Sega Nomad

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I remember having one of these back in the days and liking it but ended up selling it for whatever reason. After all these years I discover that they do screen and battery mods to these unit's which makes me want one again. I suck at soldering and modding shit and would like to know who does the battery mods on these units. Anyone offering a service? I know this guy Hellrazer was doing them for awhile but I don't think he does them anymore.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I'm stupid for selling my Nomad I really loved that hand held oh well.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
My buddy picked one up when we were kids, after awhile he got bored of it and I bought it from him for ten bucks with the battery pack. Still have it to this day. Love the Nomad.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I picked up another one about 2 weeks ago.

My last Nomad (that I sold off like an idiot) had a much better screen than this one. I'm thinking that the capacitors need to be replaced, because the brightness is a little "off" - it's either too bright, or too dark. The sound is loud as shit tho.

I read about the SMS mod and it seems to be very simple.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a Nomad that I bought new back when they still sold them in EB. It really needs a cap change too. I've got a spare screen that I had intended for use in a Game Gear, but I'm tempted to recap the nomad, install the screen into it and enable SMS mode. Decisions...

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I picked up another one about 2 weeks ago.

My last Nomad (that I sold off like an idiot) had a much better screen than this one. I'm thinking that the capacitors need to be replaced, because the brightness is a little "off" - it's either too bright, or too dark. The sound is loud as shit tho.

I read about the SMS mod and it seems to be very simple.

Do the LCD mod while you're at it. It's dead simple and looks amazing.
And if you have a Mega Everdrive or X7 or want to play that one X-men game, put a switch on the reset line of the cart connector so you can actually save the game (or beat the game, in the case of Xmen)

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a Nomad that I bought new back when they still sold them in EB. It really needs a cap change too. I've got a spare screen that I had intended for use in a Game Gear, but I'm tempted to recap the nomad, install the screen into it and enable SMS mode. Decisions...

Fuck it. Ordered a cap kit and a glass screen.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Of course. I'm too lazy to piece together cap kits from Mouser these days.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I got that one. I'm not super confident in my ability to solder on the SMD caps by hand.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Guys, do the lcd mod while your at it. Picture looks amazing and it will give you better battery life compared to the old washed out screens.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm planning on it, I have an extra screen that I never used in my toolbox.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I have a Nomad stored in my garage. I'm going to have to locate it and see if it still works.

I remember keeping it under my pillow, and would play it in order to fall asleep. If I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall asleep I'd play SFII until I was too tired to play.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have a Nomad. I bought it for $5. Have never used it, will never use and will never sell it. #ShelfLife

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
My all time favourite handheld console...

Did some recap a year ago ( on the nomad and on my jap gamegear)
The nomad plays all my pal games+ us games + most of my jap games , the jap cartridge does fit on the nomad without the need of an adaptor. ( little fishy, but it fits)

Only some jap later games don't work, but there's a. Region mod that I should be doing on the near future for it...

My LCD after recap, is a bit better ( was very washed out)
But still the original LCD is very bad...
I've checking several LCDs to do the mod, still confused about what should o choose...
Some are very "bright " , others have that annoying "av1" , etc

Cheers

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, my lcd modded nomad is super bright as well, but it's a bright picture that looks a hundred times better than the original washed out screen.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yea, my lcd modded nomad is super bright as well, but it's a bright picture that looks a hundred times better than the original washed out screen.

Sure .
Had you tried putting a 75ohm resistor on the video line?
It should help
Cheers

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Sure .
Had you tried putting a 75ohm resistor on the video line?
It should help
Cheers

I prefer a nice bright picture. Ive seen lcd mods that come with a remote control for the lcd and you could change the contrast and bright settings via remote. I spoke to another guy in the UK who is working on a way of getting the brightness knob on the bottom to work with new lcd screens.

Last edited:

nornor1

NEST Puppet
anyone have a good Tutorial how to install the new screen?

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
anyone have a good Tutorial how to install the new screen?

My nomad's default screen ruptured after all these years and finally needed to be replaced earlier this year. This is the tutorial I used:

Sega Nomad LCD screen upgrade

It's a pretty easy process. Be sure to follow the step regarding the jumper wire to avoid display flickering.

I was bummed to see the original screen go, but it is nice to not have the motion blur anymore. It makes a big deal for shoot em ups on the system.

Sorry my camera sucks and the photo doesn't do it any justice, but here's the one I did. Lining up the screen just right and securing it in place was the most annoying part in the process imho. I just wanted to show that the screen replacement doesn't look "out of place" which is what I was initially worried about.

sega nomad lcd screen w ff2.JPG

Cheers.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Screen that's recommended is "temporarily sold out".

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My nomad's default screen ruptured after all these years and finally needed to be replaced earlier this year. This is the tutorial I used:

Sega Nomad LCD screen upgrade

It's a pretty easy process. Be sure to follow the step regarding the jumper wire to avoid display flickering.

I was bummed to see the original screen go, but it is nice to not have the motion blur anymore. It makes a big deal for shoot em ups on the system.

Sorry my camera sucks and the photo doesn't do it any justice, but here's the one I did. Lining up the screen just right and securing it in place was the most annoying part in the process imho. I just wanted to show that the screen replacement doesn't look "out of place" which is what I was initially worried about.

View attachment 41388

Cheers.

The Border on mine cut's a little off the top of the screen. Does your lcd upgrade display the whole screen?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The Border on mine cut's a little off the top of the screen. Does your lcd upgrade display the whole screen?

The whole screen is displayed with no cutoff, but getting it aligned just right with the default bezel was annoying especially since the unit has a slanted presentation to begin with.