Most difficult shmups you've ever played?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Lot's of shmups seem completely impossible the first time you play them. The hardest one I've ever cleared by far was Strikers 1945 II (both loops), it took 4.5 months, playing almost every single day. I'd say 90% of that time was put into clearing the second loop. I think I beat the first loop in like a week or two.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Twin Cobra on the Genesis was kicking all kinds on my ass when I got it in December. I was reading this article about it and it's true, it's like the AI knows where you're going to go and has a bullet there waiting for you when you get there.

http://www.sega-16.com/2006/10/twin-cobra/

I have the PC Engine version also and I don't remember it being nearly as frustrating.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
"There’re ten levels in Twin Cobra and I really don’t believe that anyone can get to level ten without using
a Game Genie code." - That article

Well, the shmups forum has two 1-Alls and a 2-All posted, so that myth is debunked.

I know the article's old, and it's just an opinion piece..

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Genesis port has a fucked aspect ratio. To fit it horizontally they cut out a ton of the vertical space you can move in, making it a bit hard. PCE version is reasonably faithful, and is helped a lot by the built-in autofire.

The stage 5/10 boss is kinda brutal if you don't know about the safe spots or the tanks that come out from the sides and shoot crossing patterns, to be fair. The game is definitely marathonable, especially the JP version. At Hey in Akiba I saw multiple 5 mil+ scores over the week I was there.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Battle Garegga was extremely brutal the first few times I played it. I kept asking myself, "Where are the f***ing bullets coming from?!"

I can't imagine how the original Last Hope is if there needed to be a Pink Bullets revision.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I've still never beaten Gaiares. That game's been whooping my ass for over 20 years now.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I really love vertical shooters/bullethells and i slowly try to get better at them. TO me its like my most preferred way of trying to achieve hard discipline in gaming, which I struggle with a lot because I have like a learning disability or something... so right now the hardest one I've played is definitely Summer Carnival '92 RECCA for Famicom, I downloaded it off the nintendo store and damn do I love it. Its so challenging and I can hardly ever get past the 1st boss. I'm just not good at them, but I love the challenge I guess.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I really love vertical shooters/bullethells and i slowly try to get better at them. TO me its like my most preferred way of trying to achieve hard discipline in gaming, which I struggle with a lot because I have like a learning disability or something... so right now the hardest one I've played is definitely Summer Carnival '92 RECCA for Famicom, I downloaded it off the nintendo store and damn do I love it. Its so challenging and I can hardly ever get past the 1st boss. I'm just not good at them, but I love the challenge I guess.

Use that "bomb shot" you have - Instead of shooting at it, lay off the fire button and wait until you're at full power then shoot.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
yea, i noticed this the one time i got to it, and then forgot that was the strategy. i beat it once so far, and i was SO FUCKING MESMERIZED by the 2nd stage, the graphics on this thing are so awesome.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I've still never beaten Gaiares. That game's been whooping my ass for over 20 years now.

I feel your pain, i too have been coming up short on gaiares for over 20 years.
The final boss on snes EDF has also creamed me every time for just as long.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I feel your pain, i too have been coming up short on gaiares for over 20 years.
The final boss on snes EDF has also creamed me every time for just as long.

I don't think I've ever played it with the Genesis arcade stick. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I'd say 2 of the toughest Neo Geo games is Pulstar and Last resort....
Especially Last resort!
I'm really liking Last Resort but it seems to be extremley hard

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
All the shmups are the hardest ones for me. I suck at them. I can't even complete Blazing Star and I am aware that it's one of the easiest ones.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'd say 2 of the toughest Neo Geo games is Pulstar and Last resort....
Especially Last resort!
I'm really liking Last Resort but it seems to be extremley hard

First loop ain't bad with practice. Second loop is definitely challenging. I can't beat it anyway.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
All depends on what platform I'm playing on.

NEO: View Point.
CPS: Dimahoo.
ST-V: Radiant Silvergun.
SPI: Raiden Fighters.
Naomi: Ikaruga.
PCB: Ketsui (Special Round, 21:00)

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Any game where I have to manage rank.

Fuck that shit.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I remember that ESPGaluda 2 is a hard one, also Viewpoint was always unbeatable for me. But then I saw Gerard play the game, milking the bosses and laughing at my stunned face and I knew: The Shmup is not the problem, my lazy fingers are. Maybe I should be 3 years again with all this astonishing reaction times.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Air Zonk

That stage 2 music is so good I keep closing my eyes to rock out.

Game is pretty tough with your eyes closed.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Air Zonk

That stage 2 music is so good I keep the Hu in my deck, and use the CD rev as a coaster...closing my eyes to rock out.

Game is pretty tough with your eyes closed.

Fixed! ;^)