Retro Freak Sytem "Mini Review"

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Fake-ception!

the lack of NES is what kills it for me. I use the retron 5 for my NES games and love it, and would have loved to use them on this. The addition of the hucards is very tempting, but no point if i'm giving up one hd version of a system for another. Maybe if they patch it or update the hardware for NES, i'd replace my retron 5 in a heartbeat.

Also, does this do save states like the retron 5 does?

Yes you can save and load a state once the game loads, not sure how it compares to the retron 5. Right now mine is set to immediately pick up where I was last at when I go to load a game, from the options you are able to restart the game if you want.

Also I purchased a 16 gb micro sd card and when I loaded Aerofighters again it asked me if I would like to download the game to my micro sd card. I downloaded the game to the card which took literally two seconds, and it immediately went into my SFC folder.

I am also disappointed with the lack of NES support but I'm going to keep messing with the converter, and again I'm happy with PC Engine support.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes you can save and load a state once the game loads, not sure how it compares to the retron 5. Right now mine is set to immediately pick up where I was last at when I go to load a game, from the options you are able to restart the game if you want.

Also I purchased a 16 gb micro sd card and when I loaded Aerofighters again it asked me if I would like to download the game to my micro sd card. I downloaded the game to the card which took literally two seconds, and it immediately went into my SFC folder.

I am also disappointed with the lack of NES support but I'm going to keep messing with the converter, and again I'm happy with PC Engine support.

What kind of converter are you using?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
What kind of converter are you using?

I dunno I got it free years ago when I worked at a game store. I got this and a converter going in the other direction at the same time which I have used before that works fine. I've never had a famicom to test in on, but here it is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Also if anyone cares I did find the option to play monochrome GB games in color with the GameboySP option or any monochrome shade you'd like.

hermosaguy

Geese's Thug
Thanks for the info, hopefully mine gets here soon. Based on what you said, I think I'll enjoy it! :D

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Try not pushing the NES cart with adapter all the way in. Like, push it in, then back it out a hair. That looks like the Yobo adapter, and they have a hard time working on AV Famicoms as well, the pins are so short on the Fami side that the system doesn't make good contact. I actually cut some foam tape and inserted it in the bottom so that it doesn't get pushed down in the slot all the way.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Try not pushing the NES cart with adapter all the way in. Like, push it in, then back it out a hair. That looks like the Yobo adapter, and they have a hard time working on AV Famicoms as well, the pins are so short on the Fami side that the system doesn't make good contact. I actually cut some foam tape and inserted it in the bottom so that it doesn't get pushed down in the slot all the way.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot, it doesn't even read the game so maybe that will be the case. It seems like it makes quite a grip when it goes in but I'll try, I have to do that with my ARCADE converter on my Neo to get the MVS games to work. Again this is my first experience going from NES to Famicom.

Also, I have run into my first possible compatibility issue trying to load a Genesis copy of Ghouls and Ghosts onto the microSD card or boot it from the cartridge slot. The system wouldn't recognize the game (this is the second Capcom game to do that oddly enough, but it loaded and downloaded Super Puzzle Fighter on the GBA fine it just says unknown game but it has a screen shot for the game so I know what it is anyway), and when I tried to load it I got a red screen. I don't have many dupes of games, but I do happen to have another copy of this (this copy has a bad scratched label that is why I got a complete one), I'll try to dig that one out and see if it works.

When I loaded my copy of Rambo III onto the system I got the Japanese version instead of the English one, very minor issue, that is the only one I've seen so far to do this.

The microSD card has an adaptor that I believe fits my laptop, so I may experiment downloading a rom to the card and trying to load it onto the system.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info, hopefully mine gets here soon. Based on what you said, I think I'll enjoy it! :D

I hope you like it! I understand it won't be for everyone, especially the shrewd NEO-GEO.com members here, but I like mine so far so good.

BTW did you get the one with the controller adaptors? Can you report on these when they come in? I just ended up ordering a USB NES controller off of Amazon for like $10. I think I am going to try my NEO GEO X stick on this as well to see if it works.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I was wondering since i have quite a few for the genesis&snes.Which is why i never bought a retron5 since i heard it had a problem playing those.

I think that is the only repro I have and I'm glad it works. I am disappointed that the Famicom multicart didn't work, I think I have another one of those somewhere to test out.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Anyone having trouble ordering from Nin-Nin-Game? I placed my order on Friday, and then Monday I get an e-mail saying they need a scan of my drivers license or passport and scan of a utility bill to verify my address and the order is legit. Seems shady as fuck to me, but quite a few people have said its a reputable site, so I sent the info. As of this morning, my order still shows "payment accepted" and the transaction still shows processing on my bank account. I've sent two e-mails and no response yet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some Genesis games will the rom for whichever region system you have. Like Streets of Rage will give you the Bare Knuckle title screen if played in a Japanese system. I bet that's what's happening with Rambo.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Some Genesis games will the rom for whichever region system you have. Like Streets of Rage will give you the Bare Knuckle title screen if played in a Japanese system. I bet that's what's happening with Rambo.

You're probably right.

You can make the region Japan, US, and maybe Europe. I have mine set on auto. I'll try forcing it into US mode and see what I get.

Now I'm curious to try Streets of Rage 1 and 2 to see what I get!

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Anyone having trouble ordering from Nin-Nin-Game? I placed my order on Friday, and then Monday I get an e-mail saying they need a scan of my drivers license or passport and scan of a utility bill to verify my address and the order is legit. Seems shady as fuck to me, but quite a few people have said its a reputable site, so I sent the info. As of this morning, my order still shows "payment accepted" and the transaction still shows processing on my bank account. I've sent two e-mails and no response yet.

I'm sorry you have issues that sounds mighty shady indeed. I had no problems with them, I paid with PayPal and they shipped it that day. That was my first and honestly probably last time dealing with them not to say that it wasn't positive all around.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Yep changing the region to USA from auto fixed it, I should have messed with it before posting, thanks again. I tried Streets of Rage 2 and when I changed that to Japan I got "this may only be played in North and South America."

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

I actually did not know this. I was under the impression that only Neo games had all regions of ROMs on the carts.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza

The Daimakaimura logo was pretty badass on Ghouls N Ghosts. Hot swapping carts also changed regions on the ol' Model 1's.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Just played Sunset Riders with a friend using my PS3 controller, no issues, when I went to controller options it recognized it as a PS3 controller, I couldn't work the select options, but I think I can adjust that with mapping.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The Daimakaimura logo was pretty badass on Ghouls N Ghosts. Hot swapping carts also changed regions on the ol' Model 1's.

I still need to load my other copy to see if it will work, today I've been downloading snes games.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Loaded my entire 16 bit/ GB library on it last night, it recognized all snes games, all turbo PCE games, all gb games, it loaded but did not recognize super puzzle fighter for GBA, the repo of Battlemania 2, and Frogger for the Genesis for some reason. The games that didn't work at all were: two different fami multicarts, NBA Jam TE for the Genesis for some reason, and I tried and it fit but wouldn't load Tempo for the 32X.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I've found several chinese gaming sites giving high praise about this system. Sounds fun and interesting to me.....maybe i'll grab one in the near future.