R-TYPE LEO THOUGHTS

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Music is similar to Viewpoint (3 2 1 GO!) however it seems these games were developed and released concurrently.

what do you guys think of LEO as compared to 1 and 2 (because hey fuck it 3 is an SNES game, not an arcade game)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
your R-TYPE LEO THOUGHTS are unwelcome here you fucking loser

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I'm far from en expert on shmups but had the possibility to play through it with Raz at the last Fin Meeting with credfeeding (because I suck ;))
Power-Up system seemed nice, the graphics were colorful and nice to watch, classic elements like "closing gaps" on the screens, it's not something I'd dish out a lot of money out for (for that it has too little uniqueness for me) but found it to be quite entertaining.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
As a common looser I'd also say, cool game. But in neglecting the Force, Irem's finest tossed themselves into the realms of an incredibly broad competition of other STG's. Granted, the expansion of the options is most welcome, but ultimately not nearly as original as the mighty Force. It reminds me of Last Resort's "Unit Shot", just applied to the ship's sidekicks. The problem is that, despite of being two of them in number, as opposed to LR's single Unit, they behave exactly the same when thrown onto enemies, i.e. not moving in different directions individually.

It's a very good game, but one that should have been done outside of the R-Type series, much like X-Multiply & Armed Police Unit Gallop. The true R-Type Leo is Pulstar.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
didn't even know this existed.was never i big fan of the original r type, but LEO looks more like r type 3 and delta which i loved.so i might give it a try.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I dislike r-type games in general but i've always liked this game whenever i've played it in an arcade, like OC has already commented there's no force in this game instead you have 2 option type craft above and below you, personally i'd rather this.
I found the game not much of a challenge till level 3 then boom very hard, boss's that i recall were mechanical in nature and not organic looking like the usual r-type boss's.
I'd have loved to see it on a console (saturn or maybe dreamcast) and would definately have bought it, might also have got past level 3 then as well lol.
I'll hunt the rom down and see if it works with FBA pro, coinops 7 or final burn legends, i'd rock this game again if i could get it going on the og xbox.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'll hunt the rom down and see if it works with FBA pro, coinops 7 or final burn legends, i'd rock this game again if i could get it going on the og xbox.

I haven't updated my XB1 in YEARS, but I can say that it runs in older versions of both MameoX and MameX.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I haven't updated my XB1 in YEARS, but I can say that it runs in older versions of both MameoX and MameX.

I'd have thought FBL would run it giltygear, all comes down to whether the piss poor 64mb ram the XB1 has will cope with it, i'll report back once i've tried it on the emu's, be nice to play it again, been a long time since i played it last, this thread has reminded me what a good shooter it was.

EDIT....just had it running with FBL version1.19 first level had a few invisible bullets but level two's graphics are all over the place gun turrets in the sky and half drawn clouds were two i couldn't miss, shame, i was looking forward to getting aquainted with this little beauty.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
No Force Ball: So, it doesn't feel like an R-Type I or II game.

Yet, still flashy and fun. Lots of eye candy. Best played 2-Player.

Prob. the 2nd best arcade board after I.

Last edited:

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
leo is an amazing game, music, graphics ....
it's like street fighter alpha for r-type.

Redguard

New Challenger
R-type Leo is an incredible game and extremely underated. I wish I owned the PCB. Leo is the black sheep of the R-type family.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
(because hey fuck it 3 is an SNES game, not an arcade game)

On a side note, it's amazing, how dedicated Irem was to certain things, like home console development. R-Type III, Delta & Final are marvelous and home exclusives. They also stick to one console, once they made up their minds. SFC, but no MD. PS but no SS/DC.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I usually call it just "Leo" so I don't compare it to R-Type games and can enjoy it as a stand-alone game. Very fun game, but for different reasons than R-Type.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I recently sold this pcb, unfortunately. It looks great though and it's definitely more accessible than the other R Types. I miss it already.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I love R-Type Leo, especially this level:

leo3.png

this level is a lovely combination of a Thunderforce V stage with Pulstar

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You're right and to a lesser extent, also the Hydra stage in TFIII comes to mind.

0.jpg

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I dig it, always was a little disappointed that it never performed better (or was ported to any of the consoles around the time). Not as slow paced as RType, has a 2 player mode, more "energetic" music/visuals I think. I love RType-Leo is a different beast. Definitely worth checking out.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just credit-fed this one on the Irem Classics collection I picked up on OSX ($2). I'm always getting the R-Type sequels confused, Delta, Final, Leo. Thought I played this one already, but totally different.

It feels a little more like Thunder Force and less like R-Type, but I loved it.

Assuming the PCB is expensive?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I just credit-fed this one on the Irem Classics collection I picked up on OSX ($2). I'm always getting the R-Type sequels confused, Delta, Final, Leo. Thought I played this one already, but totally different.

It feels a little more like Thunder Force and less like R-Type, but I loved it.

Assuming the PCB is expensive?

It's not that cheap.