Xbox 360 (Slim, Trinity) - Reset Glitch Hack.

m1chelsen

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi there,

Maybe some of you guys have experience with X360 modding?

My good old Premium JTAG console died once again, and my time with fat X360 consoles are over. To much trouble :D

I have bought a X360 slim, with trinity motherboard, that i want to run with FreeStyleDashboard.

I still am confused about the actually modding process, and how it actually works. Maybe some of you guys, can enlighten me?

A far as i understand, i have to read the NAND from the motherboard, modify the NAND code, and write it into the glich chip?

I have orderet a "Matrix NAND Programmer MTX XBOX360 SPI Flasher V1.0", and as far as i understand, i can use this device to read the NAND from the motherboard. But i dont understand, if i also can use it, to write to the glitch chip?

Does this Matrix thing, do the same thing as the NAND-X and the J-R Programmer?

I have ordered 2 chips (they where cheap), and i dont know which i will use yet. The first is a "X360 ACE V3" and the other is a "X360Run".

I have solderiron, solder, wires, ... Do i have alle that i need for the mod, or do i stil need something?

Thanks!

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I did RGH2 on a 360 fat once.

Yes, an SPI flasher can both read and write the NAND.
It's more or less what NandX does, but it's slower.

The basic process is:
1) Read the NAND a few times and compare dumps to ensure you got a correct read.
2) Modify a dump with Xell to get your 360's key info and write it to the 360.
3) Boot into Xell
4) Use those keys to build ANOTHER NAND image with the glitch hack
5) Reprogram your NAND with the glitched image
6) program and Solder in the glitch chip

You may need a JR Programmer or JTAG to Parallel cable to program the glitch chip with the right timings.

RGH is a glitch, so it's not always reliable. It can take 30 seconds or up to 2 minutes for your 360 to glitch on boot.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I did RGH2 on a 360 fat once.

Yes, an SPI flasher can both read and write the NAND.
It's more or less what NandX does, but it's slower.

The basic process is:
1) Read the NAND a few times and compare dumps to ensure you got a correct read.
2) Modify a dump with Xell to get your 360's key info and write it to the 360.
3) Boot into Xell
4) Use those keys to build ANOTHER NAND image with the glitch hack
5) Reprogram your NAND with the glitched image
6) program and Solder in the glitch chip

You may need a JR Programmer or JTAG to Parallel cable to program the glitch chip with the right timings.

RGH is a glitch, so it's not always reliable. It can take 30 seconds or up to 2 minutes for your 360 to glitch on boot.
Thanks for this. Quite helpful. Is this how you would region mod a slim as well?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Not sure, but while in RGH, you are region free.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Ok, thanks. I'll dig further. Trying to decide if it's better to mod my slim, or by a japanese 360

m1chelsen

Kuroko's Training Dummy
"Yes, an SPI flasher can both read and write the NAND.
It's more or less what NandX does, but it's slower."

"You may need a JR Programmer or JTAG to Parallel cable to program the glitch chip with the right timings"

First, thx for the answer :) Im still confused about the exact different between a NAND flasher, the J-R Programmer, and the NAND-X :/ I can use the "Matrix NAND Programmer MTX XBOX360 SPI Flasher V1.0" to read and write the NAND dumps from / to the X360. But can i use it to "6) program and Solder in the glitch chip", or do i need a J-R programmer / NAND-X for that?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
First, thx for the answer :) Im still confused about the exact different between a NAND flasher, the J-R Programmer, and the NAND-X :/ I can use the "Matrix NAND Programmer MTX XBOX360 SPI Flasher V1.0" to read and write the NAND dumps from / to the X360. But can i use it to "6) program and Solder in the glitch chip", or do i need a J-R programmer / NAND-X for that?

Glitch chip is something like a Cool Runner. It's totally separate from a flasher/nand reader.
The nand stuff only gets your console-specific security keys and reads/writes the firmware.

an SPI flasher, nand programmer, J-R Programmer and etc are all nand flashing/reading hardware. These things are only required when first installing.
You still need a piece of hardware to actually push the glitch code into the 360 on boot. This is usually a small PCB with some chips on it that is programmed with special instructions to glitch it. Every console is different, so there are multiple programs for these chips.

Cool Runner chips need to have wires soldered to various parts on the motherboard. Some of them are very small, very delicate and easy to break.
If you just want to play imports, it might be easier to get a japanese 360. If you want homebrew and backup loading as well, the RGH is better.

Just don't go online with a RGH'd 360, or it may be banned.

m1chelsen

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thx.

I just watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W4aPdY7aX4), and i think i get it know.

I was just confused about, IF the glitch chips needed to be programmed, or if they would be pre-programmed and ready for install. As far is i understand from the video, i can just use the Matrix NAND flasher to dumb the nand / writing ecc, and afterwards install the X360Run chip on the motherboard. After the x360run chip is installed, i dont need to program it?

I have btw soldered / modded a lot, so my soldering skills are fine, but the software technical to-do-list, is hard to understand :D

But to summon up: With the Matrix NAND flasher, and the x360Run chip, i have all the hardware i need, to perform a RGH? :)

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
for the x360run, you don't need to program it, I think.

My experience comes form using cheap $15 Cool Runner 2s, those need to be programmed.

m1chelsen

Kuroko's Training Dummy
As i write in the top, I have also ordered a x360Ace v3 chip. As i understand it, it runs out of the box (without programming it) on all corona motherboards? If i would use this chip (on my trinity motherboard), i would asume, that i would have to program it with "trinity specific code"?

If thats the case (or if i would have to program the x360run chip?), will that mean, that i need additional hardware (like NAND-X, J-R programmer) to do that, or does the Matrix NAND Programmer, offer that as well?