going to be pissed anyway. I was looking today, and the Wii-U has a total of 99 retail games released, in what, 4 years. That's a ridiculous low number. If this does not happen, people might be pretty reluctant to drop down probably $400.00 on a new console.
Backwards compatibility is the most overrated bullshit ever. It's a nice bullet point when you're announcing your system and creates good will for about the first year when people still give a shit to play their old games but after that, it's an egregious waste of time and can potentially hamstring your design choices. Making sure people can play their Wii U games means either a) having to include an optical disc drive and the Wii U's processor or design their new processor to be able to run the Wii U OS (which adds cost and size to your device) or b) building a Wii U emulator so that people can use their digital copies of games (which will piss off people with physical copies and take up a significant amount of development to produce). This doesn't even take in to account the need for connectivity with the Wii U gamepad (because a lot of games won't work without the second screen experience) and having all of the Wii U's patches and digital content available in whatever new store front you build.

People who want to play old games do so using emulators (if they don't give a shit about piracy) or by playing the actual old systems. Spending time, money and resources on making sure people can play the 100 games released on the Wii U on their new system would be a colossal waste.

2. They don't take online gaming seriously. Lets be honest here, one of the big reasons people don't develop for the Wii-U, besides it's less powerful than the other consoles, is that the online sucks. Nintendo needs to get in the game and create a social media interface, with an easy to use account system to locate, and play with friends. Furthermore, we need freaking headsets. This is a key element Nintendo needs to focus on in order to get the sports players, and FPS players. Now I still don't think this will convert the majority of the sports and FPS players. They will most likely go XBOX, or maybe PS4, but it will help to sell the console to the few out there that have a diverse taste in games. I mean, no matter what Nintendo does, Nintendo consoles will always be seen as a console for a younger audience, and those die hard xbox fans are not going to leave.
If Nintendo could build an integrated online experience that is comparable with Sony and Microsoft's offerings (a store worth a damn, easy to connect with friends/strangers, community building that isn't insulting for anyone over the age of 12, not tightly controlling every interaction), it could definitely go a long way. The chances of Nintendo making that big of a pivot and going completely against everything they've stood for the last 30 years? Slim to nil. While I'm sure they'll finally remove friend codes and make a concerted effort to make a storefront that isn't hot garbage, they're still Nintendo. They'll continue to make frustrating, anti-consumer and anti-publisher decisions that will cause most people to continue to ignore them while Nintendo fans make endless excuses.

My greatest concern is that they're going to take the success of Amiibos and use that as a sign of where they need to go next.

I've bought all of the Nintendo consoles over the years but I've spent very little time with any of them since the SNES. I honestly don't even know what it would take for that to happen at this point. Nintendo has been so far off in to the woods for so long, it's difficult to even see a way out. A default controller that plays normal games and an online experience that doesn't actively insult me would be a great start but even then, they would have to heal 20 plus years of completely broken relationships with publishers, developers and the average gamer and I just don't see that level of humility coming from Nintendo.