EDIT: Now my PicoPSU wont give any voltage under load

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
EDIT: Now that I've installed my PicoPSU, I can't get it to power anything. Turning on the supergun with nothing attached gives me correct readings on the pins. Plugging something in and turning it on does nothing. No readings on the pins. Computer ATX PSU powers just fine and I'm using a 12V, 6A cable into the 12-24V PicoPSU. That should be enough right?

Any clues? I'm so frustrated.

Original irrelevant post:
Spoiler:
Could you tell me where you got your JAMMA harness? I got this one, and the voltage at the JAMMA pins come up as 4.3V and 11.6V under load:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXV1UXA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I obviously can't adjust the voltage, but I was wondering if using thicker gauge wire for the power lines would solve a voltage drop issue?

EDIT: I forgot to include that when I power the supergun, no image or audio can be heard but the fan is spinning.

Last edited:

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Have you tried another power supply? What does the voltage read at the atx power supply?

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
When I unplug the JAMMA harness I get the correct voltages at the harness. I have read that the CPS2 is a powerhog and can cause the voltages to drop, and I've also read that having wires that are too thin can do the same. I'm using a Thermaltake TR2 430watt PSU like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-240-Pin-Power-Supply-W0070RUC/dp/B0009Q56N6

I feel like the voltages shouldn't be dipping but idk. My next step is buying thicker wire and trying that.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On my supergun builds I use 14awg stranded wire for 5v and ground, nothing less. I've seen some use 18awg and 20awg for power. It'll work but not be able to pull much amps. An arcade PSU will be easier to work with since you can adjust it.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
On my supergun builds I use 14awg stranded wire for 5v and ground, nothing less. I've seen some use 18awg and 20awg for power. It'll work but not be able to pull much amps. An arcade PSU will be easier to work with since you can adjust it.

I'll have to give that a try, I'll hit up my local home depot and see what they've got. The JAMMA harness I'm using is 22awg wire on everything. Bullshit!

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I had better luck with older ATX PSUs that more closely match the amp ratings for an arcade PSU.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I use a MeanWell RT125A power supply. It has +5, +12 and -5 which works fine for arcade needs. So far, it has worked fine with everything I've thrown at it (including CPS2).

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'll have to give that a try, I'll hit up my local home depot and see what they've got. The JAMMA harness I'm using is 22awg wire on everything. Bullshit!

I get all my local electronics supply stuff from IC supply. It's in Sand Island on the right side after you pass the 76 at the end of the strip before the stoplight.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I use an ATX and have no issues. I have the standard shit Chinese extension with the black edge connector and hanzi all over it.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I get all my local electronics supply stuff from IC supply. It's in Sand Island on the right side after you pass the 76 at the end of the strip before the stoplight.

Yeah dude, I love IC Supply! I plan on stopping there again asap.

In case anybody cares, it was the shitty JAMMA power wires that caused the problems. Replaced them with 16gauge and everything's peachy.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I use an old ATX PSU also, downside is no voltage adjustments but its been solid otherwise. CPS2 is just fine on it and passes the issue I discovered recently. But as with anything, if you get a flaky ATX PSU, you will have problems.

Last edited:

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
So I swapped out the temporary computer ATX PSU with my PicoPSU I got in the mail today, and it doesn't power on anything. I've updated my original post with more details....

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Does the power supply have any kind of over-current/over-voltage protection? Could be from that.

You don't have -5v wired somewhere incorrectly do you? Or even some voltage in reverse polarity somewhere? Something is shorted on your Jamma edge?

Double check your +5, +12, and -5v(if applicable) and make sure they're wired to the correct landings on your Jamma edge.

Are you blowing any fuses?