Mortal Komabt 2 with bad sound

theGau

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
What the title says, I got this machine a few weeks ago and I'm almost done restoring it but the sound is giving me a crap ton of issues. The tweeter isn't hook up at all and the woofer is just making this crackling noise over top any sound the game makes plus the volume seems to be very low at any volume setting. I've tried replacing the speakers but to no avail. Could it be a sound board issue or possibly a wiring issue both look fine but I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
It could be capacitors. I know that's the "bandaid on a broken leg" approach, but it might help/fix your issue if you replace them. What kind of chip is used for audio processing? Could be bad traces as well. Can you post pics of the audio board?

P.s. Does the sound fade in and out? Or its bad from the moment you power on the board?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I would connect a simple 8ohm speaker to the JAMMA edge and see if the audio I get is correct or not. If it's correct, then the problem is the cabinet, if not then the board has some problem, very likely the sound board. I have one of these boards too, they are very picky with everything. My display hates its sync rate, and the board seems to hate my power supply. It will turn on only when it's in the mood.

Regards.

Last edited:

theGau

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
It doesn't fade in or out it's just super bassy and crackly from the start also the volume is always so low.

mk2.jpg

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Sounds like it's possibly some capacitors (no pun intended) that need replacement, if the sound is really low. Try replacing those on the sound board. Also, check your solder points near all of the connectors for breaks or cold joints. You can also carefully remove any socketed chips and check the traces there, that also might help with any spotty connections on the chip legs and sockets.

Will you be at the meet up this weekend? I'd be glad to help out if you bring your audio board with you.

theGau

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Unfortunately I work this weekend, but I will take it out and check those things. Any chance you could help down the road if I figure out the issue since you're in, I'm guessing, SE Pennsylvania?

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
I can help no problem. I'm in the Harrisburg area. If you have to ship it or anything that's cool as well. Send me a pm if you'd like. Hopefully we can get your MK2 working dude!

theGau

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Yeah definitely since I haven't soldered anything since high school but kinda need to get back into it. As for pm'ing I can't, I still haven't gotten any of privileges back since the great purge a year or so ago

theGau

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Hey I have to board out now, send me a email, it is in my profile maybe we could meet up Saturday. Reading is in between Harrisburg and Philly.