Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 96 of 96

Thread: Bootleg Gallery (Pic Heavy)

  1. #76
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    trenton_net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcb View Post
    In my own experience it's not that easy to erase EPROMs. I have had to bake them in direct UV light for as long as 30 mins to completely erase a chip, MVS carts have small vent windows and I doubt there is much sunlight in your MVS cab :-) not much concern for a bootlegger to worry about wasting stickers in an environment that's not that unstable.
    I assume in your example, 30 minutes is the total time to erase every bit of the EPROM, where as a shorter bake time will only erase some parts of the memory? I guess it's kind of a gray area, and not binary (All or nothing) in terms of erasing?

  2. #77

    Gunbu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    El Segundo, CA

    Posts
    69
    Here are a couple of the bootlegs I own.
    Neo Turf Masters


    Puzzle Bobble. Someone sure put a lot of work into this one.


  3. #78
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    16,517
    I knowingly received a KOF99 bootleg MVS cart (was thrown in with a 1C bought from ebay).

    The label is fake and I reckon even the warning stick is too. Booooooty!

    kof99fake.jpgkof99fake1.jpgkof99fake2.jpg

  4. #79
    Neo Bubble Buster
    ledfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southern California

    Posts
    42
    I'm fascinated by the varying styles of boards used for bootlegs and some of them look nice in terms of their construction. This brings up some questions: if a bootlegger is going to go through the trouble of having a custom printed circuit board made, how come they didn't try to emulate the original board better? I mean if they were trying to dupe naive buyers, wouldn't the best bet be to try and copy the original as close as possible? Isn't that the whole point of counterfeiting anything?

    Don't get me wrong...I'm glad they don't since it would make it a bit harder to find boots in the wild, but I'm still curious.

  5. #80
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by ledfrog View Post
    I'm fascinated by the varying styles of boards used for bootlegs and some of them look nice in terms of their construction. This brings up some questions: if a bootlegger is going to go through the trouble of having a custom printed circuit board made, how come they didn't try to emulate the original board better? I mean if they were trying to dupe naive buyers, wouldn't the best bet be to try and copy the original as close as possible? Isn't that the whole point of counterfeiting anything?

    Don't get me wrong...I'm glad they don't since it would make it a bit harder to find boots in the wild, but I'm still curious.
    That would mean making boards for through-hole chips, and also getting the chips, which are obsolete and likely not that easy to obtain. Current technology is likely cheaper, and anyway, if people knows about boots, they will not fall for them. If they have no clue, no matter what, they will fall.

    TL;DR: it makes no sense.

  6. #81
    Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kentucky

    Posts
    1,609
    In the case of MVS, I dont believe bootlegs where ever made to try an "dupe" anyone. I think it was a way for operators to save money and pirates to make money. Alot of bootlegs, despite the physical differences, play just fine. Its when you get into the later games post 1999, when things get finicky, as the protections wearn't fully understood. So pirates would get them to a "good enough" state, or use proto version and then move on to the next game.

    Of course, this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Niko; 04-11-2017 at 09:11 PM.

  7. #82
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,415
    what niko said (at least for the MVS side of things).

  8. #83
    Neo Bubble Buster
    ledfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southern California

    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    That would mean making boards for through-hole chips, and also getting the chips, which are obsolete and likely not that easy to obtain.
    This totally makes sense, but I was thinking more along the lines of at least getting the boards the same...like identical trace patterns and chip layouts. But after thinking about it some more, I guess that wouldn't have been very cost effective even for a bootlegger seeing as how they'd probably want to maximize their ability to boot multiple games using the same knockoff boards and some games require a different amount of chips as well as different layouts.

    Another thing that I noticed about the bootlegs is that they almost always have ALL 60 pins present on the edge connector, whereas I believe none of my original cartridges have all 60. They're usually missing a handful toward the center.
    Last edited by ledfrog; 04-12-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: grammar

  9. #84
    Neo Bubble Buster
    ledfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southern California

    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    In the case of MVS, I dont believe bootlegs where ever made to try an "dupe" anyone. I think it was a way for operators to save money and pirates to make money. Alot of bootlegs, despite the physical differences, play just fine. Its when you get into the later games post 1999, when things get finicky, as the protections wearn't fully understood. So pirates would get them to a "good enough" state, or use proto version and then move on to the next game.
    Yeah this is what I was thinking for back when these games were new seeing as how just about every popular arcade game appeared to have some amount of bootleg counterparts. But today, it's a different story. Operators aren't clamoring to get the latest and greatest Neo Geo game into their arcades. Back then, I'm sure the faster a bootleg could be made, the faster everyone "wins," so the quality wouldn't be there and there would be no concern for trying to emulate perfection. But today, there's a sizable market for collectors and since some of the MVS games are well into the hundreds of dollars and the AES versions can get well into the thousands, I would think that we're at a point where there would be some unscrupulous bootlegger out there that would try to dupe a buyer the best they can.

    I mean think of all the other types of products that get knocked off every day (purses, electronics, watches, etc.) and you find that while no knockoff is perfect, sometimes it's hard to tell! Again, I'm very glad we're not facing this problem here...just somewhat surprised it hasn't happened.

  10. #85
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,415
    I think most MVS boots are mostly from back in the day... Homecarts are a whole different beast - used to be conversions/eproms, now you'll find almost anything (and they are harder to open without damage).

  11. #86
    Krauser's Henchman
    egg_sanwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada

    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by ledfrog View Post
    I mean think of all the other types of products that get knocked off every day (purses, electronics, watches, etc.) and you find that while no knockoff is perfect, sometimes it's hard to tell! Again, I'm very glad we're not facing this problem here...just somewhat surprised it hasn't happened.
    You must be new around here. Aero Fighters 3 US AES, 99.9% authentic Crossed Swords 2, NCI boots, basically any Metal Slug 1 AES - bootlegs are everywhere these days. Where there is money to be made, boots will exist.

  12. #87
    King's Dry Cleaner
    Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your trash can

    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by egg_sanwich View Post
    You must be new around here. Aero Fighters 3 US AES, 99.9% authentic Crossed Swords 2, NCI boots, basically any Metal Slug 1 AES - bootlegs are everywhere these days. Where there is money to be made, boots will exist.
    Our favorite bootlegger, fakk2

  13. #88
    Mega Shock!!
    noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denver

    Posts
    100
    Knowingly got this Super Dodge Ball bootleg in a lot with a couple other games. Fortunately it's at least played okay so far.

    IMG_4543.JPGIMG_4545.JPG

  14. #89
    Galford's Poppy Trainer
    werejag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma

    Posts
    2,626
    looks like the neo-273 was refluxed at some point also. well if it works flawless enjoy.
    I guess it's a good day for Were-Jag... -NG: DEV.TEAM
    It's only fucking 50 USD for crying out loud. -Yakumo
    If there's one thing I hate in life more than anything else it's freeloaders. -Yakumo
    "reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

  15. #90
    Trust the French? cdamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago

    Posts
    10,579

  16. #91
    Cham Cham's Banana
    aaronjmill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis

    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by cdamm View Post
    seems legit.

  17. #92
    Stakes Winner
    MrWunderful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    San Francisco, California

    Posts
    98
    Knew that this copy of puzzle bobble was going to be a bootleg, and got it for free:


  18. #93

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,873
    Most of the well-made bootlegs were made in China or thereabouts. Most arcade operators were not concerned about whether the game was legit. Bootlegs of all types of jamma games were basically standard in Asia.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

  19. #94

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,873
    Those last two were nice. Could use them to make some nice repros of unreleased games.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

  20. #95
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Catoblepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Italy

    Posts
    222
    Metal Slug 4 bootleg. Got it with a bunch of other carts, it's my only MS4 and it works fine, so... what the hell, it's better than nothing.
    Like Madman's MS4 boot in the first page, no serial on the label, a dead giveaway.



    Boards are custom and frankly quite impressive, a very clean job if compared to some Frankenstein monsters out there.



    The most absurd thing is that they've gone the extra mile to create holo labels, even for the Caution sticker!
    Of course they look nothing like the crossed diagonal SNK holo pattern, more like sun rays.





    But now that I've opened the cart, I'm afraid I won't be able to use the warranty anymore... after all, "Warranty void IS removed" (no "if", no doubt).

    Last edited by Catoblepa; 12-15-2019 at 06:49 PM.

  21. #96
    .
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    ruanda

    Posts
    130
    Pop'n bounce, i bought it to test the mv1b with audio problem of my thread, i never had a neogeo aes or mvs cartridge so i was not prepared to understand the differences from legit and bootleg.
    card.jpg
    2 pin in red were shorted, i removed the extra tin and enclosed into the case.
    IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    At the end i played (without the sound) and after 30 seconds the game hunged, the game animations still running but i cannot give any input but i can pause the game.
    I am thinking to make a diagnostic card using this pcb, can i change only the m1 rom or should i do more modifications?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pier; 02-23-2020 at 04:44 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •