Retro Freak Sytem "Mini Review"

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
So I came across IsamuBlue's WTB a Retro freak system thread on Friday and said "what's that," and proceeded to do some online research, and did not have too much luck finding Youtube English reviews, nor many reviews at all, Japanese included. I usually don't say "what the hell, I'll order this" without doing some research, but I decided to give this a chance, I was toying with the idea of getting a Retron 5 to condense many of my systems into one all purpose system to play on my HD TV despite some of the negative reviews, but then when I saw this I was sold on the pc engine, supergrafx, and turbografx support this unit has.

Here is IsamuBlue's thread on this, and thank you for making me aware of this :buttrock::

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...sole-with-controller-adapter&referrerid=13277

I decided to buy the standard edition and not the premium edition with controller support that was about $30-$40 more. I figured I'll either buy the controller adaptor later, or give one of those SNES usb controllers a try off of Ebay or Amazon. The included controller didn't look bad and the one English unboxing I saw said it was pretty good, it reminds me of the Wii Classic Controller which I don't mind using with my WiiU.

So I ordered this from Nin Nin Games on Friday and it arrived this morning via Fed Ex.

The unit itself came packed in small box with the system with removable "guts," a 2 ft HDMI cable, a 100-200v AC adaptor, the controller, and a Japanese ad for the MK II Game Gear Adaptor coming I believe in February.

The system itself reminds me of a second generation SNES system, the "guts" of the system is removable which has two usb slots for controllers in the front, the power connection, the hdmi port, the micro sd slot, and the power button. You can load roms on this, remove this, and play games off of this. The "cartridge slot" portion has a PC Engine/ Turbografx slot, a Genesis/ Megadrive slot, a Snes/SFC slot, and a Famicom slot. The "cartridge slot" portion also has three usb controller ports in the front.

I connected the system via HDMI to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver and hit the power button. I had to hold the button to get it to boot, once it booted a light lit up on the CS portion and booted to the Retro freak screen, and from there to the language settings with English as the second choice down. Then I got the license agreement, and finally it asked me to calibrate my screen size and then recommended I set my HDTV to game mode.

From there the system screen reminds me of an interface you would see on the wii, the system has 3.2 gb of internal memory and has a section for the microSD card and characters for the different systems the Retro freak supports for the purpose of saving and loading games or roms from the microSD card (I will have to look for a microSD card to give this feature a try). The bottom right corner has a section for system, power off, and a manual all in Japanese.

So from there I inserted a bootleg Famicom multicart, no luck. Next I grabbed one of those weird Interplay Genesis carts of Star Control to give it a shot. The system loaded the cartridge quickly. recognized this as a Megadrive game, and booted up. My receiver dropped the signal (it only did it this initial time), and then the Interplay logo came up.

After trying the game whichbooted up in 4:3 and the controller (no problems) I hit the option screen. The option screen has a section for video (aspect ratio, image filter [I set this on Super 2xSal], scanlines (more on that later), original resolution, screen refresh rate, screen size, full range HDMI, the audio section has sound enhancement on/off, bass and treble boost, volume, and GUI sound effects. There is also an option to save the state and take a picture of the screen. I personally do not like using scanlines with Mame, but I did set this on and I seemed to get some flickering on the screen so I set this off again.

Next I tried Ninja Spirit for the turbografx, it recognized this as a PC Engine game and booted up. All of the text with this and all English games came up in English. The game played fine. Next I tried Power Drift for the PC Engine which has a lot of different scaling and had no problems.

Neither the Genny nor the PC Engine/Turbografx games had any problems with the "grip of death." Next I tried Power Instinct for the SNES and experienced the "grip of death" trying to take the game out. It wasn't too bad, but it was definitely there. I had no problem having the controller and system recognize quarter circles and I did not perceive any delay (btw you can do controller button mapping as well). Next I tried my Famicom copy of Lum No Wedding Bell, and again experienced an even tighter grip of death. Lum No Wedding took a few times to get it to recognize and then boot, but that could be more of a dirty cart than a problem with the system.

Lastly, I tried a NES to Famicom converter I have and had no luck getting the system to recognize my copy of Pro Wrestling , which I tried inserting a few different times, the converter and the game.

I did not try a SFC or Mega Drive game but I would imagine if the US SNES and Genny games worked the SFC and Mega Drive games should have no problem. If I do have any issues with these once I dig some carts out I will post later.

I've had no problems with the limited time I spent with the system, I am a little wary of the "grip of death," but so far so good. I have no idea how to update the system since everything is in Japanese, but my thoughts are that it updates via the microSD card.

If anyone has any further questions I can answer I will try, I know in the previous thread someone asked about Everdrives and this. I do not have an Everdrive, but if I get my hands on one I will be sure to give it a shot. Here are images from the system.

IMG_0060.JPGIMG_0061.JPGIMG_0062.JPGIMG_0063.JPGIMG_0064.JPGIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0067.JPGIMG_0068.JPGIMG_0069.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Thanks for the write-up. So it can boot roms via the SD card? If so, I don't see any need to use an EverDrive with it.

Scanlines and HDMI output should make this a really nice system to travel with.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the write-up. So it can boot roms via the SD card? If so, I don't see any need to use an EverDrive with it.

Scanlines and HDMI output should make this a really nice system to travel with.

Correct you can load roms and the cart directly to the microSd card as well

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You can boot roms from the SD on the Retron 5 now.

The grip of death is actually a good thing. This was a common complaint with the Retron 5 as well, but it's designed this way for a reason. These games are old dusty crusty junk. They need to make that connection tight or they will be getting complaints about having to blow on carts. It wont hurt your games. As a company, would you rather have people complain about tight pins or poor connections? I'd choose tight pins if I was a designer.

It one ups the Retron with PCE support. Build quality isn't anything special though. Someone will eventually get the board and OS and break that down.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
very cool and useful review. the system looks cool but kinda bland as well. love the fact that they included a hucard port.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Am I correct in seeing that this does not have an option for US NES games?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
very cool and useful review. the system looks cool but kinda bland as well. love the fact that they included a hucard port.

That was the selling point for me, I love my pc engine, I do not have any supergrafx games but that support was a plus for me as well.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
You can boot roms from the SD on the Retron 5 now.

The grip of death is actually a good thing. This was a common complaint with the Retron 5 as well, but it's designed this way for a reason. These games are old dusty crusty junk. They need to make that connection tight or they will be getting complaints about having to blow on carts. It wont hurt your games. As a company, would you rather have people complain about tight pins or poor connections? I'd choose tight pins if I was a designer.

It one ups the Retron with PCE support. Build quality isn't anything special though. Someone will eventually get the board and OS and break that down.

I agree but it is a pain in the a#%@ getting a game out, I feel like I may rip the damn pins out.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Am I correct in seeing that this does not have an option for US NES games?

Yup.
Hope they do a neo/cps 1/2 and basic Mame update.
Or somebody else does for it.
Menu looks nice IMO.

Hows the sound?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I wonder how much is software emulation, and if any of it is hardware emulation.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Yup.
Hope they do a neo/cps 1/2 and basic Mame update.
Or somebody else does for it.
Menu looks nice IMO.

Hows the sound?

I like it so far, I have the sound enhancement, treble and bass boost on and am liking it. I'm not an audiophile, I have my receiver going from pcm 2.0 to all channel 7.1 with this, I'm getting a nice deep bass sound with aerofighters snes explosion effects from my center and floor standing left and rights from what I hear and sounds coming from my rears with my sub currently off.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I also want to point out that the system makes a "loading sound" when you are playing a game, almost sounds like it's reading a cd.

I tried Donkey Kong for the game boy and the color version popped right up

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Excellent write up. Thanks! Good to know about loading roms from the microSD slot. Looks like a cool unit to have if you don't already have the legacy consoles.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I also just tried a gb copy of Burgertime that loaded in monochrome with no other options, and a gba version of super puzzle fighter that the machine didn't recognize but I had the option to load anyway which it did no problem. It did crash when I tried to put scan lines on but rebooted no problem.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Excellent write up. Thanks! Good to know about loading roms from the microSD slot. Looks like a cool unit to have if you don't already have the legacy consoles.

No problem! I honestly have the legacy consoles except for a gb or gb color, but again I love to go from a snes, Pc engine, Genesis (although I may leave my cdx hooked up), turbografx to one all purpose system.

Now if someone could do a Saturn/ PSX/ N64 hybrid : p I would be even more happy

Last edited:

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
That was the selling point for me, I love my pc engine, I do not have any supergrafx games but that support was a plus for me as well.

that would most likely be a selling point for me as well and will really make me consider getting one to bring at game nights!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Does the retro freak play reproductions or even homebrew ?

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Whilst I'm tempted, I think I'll wait for a revision.

I wonder if they'll include a CD ROM drive in the future.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Does the retro freak play reproductions or even homebrew ?

Yes I can confirm my repro of Battlemania II worked this morning, it did not recognize the game, but it asked if I wanted to boot anyway.

IMG_0078.JPGIMG_0084.JPG

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Fake games on fake system?!

Fake-ception!

the lack of NES is what kills it for me. I use the retron 5 for my NES games and love it, and would have loved to use them on this. The addition of the hucards is very tempting, but no point if i'm giving up one hd version of a system for another. Maybe if they patch it or update the hardware for NES, i'd replace my retron 5 in a heartbeat.

Also, does this do save states like the retron 5 does?