Famicom to NES Game Converter Problems

Hey guys. Still waiting on a new monitor for my Neo-Geo MVS-2, so I wanted to get into old Famicom games to help pass the time.

I bought a 60-72pin "Game Converter" off Ebay for 30$ and the only model # on it is "WH-101". I'm using it with my old, unmodified, "toaster oven" style American NES (non-top loader). I've got 2 games I can test with, but both are giving the same result despite thoroughly cleaning both carts and the converter cart.

Here's the cart with a game attached: http://postimg.org/image/n6onegymt/

The audio plays perfect, but I keep getting random sprites resulting in garbled graphics.

Here's it loading Super Chinese 2: http://postimg.org/image/axnom6d3h/

And here's it loading Super Chinese 3:
http://postimg.org/image/nfn0e66y5/

The audio plays perfect, and these garbled screens change as the title screen or intro loads, but I can't get it clear up. Wiggling the cart around like I do with American carts just results in more garble or the screen locking up.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I thought perhaps something inside the cart just needs re-flowing but I can't see or feel any screw holes in it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Some of those converter carts are complete shit. From my experience the honeybee one's are the most reliable.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Have you tried the advice from the adapter, holding the reset button for 3 seconds? I dunno what that should bring in effect, but maybe it's as simple as that.

Yes. I don't really have a "blinking" issue that can occur with this setup. The graphics are just garbled.

Super Chinese 2 needs to be opened anyway for a battery replacement, so I'm in the middle of opening my kung fu and volleyball carts now to look to see if one contains an adapter and replace the kungfu or vollyball pcb with the SC2 pcb. We'll see. I just want something working. Open to any more ideas on the converter cart pictured or agreement that it's just a dud haha.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I bought the adapter from krikizz and I put my famicom game in a NES case for the time being. quality is good.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Did you try cleaning both ends of the adapter? There really isn't much that can go wrong w/them other than a bad connection.

I bought the adapter from krikizz and I put my famicom game in a NES case for the time being. quality is good.

Interesting. I might check that out.

Did you try cleaning both ends of the adapter? There really isn't much that can go wrong w/them other than a bad connection.

The end that goes into the NES I have cleaned but not the other end. It doesn't look dirty.. plus when I get garbled graphics it's always the exact same graphics shown.

No gyromite on ebay?

Haha I've looked at that but most of the time people want too much for it.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Any adapter based NES game is usually between $18 and $30 bucks shipped. Krikiz is $25, but you're not gutting a NES cart, so it's whatever is best in your eyes.