Most difficult shmups you've ever played?

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Agree with every one I've played that I've seen so far on this thread. A few more:

Gaiares
In the Hunt
Last Resort (single player mode)
Thunder Force IV

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Oh yeah, that Asia version of Sengeki Striker. Stage one feels like a stage 4, and stage 2 feels like a True Last Boss. Even over on system11 nobody has made it past stage 2.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
To me... basically anything I play on PC Engine. I start up the system and before hearing the cd spinning... the system laughs at me. :(

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Oh yeah, that Asia version of Sengeki Striker. Stage one feels like a stage 4, and stage 2 feels like a True Last Boss. Even over on system11 nobody has made it past stage 2.

I played the game once and never touched it again. I keep it just as a conversation topic:

" Want to see real dificult? Play this!"

Lol

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
To me... basically anything I play on PC Engine. I start up the system and before hearing the cd spinning... the system laughs at me. :(
Blazing Lazers/Gunhed that's a really good start, you may not beat it on the fly but you'll definitely get far and want to get farther once you're done.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Blazing Lazers/Gunhed that's a really good start, you may not beat it on the fly but you'll definitely get far and want to get farther once you're done.

Use the Lightning weapon, "III" IIRC... You'll be able to fully upgrade it by the time you face the first boss.

Also realized I never answered this question: Pretty much any of the Namco OG shooters - Galaga, Galaxian, Xevious, et al.

I keep hearing them laugh at me with that "Iori laugh"...

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Truxton II just annihilates me if I haven't sat down with it in a while. Last Resort eventually becomes extremely difficult for me and I have to start pouring quarters in.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I still really struggle w/Ibara and granted; i've never fully sorted out the Hadou Cannon part.

Sorcer Striker is crazy hard starting on stage 4 and stage 5 is a non-stop boss fight that eats me alive.

I've never tried the Rayxanber games but i'm interested now...

jtucci31

n00b
Yeah I just recently tried to sit down with Rayxanber II again and man is that hard. Couldn't make it past stage 2. I love the intro screen though, "RAYXANBAAAA"

Tatsujin on PCE is another challenging one to get through for me. I've put many hours into it and all I have to claim for it is that I can get midway through stage 2.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I still really struggle w/Ibara and granted; i've never fully sorted out the Hadou Cannon part.

Sorcer Striker is crazy hard starting on stage 4 and stage 5 is a non-stop boss fight that eats me alive.

I've never tried the Rayxanber games but i'm interested now...

Is Ibara any fun considering it's difficulty and notoriety?

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Turrican on the Megadrive if you can call it a shooter. That game is seriously hard.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Id like to nominate some other stuff:

Thunder force 2 for x68k--never pass the second level, even on easy mode.

Darius twin, SNES--ridiculously hard, even on easy.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Rayxanber II has probably been the most difficult shooter for me. I really like the game and I can breeze through levels 1 through 3. Level 4 is where it stops being fun and I've attempted level 4 over 150 times and got to the boss once. Those damn flying rocks! I've read that level 6 is pretty tough as well, but I'll probably never get to it in my lifetime.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Rayxanber II has probably been the most difficult shooter for me. I really like the game and I can breeze through levels 1 through 3. Level 4 is where it stops being fun and I've attempted level 4 over 150 times and got to the boss once. Those damn flying rocks! I've read that level 6 is pretty tough as well, but I'll probably never get to it in my lifetime.

There always has YouTube longplay video.......:D

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Ikaruga is the one that sticks out for me as I've always thought it was a cool concept and I've played it repeatedly over the years but have yet to beat it. Some other good shmups I suck at are R-Type, Last Resort and Zanac(NES). I have yet to play Pulstar but from what I've heard of it I'd suck at that as well.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
RType dimensions is hard for me. Although I am definitely not on the same skill level as some of you seem to be when it comes to shooters. I will add that I am pretty good at playing Gunwang and Metal slug x

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Is Ibara any fun considering it's difficulty and notoriety?

Honestly I don't think it's nearly as difficult as its reputation. Difficult yes, but if you bother learning a few simple mechanics and ways to keep rank from going bonkers you shouldn't have much trouble clearing it with a bit of practice.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Rezon. A very nice R Type clone, but brutally difficult beyond the first three stages.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
We should have R-type, Image Fight 2 or Rayxanber high score competition..............