Second attempt at video game background...

BoogerBall

n00b
Ok, so as the title says, this is my second attempt at a low res old style video game background. The rooftop stage.

This one is slightly bigger than the last pic (240p as opposed to 224p), and this one also has some simplistic animation included. All comments and critiques welcome.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Mugi approves :drool:

nice job Booger!! Chicago right?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Ok, so as the title says, this is my second attempt at a low res old style video game background. The rooftop stage.

This one is slightly bigger than the last pic (240p as opposed to 224p), and this one also has some simplistic animation included. All comments and critiques welcome.

Very impressive work again, I love the dark contrast to your last piece.

My only constructive criticism would be to add some more animated neon signs to bring the city more 'to life' and make it pop a bit more.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Would make a great fighter background, or perhaps a graphic adventure game.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
that looks great!

Mugi approves :drool:

nice job Booger!! Chicago right?

ritz hotel does look a little like the chicago theater.. plus the sears/ willis tower looking building in background.

Chicago-Theatre2.jpg

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Looks good, but you need some ninja's in there. You can not go wrong with ninjas.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The detail in the second row of windows is amazing.

I enjoy your appreciation of backgrounds between the creative threads and the general fighting game backgrounds thread.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love it, the buildings look awesome, my only problem with it is the base where the fighters would be, seems odd and it has an unfinished look compared to the rest of the pic, plus space wise it seems off as well. You could bring out the rooftop floor some more and perhaps make it look gritty to match up with the rest. Great job though!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Splendid first sketch! I especially liked how you let this one lonely window glow on the upper right, shaded elevation of your Ritz. Also cool: this distinctive vintage feel, expressed by this nicely animated "Telecom" neon. Reminds me of this old RKO Pictures logo...

rko-logo.jpg

But I otherwise agree with ElectricGrave's slight critique: what's going on with the base for the charas? Maybe you could put some still images of fighter sprites for reference?

BoogerBall

n00b
First off, thanks for all the kind words guys, this pic took me a while to complete so its encouraging when people take an interest. The city is completely fictional and not meant to represent any real life city but I think its cool that you guys see elements of real cities in it.

Now to get to the critiques:

@kuze - I totally agree with you, the city could definitely use another neon sign or two to make it come alive/seem busier.

@ElectricGrave and oliverclaude - Yup, admittedly I did not leave enough room for the fighters to actually battle, the only way it would work with the current pic is if we cut off the fighters feet and bring them closer to the camera otherwise it would seem "off". I'll have to extend the pic down a bit to remedy that. Also, its true that the rooftop does seem simplistic and unfinished compared to the rest of the pic but I was concerned that if I gave it detail it would further clutter up the pic and then the rooftop/arena would not be easily discernible, so I chose to make it bare. I should definitely fix it though, so thanks for the keen eyesight guys.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Excellent work! I think the TMNT (updated Tournament Fighters?) would fit really well with this backdrop.

And how funny would be if, during a fight, the sprite of a cranky old man would appear in one of the windows, tell the fighters to "Knock that shit off, I'm trying to sleep!", and throw something at them, a la Courier Man from Samurais Spirits?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
First off, thanks for all the kind words guys, this pic took me a while to complete so its encouraging when people take an interest. The city is completely fictional and not meant to represent any real life city but I think its cool that you guys see elements of real cities in it.

Now to get to the critiques:

@kuze - I totally agree with you, the city could definitely use another neon sign or two to make it come alive/seem busier.

@ElectricGrave and oliverclaude - Yup, admittedly I did not leave enough room for the fighters to actually battle, the only way it would work with the current pic is if we cut off the fighters feet and bring them closer to the camera otherwise it would seem "off". I'll have to extend the pic down a bit to remedy that. Also, its true that the rooftop does seem simplistic and unfinished compared to the rest of the pic but I was concerned that if I gave it detail it would further clutter up the pic and then the rooftop/arena would not be easily discernible, so I chose to make it bare. I should definitely fix it though, so thanks for the keen eyesight guys.
Hey man it's all good, you're doing way better than I ever could. I'd suggest just bringing everything up a notch and thus being able to work the floor a bit more, even bare you need more floor space for the fighters. Also some stages are taller than the 320x240 screen in order to compensate for jumps and what have you.

Edit: Just an idea, a little crosshatch pattern for the floor with some puddles reflecting the city lights would work awesome, just saying...

Last edited:

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Great stuff going on in the back and mid ground, but you need to match that level of awesome in the fore ground. Something has to be going on on that rooftop.

I really dig that brick texture!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Badass. Keep up the good work.