Sega Nomad

nornor1

NEST Puppet
@BlackaneseNiNjA, that is pretty damn sweet right there. I bought from this seller, but something happened and they refunded the $$$. went with another seller, still waiting for it to come in. is there any differences on that Adafruit lcd?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
man... if Nomads weren't so expensive I'd definitely get one... a genesis to play on the train would be a dream come true.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
man... if Nomads weren't so expensive I'd definitely get one... a genesis to play on the train would be a dream come true.

The lcd modded nomads are kind of pricey but a standard nomad could be purchased for under $100.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
You're right they can be had at a not too bad of a price, but if you're not capable of doing that level of soldering work (I'm not) it kind of prices you out unless you know someone who will do the job as a favor free/cheap. Enough of those finished systems on ebay know where to put it as to make it convenient enough to move annoyingly.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Here's a better screenshot of the modded nomad using sonic 2 for guide photo and display comparison. With the lcd display I used, the top and bottom of the full image is visible and not cutoff at all. Choosing the right screen really does make big difference (no "av 1" display text, etc). Even though my photos don't really show it, the image quality and elimination of motion blur makes the project completely worth it imho.

sonic 2 nomad screen.JPG

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Big fan of the nomad. Really a cool name for the system if you think about it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Illuminati
nomad-original-thechangeling.jpg

MAYAman

n00b
Anyone with a 3D printer want to print a new Nomad housing with 6 inch screen?

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I had a modded Nomad for a while and I wasn't a huge fan. I ended up keeping my new backup model which had the original screen. I love the fact that the new screen colors and contrast are improved and that the ghosting is gone, but the image just seemed to have bleeding colors and a softer picture. Maybe it's because the screen mod taps into composite. Too bad there are no alternative methods to retain that sharp image the original screen had. I like a soft picture on a crt but on an lcd not so much. Still I guess for most people the mod is an improvement over the original screen.

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Screen mod taps into composite? Not good.
What about scanlines on those LCD screens? I guess there are no scanlines what so ever...
Is aspect ratio maintained?