Ninja Baseball Bat Man

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Has anyone played this?

Guy at work turned me onto it. Looks like a quirky TNMT type beat-em up. Looks like fun.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb4-1G4Tc-I

c02209577bf95b6f02b02bfa888fbf2b.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Pretty sure it was the beat-em-up of the month recently. Fun game for sure.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea, I have a board that is having massive issues, need to get it fixed, it's one of the few US boards made. Watch out for the bootlegs.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Yea, I have a board that is having massive issues, need to get it fixed, it's one of the few US boards made. Watch out for the bootlegs.
Yeah a quick eBay browse turned up what looks like a boot. Hoping I can find a good board one day. Otherwise I'll be firing it up in mame on my Ouya soon.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Galloping Ghost arcade has it. It's a fun game, I think there's a bit of a novelty to it because of just how qwerky of a concept it is. But it's a solid though unspectacular beat-em up nonetheless.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i played it years ago on mame after watching the avgn review.remember really liking it.but would still rather play aliens vs predator or final fight.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I saw it in a game sack episode a while back, left in the arcades i think it was called, looked a fun, quirky game, judging by the title i'm assuming this game never saw the light of day on a home console.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Tried it out on MAME a while back. It's a helluva fun beatemup. PC Engine would have made a perfect port for this.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Tried it out on MAME a while back. It's a helluva fun beatemup. PC Engine would have made a perfect port for this.

kind of looks over powered for the pc engine.the saturn maybe?.

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
Never heard of this game. But then in 1993 I was either in the arcade playing assorted Neo Geo games, or at home cuddling my Amiga and SNES (:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
kind of looks over powered for the pc engine.the saturn maybe?.

Haha I know right. PC-Engine is out of the question, or any home console from that era.

Saturn, alright, but Irem didn't have much output in older arcade ports during the 32-Bit era. There were some, In The Hunt, X-Multiply/Image Fight, but I would imagine a title would have had to be a strong earner in arcades to receive a port during this time frame.

Given the relative rarity of the board (both Japan and US), I'm assuming it wasn't. The look and style during the time couldn't have been better tailored for a western market IMO. If the game received a wider release here at the time, there's no doubt that the youth of america would have been wearing Ninja Baseball Batman backpacks on the way to Toys R Us to buy their NBB figures after watching the NBB cartoon.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's a fun game, I think there's a bit of a novelty to it because of just how qwerky of a concept it is. But it's a solid though unspectacular beat-em up nonetheless.

How do you know how unspectacular it is? Do you have any idea how to play it?

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
How do you know how unspectacular it is? Do you have any idea how to play it?

I actually sat and played through it with a friend a couple years ago. I used basic beat em up mechanics but by no means took the time to master the intricacies of the combat system.
With that said I recall it being unusually difficult and if it weren't set to free-play I wouldn't have made it very far.

I'd say the level design was cool aesthetically and the baseball theme was cartoonish and fun, but once the novelty of that wore off the fact beat em ups are kind of a repetitive genre set in. Keep in mind, by no means am I saying this is a bad game. It just doesn't jump out to me in the way that Turtles in Time or say for example the D&D Beat Em ups by Capcom do those games are rare examples in the genre that I would describe spectacular, thus my comment.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
With that said I recall it being unusually difficult and if it weren't set to free-play I wouldn't have made it very far.

but once the novelty of that wore off the fact beat em ups are kind of a repetitive genre set in.

You shouldn't be critiquing beat 'em ups .

Expressing enjoyment or dislike for a game and making claims on a game's perceived shortcomings without an understanding of the subject are two different things. You must discern.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Totally do-able with the Arcade card. Saturn would work too.

What arcade card games are even close to the sprite heavy style and look of Ninja Baseball Bat Man?

I bet a NBBM port on the PC Engine would end up looking like the Martial Champion port (granted, not an arcade card game).

Totally inappropriate!

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
What arcade card games are even close to the sprite heavy style and look of Ninja Baseball Bat Man?

I bet a NBBM port on the PC Engine would end up looking like the Martial Champion port (granted, not an arcade card game).

Totally inappropriate!

Fatal Fury Special and AOF1 are sprite heavy and both look great on the Duo. Not arcade perfect but those ports are excellent. A NBBM 4 player would be too much. 2P port on Duo. Full 4P on Saturn.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
It's weird that this game doesn't have typical IREM art style. I thought the art style is very similar to Data East................kinda funny