Today is the Sega Saturn's birthday.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Just wanted to let you know I guess we can discuss how great and underrated it was. As for me I'm gonna play some some Sega Rally , Layer Section, and maybe an SNK fighter and after that Segata Sanshiro cm and go to bed.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
yeah the JPN launch birthday :multi_co:

I remember getting it the summer it became available here in the US. The whole reason I wanted it was for Panzer Dragoon

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Best Christmas present ever when I was a kid. My brothers and I got one with Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, a demo disc, two controllers, a light gun, and a racing wheel. It was the only thing the three of us got from our parents that year and it was so worth it.

I still have it hooked up. My favorite system ever.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Oh nice! Its insane how bad of an impression one of the greatest consoles of all time left on the average consumer. So many people still sleep on this wonderful machine.

Gonna play a little before bed in celebration.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
TBH in high school I pretty much ignored the Saturn until my brother's friend had us over his house, and we played Guardian Heroes. Later on I got one in '99 I think with Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Magic Knight Rayearth, Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 2.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm still finding hidden gems on the Saturn.

-Crimewave.....go play it.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I will not believe this until the warlord or CLOW chimes in and makes it official.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
One of my favorite CD based systems! I spent so much time playing the US and Japanese SS back in the college days. I started out buying the US SS system with the 3 game pack and Darius Gaiden. Then bought a Japanese Saturn system with Tokimeki Memorial and got into Japanese SS games. Good memories. It's a shame Playstation dominated the US market at the time.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Best Sega system!

MD comes close, but yeah..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc3AK8k90xw

I love PDS and Guardian Heroes, but no, Dreamcast was Sega's best system. Saturn comes in second for me.

Granted I am sure those folks that play the Japanese shooters will disagree, but while the Saturn has 2-3 games hands down better than dreamcast, the dreamcast overall has a larger unique library with a lot of variety.

Metropolis Street Racer, Soul Calibur, Really good arcade ports for Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and (from what I hear) the KOF games, Ikaruga, Bangai-O.

Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2

Crazy Taxi? Jet Set Radio? Space Channel 5? Seaman? Honestly... SEGA was smoking good shit during those years.

And don't forget the VMU football play picking, I was so disappointed when Madden for WiiU didn't implement a similar feature.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE THE SATURN.

I LOVE PANZER DRAGOON

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Both Saturn and DC are awesome systems, but I still prefer Saturn over Dreamcast.
Nnngh Radiant Silvergun <3

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I don't have a Sega Saturn and while i'm sometimes in envy for those great arcade ports (and Panzer Dragoon) the system has to offer, i'm happy with the PS1 and DC instead.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I don't have a Sega Saturn and while i'm sometimes in envy for those great arcade ports (and Panzer Dragoon) the system has to offer, i'm happy with the PS1 and DC instead.
same but i think honestly having a Saturn would make me feel complete. I have yet to explore most of its titles.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Still remember the first time I saw it in an import shop (Christmas '94), I had to wait a couple of years before buying it, but from that time there's no weekend that I don't play with it.

Tonight celebration with SF Zero 3, Layer Section and Sengoku Blade.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
I love PDS and Guardian Heroes, but no, Dreamcast was Sega's best system. Saturn comes in second for me.

Granted I am sure those folks that play the Japanese shooters will disagree, but while the Saturn has 2-3 games hands down better than dreamcast, the dreamcast overall has a larger unique library with a lot of variety.

Metropolis Street Racer, Soul Calibur, Really good arcade ports for Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and (from what I hear) the KOF games, Ikaruga, Bangai-O.

Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2

Crazy Taxi? Jet Set Radio? Space Channel 5? Seaman? Honestly... SEGA was smoking good shit during those years.

And don't forget the VMU football play picking, I was so disappointed when Madden for WiiU didn't implement a similar feature.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE THE SATURN.

I LOVE PANZER DRAGOON

I'd agree with regards to the their respective launches. The DC had more original titles.

Although for me, the Japanese import on Saturn was bliss at the time. X-men vs Street Fighter on Saturn was PERFECT

Last edited:

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
I completely missed the Saturn, but have recently had the chance to play with one and I like that it has a large amount of shmups available on it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Out Run in 60fps, best Daimakaimura port to date, an arcade perfect Mizubaku Daibouken and Yuzo Koshiro's Thor masterpiece won me over, but it had it's flaws and missed opportunities as well, the poor port of Virtua Racing for example, which was not made by Yu-san, Sonic, who didn't get his 2d masterpiece stance, the Galaxy Force II debacle and a few more. Still, after the Mega-CD & 32X disappointments, it really felt like a rightful Mega Drive successor and seen in retrospect, it most certainly is. So, Happy B-day SEGA SATURN!