Most difficult shmups you've ever played?

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
Hype by The Bytebusters (1987, MSX). It is fast, smooth and to call it unforgiving would be an understatement.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Pink Sweets is hard as hell. Also Xenon 2 Megablast on Amiga is nearly impossible for me to play. Ah, and of course Border Down. Brilliant game but my reactions are too slow.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The fuck are you on "Pc Engine"? Remember you don't play your games...

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
The fuck are you on "Pc Engine"? Remember you don't play your games...

I play all my games, don't listen to madman.
I can 1cc legendary axe 2, and don't use any cheat device (MAME, Everdrive, cheatcode).........

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
How's that Metal Slug 3 1CC going?...lol

Edit: Every other post just shows how little you know, the problem is not that you know very little, the problem is that you pretend to know more than you actually do, hell I don't mind you buying the games, better than a flipper, my problem is with your train of thought process...there is no train there...

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
How's that Metal Slug 3 1CC going?...lol

Edit: Every other post just shows how little you know, the problem is not that you know very little, the problem is that you pretend to know more than you actually do, hell I don't mind you buying the games, better than a flipper, my problem is with your train of thought process...there is no train there...

:(

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Aw, don't give me that guilt trip face...

latest

He's our dawg, we can question his integrity, but not his loyalty...

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
I played my Batsugun board recently after years and struggled because of the fucking bullet speed .
I´m a CAVE guy and getting on a bit...come on goddamned .

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I'd have to say R-type, Pulstar, X-multiply, and Gaiares.

I feel you, these are the exact sort of shooters I'm worst at, though I do enjoy them once in a while.
Also, Parodius games usually wreck me, especially if I power up more than 1-2 times.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Also, Parodius games usually wreck me, especially if I power up more than 1-2 times.

I'll admit that Parodius Da! (1st arcade game) is downright brutal if you fully power-up the Gradius ship, but it's quite manageable and easier to learn if you play with Pentarou or Octopus.

Gokujō Parodius and Sexy Parodius are two of my all-time favorite arcade shmups, though. They're also a more manageable length than Parodius Da! and really fun to learn the placement of where enemies will come from.

The MSX Parodius, though? Oh, screw that game... >_>

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Mahou Daisakusen / Sorcer Striker is still the toughest game i've played. A lot of guys say it isn't that bad - but it wrecks me completely. First 2-3 stages aren't terrible but it really kicks up on stage 4 and stage 5 is like a non-stop boss rush.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I had to look up Deadly Edge. Whoa, that looks insane! Shit just flying in from all angles. No thanks!

Mars Matrix for me. I love the soundtrack, and the gameplay. Really fun game, but just brutal!

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I'd have to say R-type, Pulstar, X-multiply, and Gaiares.

I don't remember Gaiares being abnormally hard but I haven't played it well over a decade. That game did seem really long for a shooter though.