Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sega Saturn questions

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

Ah, wow, didn't know there was a mouse. I had one for the PSX back in the day and knew about the Saturn keyboard, guess I should've figured they'd have a mouse as well.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Hi mates,

Quote Originally Posted by opt2not View Post
    If you're going to mod it for playing backups, you should consider getting a Rhea and save yourself from burning CD's. It replaces the optical drive with an SD reader so you can boot games off a SD card. It's more reliable, region free, is slightly faster at loading.
    Currently supports CDI, CCD+IMG+SUB, MDS+MDF, and ISO images.
    +1

Un saludo
    AUMAP (Asociación de Usuarios de Máquinas Arcade y Pinballs)

http://www.aumap.org/foro/index.php?action=forum

Supporting
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/

Gai's Trainer

The Rhea/Phoebe are really hard to get, and have a poor interface. You have to put your images in numbered folders and press a button on the device to cycle through the images.

I plan to get a Rhea, but only to stick in a spare Saturn I have. I still think CDs are going to be a better experience.

The Dreamcast version, gdemu, now has a nice UI and is more friendly.
    Slug 2 > Slug X

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

I picked up a combo from someone a while back that had a Saturn Mouse and a copy of Command and Conquer, which should have been awesome. Except, the game doesn't use the mouse. Oops.

Sakura's Bank Manager

Quote Originally Posted by city41 View Post
    The Rhea/Phoebe are really hard to get, and have a poor interface. You have to put your images in numbered folders and press a button on the device to cycle through the images.

I plan to get a Rhea, but only to stick in a spare Saturn I have. I still think CDs are going to be a better experience.

The Dreamcast version, gdemu, now has a nice UI and is more friendly.
    I used to be like you and thought CD's were the way to go, but after getting Rhea, I've changed my tune. Having multiple SD cards for different games and genres is the right way to go with this set-up, takes less time than burning CD's (CDR's are getting harder to source for cheap these days anyway). And the concerns of pressing a small button to change games is still better than having to swap out discs. Besides a UI like the gdemu will eventually happen, the creator has stated this in the past.

Fio's Quartermaster

I really want to order a Rhea and try it out but orders are closed until February. Guess I will have to wait a bit. I'm really eager to see what it can do.

地獄への道は、ネオジオカートリッジで舗装されています...

Gai's Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by opt2not View Post
    I used to be like you and thought CD's were the way to go, but after getting Rhea, I've changed my tune. Having multiple SD cards for different games and genres is the right way to go with this set-up, takes less time than burning CD's (CDR's are getting harder to source for cheap these days anyway). And the concerns of pressing a small button to change games is still better than having to swap out discs. Besides a UI like the gdemu will eventually happen, the creator has stated this in the past.
    That's good to hear. I understood the creator said making a UI interface for the Rhea would be very difficult, but crossing my fingers he figures it out.
    Slug 2 > Slug X

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

I guess it boils down to how many games you plan to play. Most Saturn games are cheap so worth buying. The rare ones can be burned. The SD device is so expensive installed that for most people that want to just play a dozen good Saturn games it doesn't make so much sense. Unlike the PS-IO that still allows you to play PS1 games, these solutions remove the systems ability from playing CDs. Not a good thing for me personally. To each their own.

Yeah that Rhea is still a wonky setup, forget it. I'm happy with the mod chip, however over time I've gotten all the games I really want, I do have way more booties than real copies but the truth is that there's only a few more games I may get but the price tag on them is awful, mind as well keep playing the booties...

Gai's Trainer

I can't imagine only having a Rhea Saturn. If Rhea interests you, Saturns are really cheap. Especially ones with dead/dying CD drives.

I think I'll always want the option of playing my real CDs.
    Slug 2 > Slug X

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

Doesn't look like Warcraft II supports the mouse: http://segaretro.org/Shuttle_Mouse
    Also here: http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com...t-ii-on-saturn

I just scooped one on Ebay for $20 shipped w/box, will be cool to try it out with Virtua Cop.

Morden's Lackey

Crossed Swords Squire
    Psuedo saturn for AR is getting update where Panzer dragoon saga will work with it. Currently, PDS doesn't work with psuedo saturn unless you update it. Other than that, pretty much every game I have works with AR. The rhea sounds nice but i'm waiting until that matures a little bit and easier to come by but I need a spare saturn to install it. I don't want to ruin my minty fresh White Sega Saturn.
    "Drugs and alcohol have RUINED my life"
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Great people I have dealt with: Big Bear, Buttasuperb, Abdul, B.I.G.PSYCHE, 300wins, RacerX, Darklighterx, Highlander67, Matt, Omegagouki, Dinodoedoe, 2point0, Daigo, Devilman78, Eldios, Insaneclown, twodeepuzzler, norton9478, Liquid Snake, Ghost-dog, Jindo, Robert Wallace, RockHoward, Galfordo, Shiro, 16-bit, Neogeo2k2, Terry330, BAOBOY, D-Lite, GMW, Subbie, Sundance, Subcons, Oceanfrr.

Sakura's Bank Manager

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Nice!

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces

This is a good thing to have when the CD drive finally goes on my Saturn. The money made from the sale of the games would pay for this, I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Xorthen was on my case for a few days via PM (and then some) offering to pay me $20 just to talk on the phone with me for an hour, but he chickened out or something and then decided to be an asshole in public towards me
    LOL.. Get rekt, lonely boy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

The CD drive in a Saturn uses a common pickup that is still sold today. Only $20 new from eBay. These things will be around forever.

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by leonk View Post
    The CD drive in a Saturn uses a common pickup that is still sold today. Only $20 new from eBay. These things will be around forever.
    But will high-quality CD-Rs? I actually don't think that most people get a Rhea to future-proof the Saturn, although that is a big side benefit of having it.

Gai's Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by leonk View Post
    If you have an American Saturn with a JVC drive. Japanese Saturns with Sanyo drives are unfixable as far as I know (would love to be wrong).
    Slug 2 > Slug X

Thread Information