Anyone near San Antonio, Texas?

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I am going to travel to San Antonio and stay in a hotel there between January 26th - February 2nd 2016.

I was wondering if there is anyone here that would possibly want to meet up and/or just help me get from airport to hotel (San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter) and in general give me tips on how to get around the city. Like should I rent a car or are the taxi services good around there?

My main purpose for the trip is the Pax South event but I´m also looking for ideas what else to do during the week there. What to see, where to eat and also is there anything retro gaming / arcade related to see over there :)

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
San Antonio is fun, go hang around downtown for a day and get those cinnamon rolls that are the size of your head. Alamo is always a good sight. Get a car, as the city is broad enough and you could probably stop by San Marcos or Austin since they are so close.

Also, whataburger. I know its fast food, but goddamn do I miss it.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Will definitely try both whataburgert and in-n-out burger. What, if any pizza places should I check?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If you have the capacity and people, big Lou's pizza is awesome.

Heartkill

n00b
I went to PAX South last year and it was a good time. Looks like I missed the 3-day passes so I'll be going Friday and Saturday. If you get a rental car it's very easy to navigate the city.

If you like BBQ, find a Rudy's. Avoid Bill Miller's at all costs. Big Lou's is good but bring your appetite or a crew. I like Gallo on the West side since it's close.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Just saw this thread. If I lived down there, I'd drive you around all week. Next time, come to northern California.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I used to live 45 min from SA, but now I'm down in the Houston area.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Dem cinnamon rolls. Pretty sure I'd be found dead face down in a few of those if I made my way to SA.

Falcon

n00b
If you take ggallegos1's advice and drive through Austin, make a stop at Pinballz arcade.

There are also local game stores like Gameover Video games and Gamefella's, their prices are a little higher than I like, but sometimes you'll find cool stuff.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Texas has so much more to offer then games. I'd say if you're here in the states don't waste your time on video games and visit the sites and enjoy the food. No place else like Texas.

Ghudda

New Challenger
Growing up in Austin and recently moving to Northern Texas, I actually have spent very little time in San Antonio in my life. I'll be going down for PAX though at the end of the month and am interested in hearing where some hidden gems in terms of food and bars are in the city. Sure, yelp exists, but it'd be nice to have some personal recommendations. We're staying within a block from the convention center if that helps, but we'll have a car.

Kzero

n00b
I'm going to San Antonio as well for the Killer Instinct World Cup and PAX South. I'm gonna play everything and get all the schwag! Only downside is i'm driving there from NC. 18 hours :(