SNES Power Jack Alternatives.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I found someone who can fix my snes power jack. It has that common issue where it's destroyed, but works. He has a few SNES power jacks handy, but he said he can install a Super Famicom power jack, that way I can use the more common PSU that works with nes, genesis, etc...

My question is...

Is there another alternative to getting this power jack besides shipping a broken super famicom from Japan?

If possible, I would just like to buy the one piece I need and save on shipping. Preferably new.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can probably get them of mouser or digikey.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
A SFC power jack will also require the molded grey plastic surround, or some filing and dremeling to the SNES's original surround. I've done this and frankly, you're better off just using the SNES jack if your friend has them in stock. Instead of modding the SNES, you could buy a Genesis PSU (if you want) and put a SNES tip on it instead.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
A SFC power jack will also require the molded grey plastic surround, or some filing and dremeling to the SNES's original surround. I've done this and frankly, you're better off just using the SNES jack if your friend has them in stock. Instead of modding the SNES, you could buy a Genesis PSU (if you want) and put a SNES tip on it instead.

OK, maybe I will look into that. There's just no good alternatives out there for good snes power supplies. Mine is total crap, and I need a new one, but I don't want to buy a 20 year old psu.

By put a new jack on it, do you mean rip the tip off, and rewire a new one on, or is there an adaptor that will just hook right on the tip of the Genesis psu?

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Are you talking about the socket on the back of the SNES, or the connector on the AC adapter?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I believe hyperkin sells the entire back panel assembly to repair the snes power jack.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I need the same thing, thanks madman (and greedostick).

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Ok, I just gave my friend my snes, he's going to fix the power connector on the console side, so this leaves me with a shitty psu. In order to get my psu to work, I have to wrap the cord around the psu. So there's a loose connection somewhere.

What are my options as far as getting a new psu?

I assume I could probably fix mine, but I would like a solid backup psu that doesn't have 20 years on it.

Someone mentioned changing the barrel jack to the more common one. Is there a faq on how to switch these without blowing my snes motherboard? Or even better, an adaptor that will slide over a genny style psu barrel and convert it to a snes style plug?

Hopefully that clears things up.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Someone mentioned changing the barrel jack to the more common one. I haven't researched the type my, according, DC, etc. For a few years. Is there a faq on how to switch these without blowing my snes motherboard? Or even better, an adaptor that will slide over the snes barrel connection on the psu, and convert it to a genny style plug?

Hopefully that clears things up.
Buy this: http://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-snes-power-supply-adapter-plug-cable.html

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Can your friend just fix the PSU for you too? If it's a loose connection, it should be a 1 minute job for him to resolder it.

edit: I was posting that while madman was writing his. Go with his solution and a Sega 1602 PSU. That is brilliant.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was gonna suggest that, I got one and it works great.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Glad I saw this thread. I've had 3 SNES consoles, and every single one of them had the little plastic barrel around the PSU jack broken.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

Thanks. I need some of these as well.

I also need a Genesis Model 2 power jack

This seems to be the equivalent jack Genny2
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=CP-018HPJCT-ND

Can't find one for the SNES. Anybody know where I can find them. I already know about the prebuilt assembly and don't need it.

I'd rather buy these little pieces in bulk.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm not sure that the SNES jack is separate from the rest of the assembly.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
So it just feeds through.

Edit: do you know where I can find a replace!ent jack?

Last edited: