Most difficult shmups you've ever played?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ibara
Batrider
Garegga
Truxton II
Outzone Rev. 1
Raiden

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Ikaruga on hard. I both love and hate that game.

Also, Silpheed on DOS. The final level/boss is a HUGE pain. You basically have to boss rush every boss and miniboss in the game, then fight a giant capital ship with some bullshit weapons and way too much health. While you don't die in one hit, you do take ship damage and can lose your speed and weapons.

Then again, I haven't played Silpheed since I was in elementary school.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
As Turfy and Mr. Panda mention, Deadly Edge, for X68K is ridiculouts. TeddyKGB showed it to me this weekend. It's ridiculous. The bullet patterns are so insane and the screen basically becomes a wall of bullets at times. At leas when you play stuff like Ikaruga or Mars Matrix, you can see that there is a clear way to navigate the patterns, you just need to practice in order to do it. With Deadly Edge, forget it. There's no way in hell the developer expects you to navigate those bullets. You basically have to take hits on your shield (if you've got on), or just blow up and respawn.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Either that is some kind of "easy" setting, or Jim has a fucked up image of the game on his X68k.

Yea, that is NOT the game we played. The one we were playing had suicide bullets spewing out of everytging, even the rocks you would shoot. There literally was 70+ bullets on screen at any given time, and not even in a fun way.

GhostSeed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
10 Year Member
My personal white whale is R-Type. I don't think I've ever made it past stage 4. The last level of Aldynes was also pretty brutal but it's at least beatable.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
you can crash your weapon into a boss (or any enemy) and it will take damage until it dies. trick is to not cross the ships hitbox.

What do you mean by weapon? Any attachment-type power up? The front of your ship? The options?

Are you literally pushing the ship into the bosses? I can't find anything on this.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
What do you mean by weapon? Any attachment-type power up? The front of your ship? The options?

Are you literally pushing the ship into the bosses? I can't find anything on this.

yes your front weapon. try it your front weapon has a hit box. go ramming speed RAMMATHORN! CAR RAM ROD! SAY IT SAY CAR RAM ROD

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I'm fucking useless at Truxton without autofire.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Yea, that is NOT the game we played. The one we were playing had suicide bullets spewing out of everytging, even the rocks you would shoot. There literally was 70+ bullets on screen at any given time, and not even in a fun way.

But it's same game we're talking about, right?
Ish you guys can upload video footage for us to see.

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Rayxanber 2 is crazy, it takes a lot of practise to just stay alice longer then 30 seconds.
Im getting raped by Ibara at the moment, brutal difficulty.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
But it's same game we're talking about, right?
Ish you guys can upload video footage for us to see.

Their game was inadvertently set on God difficulty:

6CWniNwGXIusTIXNuo9rQuxIZqVU7.jpg

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Yeah, that pic looks more like what we were subjected to.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Dragon Blaze. I'm retarded at that game...

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Console I'd say Rayxanber II for me. I have never cleared the 4th stage and only made it to the boss of the level 3 or 4 times but I keep coming back. Arcade maybe Tatsujin. I don't think I'd ever have the patience to learn that game

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Nobody has mentioned it but the original Raiden Fighters busts my balls pretty hard in spots. Only made it to the 4th stage maybe 10 times in my life and have played it more than any other PCB I've ever owned. The third stage boss that is a giant ship will have a gun come on the screen by a few pixels and get you with a sniper shot all the time. So frustrating.