Wii u external hard drive

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Anyone have experience using an external hard drive on the Wii U that does not use A/C power. Its recommened by Nintendo to use an HDD that uses A/C as its power source, but can i get away without it?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Get a Sandisk Cruzer Fit, you can get a 128 GB one for $30.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Buy physical.
I've had my Wii u since launch day and have lots games. Never need to bother external drive.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
@liquidsnak. why do you assume i buy digital games because i need more space? The only digital game i have is wii u play, which was a free download.

Anyway........ i found a 32 gb flash drive for $7. Its a sandisk cruzer like Neorebel recommened. Ill post my results later

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Buy physical.
I've had my Wii u since launch day and have lots games. Never need to bother external drive.

Fatal Frame is huge and a couple of retail games were given away for free as part of the Club Nintendo final rewards. That alone warrants the need for more space. Plus the DLC these days is getting sizable believe it or not.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The flash drive i picked up is working fine. Good thing i got it now. The xenoblade game packs are 10 gigs

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I have a 64GB flash drive in the back of my Wii U and it works perfectly. When I first bought the Wii U I had a small WD portable drive, but sure enough, without external power it wasn't always available and caused some problems with drive not being found, or updates getting put on the wrong storage. Only a few games seemed to be sticklers. Mario Kart was one, but figured I'd just try it with a thumb drive before wiring in more power and everything worked perfect.

So, if you're going the portable hard drive route, wire it to external power or use the Y adapter. Otherwise, a good size flash drive should work flawlessly without external power.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

He's not really wrong. I usually buy physical media when I can but I also buy digital as well. I've still not come close to tapping out the Wii U's HD space myself but I would still consider an external HDD.