Bootleg Gallery (Pic Heavy)

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Weird to say at least but... Most boots of Strikers 1945 Plus have less issues than the real carts!

I already found 3 dead or dead real Strikers and all the boots were running flawlessly!

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Weird to say at least but... Most boots of Strikers 1945 Plus have less issues than the real carts!

I already found 3 dead or dead real Strikers and all the boots were running flawlessly!

Haha, that's pretty funny. Yeah, there are definitely top quality boots out there that surfaced a little over 10 years ago.

I picked up an MS5 boot the other day. I'll post pics later.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Picked up an MS2 yesterday for a decent price. Just looked at a pic I took of it and noticed the SNK logo looked a little weird. I should have noticed while I was there, but the logo was mostly ripped off and diverted my attention. It is a conversion boot from a KOF '94 board. You will notice that on the bottom board, the bootleggers put a partial portion of the move strip from KOF '94 so the solder contacts would not scratch the top board.

Pxo7eMd.jpg

IdNPFJ2.jpg

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Very poor man's bootleg...

If you look at the KOF '94 move strip you will notice that it's in Spanish. So it might have been created in Mexico and made its way up to the states. Honestly, these booters only want their shit to work with putting the bare minimum amount of effort in to it.

xardion

n00b
Pop n bounce boot
Some of the components are very badly soldered and in the wrong place , afraid to fry something if i try this so i wont.

DSC00359.JPGDSC00360.JPG

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Pop n bounce boot
Some of the components are very badly soldered and in the wrong place , afraid to fry something if i try this so i wont.

/snip

Damn, where did you get this? Did you know it was a boot when you picked it up by the label?

xardion

n00b
I knew it was a boot when i bought it , got it cheap with a bunch of other mvs 4 originals and 3 boots this was the worst of the boots.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Got a guy trying to sell a pretty good Sengoku 3 boot on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142013838412

s-l1600.jpg

So first off you will notice that the guy does not take the best of pictures. It looks like he slathered Vaseline all over his camera's lens before taking the pictures. If you compare this label with the one listed on mvs-scans, you will notice it is a fake. The fine print located on the top right of the label on the actual cart stretches pretty far and meets the wording of the title of the game. The one listed in this picture is very short. Also, the black rectangular border on the label is thicker than usual.

s-l1600.jpg

Another crappy image. This one is probably deliberate to just make the person viewing the item think that the boards are legit. The boards are PROGBK1s, but you will notice that the roms do not have the NGH number and rom type printed on the roms. Providing a fuzzy image makes the viewer kind of think if they are actually there or not.

s-l1600.jpg

Same as the above picture.

Oh and guess where this guy is from, FRANCE!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
The sengoku 3 doesn't look fake. I thought it uses 8MB Roms. So there's no EPROM that size to my knowledge. The lettering on the mask Roms are really hard to see at an angle or w a shitty camera.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Word, I'm leaning towards legit as well. If you're not sure if something is a boot or not, create a new thread. This thread was intended to showcase boots and talk about the evidence of why. These are the proper boards for Sengoku 3, pics aren't great but even on in-focus, well-lit photos the NGH numbers are hard to read: http://www.arcade-collector.com/sengoku-3-neogeo-120

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Found this on EBay tonight:

Game: Metal Slug 4
Photos:
MS4%20C1.jpg

MS4%20C2.jpg

MS4%20C3.jpg

Boot Evidence:
Fake label
SMT ROMs
EPROM
Voltage regulator
SNK silk screen says "MADE IN JAAAA"

Kind of interesting they've got SNK silk screening on the PROG board, though.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Seeing all this made me wonder if the MOTW I got is original or boot... bought it like back in 2004 or so... a bit late to check now lol

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Seeing all this made me wonder if the MOTW I got is original or boot... bought it like back in 2004 or so... a bit late to check now lol

Never too late to check because the next person that buys it probably will. Jap version or English version? How much did you pay back then? I remember prices from back then...

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Funny how some of these boots don't even bother to put tape over the UV windows :/

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Not exclusive, I have an SNK-repaired KOF96 MVS cart with exposed EPROM windows.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Funny how some of these boots don't even bother to put tape over the UV windows :/

In my own experience it's not that easy to erase EPROMs. I have had to bake them in direct UV light for as long as 30 mins to completely erase a chip, MVS carts have small vent windows and I doubt there is much sunlight in your MVS cab :-) not much concern for a bootlegger to worry about wasting stickers in an environment that's not that unstable.