Sega Nomad

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I've been looking for someone reputable to mod my Nomad. Any recommendations?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
This type is a sharper picture and supposedly uses less power, but has no brightness/contrast controls.

Or you can remove the screen from one like this, which has controls but is a bit blurrier. I have two modded Nomads, one with each type of screen. I prefer the no-controls type personally.

The best with that second one, I had one where the screen controls would constantly be pressed hard if you hit the buttons too hard, so the AV video would change... such a pain in the ass. I think I found one over at DX.com that works well too.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
It's really not a hard mod to do. The hardest part is getting the screen aligned and keeping dust out of it.

All you need is a cheap soldering iron, a razor blade or scissors, painter's tape and a hot glue gun.
Remove the existing screen and cut the cable with the razor/scissors, then you just solder 4 wires to 4 easily accessible points on the board and arrange the screen in place properly and glue it in place.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
The best with that second one, I had one where the screen controls would constantly be pressed hard if you hit the buttons too hard, so the AV video would change... such a pain in the ass. I think I found one over at DX.com that works well too.
The first type doesn't have any controls, so there is no way you can change the AV mode. Its video quality is sharper as well.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I had an adafruit 3.5" screen ready to drop in tonight and just realized I didn't have the right size for the security screw. Plus none of my bits are long enough. blah, off to check ebay for something cheap.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Just received my nomad - pretty damn nice system actually. Really like the dpad - buttons are a little clicky though. Screen isn't as shit as I'd feared, but it's definitely not great.

Didn't get a batteryback with it, so currently tethered to wall socket, unfortunately.

Will be fun to mod this beast!

fluxcore

Another Striker

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
The Nomad is one of my favorite hand helds but I sold it 2 years ago I think .
I have no intention in getting one again i but if you come across one you should grab it .

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I convinced my parents to get me one as a kid. I loved it but now I can't play it because of the screen ghosting. It doesn't just make it annoying - it makes it pretty much unplayable.

Do the screen replacements fit the Nomad exactly - as in, are the screen measurements / ratio exactly the same? Or is part of the replacement screen obscured by the chassis?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Do the screen replacements fit the Nomad exactly - as in, are the screen measurements / ratio exactly the same? Or is part of the replacement screen obscured by the chassis?

I bought mine with the screen already upgraded a couple of weeks ago and it look's a perfect fit to me

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I really like my Nomad but you need to be careful when setting it down. The contrast wheel on bottom of the unit sticks out a bit and if you set it down a bit to forcefully it can break right off, and good luck sourcing a replacement.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The Nomad is one of my favorite hand helds but I sold it 2 years ago I think .
I have no intention in getting one again i but if you come across one you should grab it .

If it was such a favorite handheld, why'd you get rid of it?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I bought mine with the screen already upgraded a couple of weeks ago and it look's a perfect fit to me

Cool - any chance you could post a photo?

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
one of the few sega consoles if not the only one i've not owned i've wanted one and this was a helpful discussion thanks

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Yeah, I finally modded my screen a few months ago. It's great. Now just need more time to game.. stupid projects in the way. HAHA.. Maybe I should start a new game of Phantasy Star 2 or 4. hmmm..

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
4. Definitely 4. 2 was the best game that I never want to play again.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
My friend who is not on the boards has one, but it doesn't have the battery pack. What's it worth?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't understand the screen hate.
Same here, have a nomad since they came out, played it for years, Super SF all day, just loved it. Excited to hear you can upgrade the screen but not rushing to do it, I've played with this screen forever and it has served me well.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I didn't hate it, but the picture was pretty washed out on mine. And I also had just been playing with my GBA that I modded. Really hard to go back to the old handheld screens after using a GBA with a screen mod.

Plus my Nomad screen cover was all scratched up. So dropped in a new screen and added a replacement cover... Nice bright clean screen. very happy.

Genki

n00b
I may be picking up Nomad someday, and I was wondering if SMS adapter or Everdrive with SMS ROMs works with it?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
SMS adapter works, but you need to solder a wire from the ASIC to the cart slot first.
Same for Everdrive, but you also need to mod in a reset switch, or else the SMS games won't save data, as the everdrive only writes saves to the SD card on a reset.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
My friend says he doesn't want his, so I'll wait a few checks and buy it off him. I'd love to play a game of Shadowrun.